any books on developing child's intelligence

Old December 8th 03, 10:50 PM
H Schinske

Default any books on developing child's intelligence

i ) wrote:

2.5 years old is my target age. I need something that is more than a
cookbook, but rather something that explains what is happening in
their minds and how learning can improve them. thanks.

Do you mean how the child's intelligence develops, or how to *make* the child
more intelligent? Because you can't really do the latter. Plenty of things you
could do to make them dumber, but most of them I assume you're already not
doing ;-)

I recommend John Holt's books _How Children Learn_ and _How Children Fail_
(this is more about school-age children, but still interesting), and _Raising
Lifelong Learners_, by Lucy McCormick Calkins.

--Helen
Old December 9th 03, 04:55 PM
The Cat Who Walks By Himself

The absolute best book I read on child development is "What's Going On In
There", by Lise Eliot.

http://www.amazon.
com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553378252/qid=1070985285//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14
/102-0978216-5589755?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I've given it to every friend I have who's pregnant or trying to become
pregnant, and every one of them raves about it too.
Old December 9th 03, 06:23 PM
Lejla/Lyla

"Ignoramus25226" wrote in message
2.5 years old is my target age. I need something that is more than a
cookbook, but rather something that explains what is happening in
their minds and how learning can improve them. thanks.

I think my absolute basic book on development was "Magic Trees of the Mind"
by Marian Diamond and Janet Hopson. This book is dedicated to the whole
process of brain development that leads you into school classroom. It has a
good chapter on how to stimulate the mind of children during preschool. But
most of the book is on medical growth and social effects on child brain
development adapted to parents (who like me are as far from medical language
as can be).
Another book dedicated to learning is "Your Child's Growing Mind" by Jane M
Healy.

The book with practical ideas "Entertaining and Educating Your Preschool
Child" by Robin Gee and Susan Meredith - it has loads of examples what to do
(things to look at, things to listen to, learning to talk, energetic play,
messy play, imitating and pretending, outings and journeys, going swimming,
etc.) with illustrations. On the back it says "the emphasis is on having
fun, but the book also contains helpful information about the vital role of
the various types of play in the learning and development of children." Let
me know if you want me to scan a page for you and send it by email.

--
Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000

RECALL: "Amazing Baby™ Listen and Play" activity books DeliciousTruffles General 0 November 7th 03 09:59 PM
Childrens' books about starting pre-school Cheryl S. General 44 October 10th 03 03:28 PM
Good kids books! AlenasMom General 15 October 8th 03 05:26 PM
precocity vs intelligence Hillary Israeli General 19 September 10th 03 04:56 AM
[OT] What Is "Terrorism?" Catherine Woodgold General 39 August 10th 03 01:23 AM