Morning Sickness Survival Tips

Old February 17th 08, 02:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Morning Sickness Survival Tips

"Just eat a few saltines and you'll be ok".

I don't know about you, but as someone who suffered with prolonged,
severe morning sickness (which I affectionately call morning noon and
night sickness), when I hear someone say this, I just want to slug
them!

If you're suffering with nausea and vomiting of pregnancy, you're not
alone. Most women experience it to some degree during their first
trimester. If you're one of the unfortunate few whose symptoms last
longer than the typical 6-12 weeks, I empathize. I've had the same
experience with all 4 of my pregnancies. I have learned a few things
that helped however, and I hope you can get some relief with these
tips.

1) Getting your blood sugar regulated is priority #1.

One theory about why morning sickness is worse in the morning (and for
some women only occurs then) is because when you wake up from sleep,
you have low blood sugar. For some pregnant woman, going 8 hours
without food is just a bad idea.

You might find it helpful to eat a high protein snack before bed, and
even to eat a bite each time you get up in the night to go to the
bathroom. (Which in the beginning may be quite frequent!)

Personally, I found that what I did first thing in the morning was of
paramount importance. I had to eat a few bites of food *while still
lying down*. So I either put some food on a plate beside my bed or
asked my husband bring me a snack first thing in the morning.

Don't jump out of bed. Eat your snack slowly and lie still for a few
minutes afterwards. Then slowly get up and immediately go to the
kitchen and eat another bite. Again, emphasize protein.

2) Avoid foods that cause rapid blood sugar shifts.

Fruit juice, sugary snacks, processed cereal (the kind that comes in a
box), anything made with white flour, etc...these types of foods cause
your blood sugar to rapidly rise

http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Bot...002/46897.html

Morning sickness Clair Crooks Pregnancy 9 September 19th 06 03:01 AM
Morning Sickness? CY Pregnancy 6 September 5th 04 07:06 AM
morning sickness tips? (was ideas for valentines day) David Dalton Pregnancy 0 February 2nd 04 10:24 PM
Morning sickness. Ugh. Donna Pregnancy 15 January 11th 04 10:45 AM
Morning Sickness Defender Pregnancy 9 December 3rd 03 03:57 PM