Recovering from a C-section

Old June 18th 05, 08:32 PM
Vanessa

Default Recovering from a C-section

I lurk in this newsgroup even though I'm no longer pregnant and never
intend to be pregnant again (two miscarriages and two preemies with my
last coming early with all medical and physical prevention possible is
enough). There is often good advice here even though I don't carry some
of the same beliefs as many here.

One of the things I often see mentioned is how painful and traumatic
c-sections are. No, I'm not pushing elective c-section nor am I
trolling, however for those who must have a c-section I'd like to give
some words of encouragement and reduce a bit of fear.

My first c-section came when I was 24 weeks pregnant with my son in
2003. Due to what was later diagnosed as an incompetent cervix an
emergency c-section was performed. Zack was born at 6PM and rushed to
the NICU after being resuscitated...I was able to see him in the OR for
only a brief moment. No question in my mind that the next morning I was
going to get up and WALK down to that NICU to see him. Maybe it was the
fact that I had to, but I pulled myself out of that bed and never looked
back. The pain was aggravating, but nothing that was outstandingly
earth-shattering. I wanted to be with my son as much as possible and
after being released from the hospital was driving within a week. I was
sore, sure, but was able to alleviate this pain with nothing more than
Advil.

Zachary died due to overwhelming fungal sepsis at 16 days of age. That
emotional pain was much greater than any physical pain the C-section
caused. When I became pregnant last year my OB, who I trust with all my
heart, explained that due to the fact I had such an early c-section with
Zack he would suggest that I have a repeat c-section. He explained that
medical evidence showed I *could* have a vaginal birth but feared the
scar tissue from such an early c-section *might* could possibly rupture
if I labored long. He didn't want that risk, I didn't want that risk.
"Birth experience" be darned...all I wanted was a healthy baby with as
minimal risk as possible to my own health. Samantha was born, after a
cerclage and 3 months of bedrest, at 34 weeks via another emergency
c-section. I was able to see and hold her in the OR for with an APGAR
score of 9 she had no need to be rushed to that NICU. She did stay in
the NICU for 23 days, however. Again, the pain from the C-section was
aggravating but not mind-boggling. Again I hauled myself out of that
bed as quickly as I could, this time refusing morphine and heading
straight to Advil. After my discharge and my husband's return to work I
drove myself to the hospital daily. I returned to normal activity
levels (without being stupid, of course) within a week of the surgery.

At my 6 week checkup I read the report: My area of scarring from my
first c-section *had* left a *very* thin spot in my uterus as it
stretched to accommodate a much larger Samantha. The c-section may have
possibly saved my life.

What am I driveling on about? Yes, a c-section is major surgery. It
is, however, nothing to be particularly scared about and will not
necessarily be something that keeps a new mother down for days and weeks
or interfere in her tending to her new baby.

Vanessa

Watch Samantha grow!
http://www.wickedracing19.com/samantha

Old June 19th 05, 12:27 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Vanessa wrote:

What am I driveling on about? Yes, a c-section is major surgery. It
is, however, nothing to be particularly scared about and will not
necessarily be something that keeps a new mother down for days and weeks
or interfere in her tending to her new baby.

I don't think that anyone disputes the fact that necessary
c-sections are marvels of modern medical technology that we are
blessed to have available. I think everyone is also in agreement
that it's wonderful that c-sections have become substantially safer
over the years. And of course people vary in how good or bad their
experiences were with the c-sections themselves or the recoveries.
Just as no one should pooh-pooh your good recovery experiences,
neither should anyone pooh-pooh someone else's difficult recovery
experiences. And of course, those who must have c-sections should
hear good stories and know that even though complications are
possible, not everyone experiences them and there are ways to
make the experience better for mom and baby.
The only matter of debate is defining when c-sections
*are* medically necessary and what to do about c-sections that
are *not* medically necessary. There is a very good booklet
on cesareans at http://www.maternitywise.org, and the tables
of supporting data have an amazing amount of data from current
studies on almost every aspect of c-sections available.
In my personal opinion, the main thing to worry about
when considering an *elective* c-section is not so much the
risks to baby or mother, but the risks to future babies.
Obviously, in the case of medically necessary c-sections, one
shouldn't worry at all, as one is doing the best one can with
the situation at hand.
Congratulations on the birth of your babes. I'm
glad everything went well for you, even though it was a rocky
road getting there. I'll observe, however, that while I get
your desire to portray c-sections in a more favorable light
for those who need them, some of your remarks are rather
inflammatory for those who would prefer to avoid c-sections when
not medically necessary.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 19th 05, 01:41 AM

I have to agree with Ericka - Vanessa has a unique perspective because
she has had a very traumatic reproductive history - both high risk
pregnancies and tragic losses, and a first section that was medically
necessary under emergency circumstances.

I come at sections from the opposite direction. I had a totally
uneventful low risk first pregnancy that went full term. I ended up
with a section due to unnecessary and invasive medical intervention,
that was mostly about one size fits all medical protocols and
impatience.

The difference between myself and Vanessa is like the difference
between a person who has found out their heart surgery was totally
unnecessary and someone whose life was saved by theirs. The former ends
up furious about unnecessary pain, risk and stress, the latter ends up
profoundly grateful, and completely accepting of the experience because
the outcome justified anything they might have gone through.

My section was not like Vanessa's - because it was unnecessary, it
exposed both myself and baby to needless risks, and my next two
pregnancies and deliveries to risks (such as increased odds of placenta
previa, placenta accreta, uterine rupture). Don't misunderstand me.
Like any mother, had there been a medical problem, there is nothing I
wouldn't have done to end up with a healthy baby, but that was not the
situation I was in when I had my section.

My subsequent babies were both VBACs. Having given birth both ways, all
things being equal in terms of healthy mom, healthy baby, no medical
crisis in view.......I would hands down choose a vaginal birth. They
were better experiences and they were faster and easier to recover
from.

Had I NEEDED a section to save my life or my babies, I wouldn't have
minded any of it - but that wasn't how it was, nor is it how it is for
the majority of women who have sections (possibly a third of the
sections done these days are medically justifyable).

Mary G.

Old June 19th 05, 04:24 AM
Michelle J. Haines

Vanessa wrote:

earth-shattering. I wanted to be with my son as much as possible and
after being released from the hospital was driving within a week. I was
sore, sure, but was able to alleviate this pain with nothing more than
Advil.

*snip*
straight to Advil. After my discharge and my husband's return to work I
drove myself to the hospital daily. I returned to normal activity
levels (without being stupid, of course) within a week of the surgery.

"without being stupid" but "driving within a week" both times? I was
told -strenuously- not to drive for at least four weeks.

Of course, this is at least in part because if you don't let the
incision heal more and get into an accident, you might eviscerate all
over the car.

What am I driveling on about? Yes, a c-section is major surgery. It
is, however, nothing to be particularly scared about and will not
necessarily be something that keeps a new mother down for days and weeks
or interfere in her tending to her new baby.

After my two, I have plenty to be scared about and will avoid a third if
at all possible.

Michelle
Flutist
Old June 19th 05, 06:05 AM
Vanessa

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

I don't think that anyone disputes the fact that necessary
c-sections are marvels of modern medical technology that we are
blessed to have available. I think everyone is also in agreement
that it's wonderful that c-sections have become substantially safer
over the years.

After lurking here on and off for a couple of years I've seen much more
negative than positive comments regarding c-section, often from people
who have not had to experience one and have often had to sit on my hands
to keep from "typing in". I understand the stance of medically
necessary vs. elective. I don't support elective c-section just for
avoidance of a vaginal birth or picking a birthdate or for mere
convenience. What I do feel is that there has been quite a bit written
in this newsgroup that is just plain scary to those who face a necessary
c-section. For some reason I chose today to chime in with my own story
in the hope that someone who might have no other choice or might
eventually face an emergency situation will understand that a c-section
isn't necessarily an event which will make a new mother have a
completely horrible birth experience.

And of course people vary in how good or bad their
experiences were with the c-sections themselves or the recoveries.
Just as no one should pooh-pooh your good recovery experiences,
neither should anyone pooh-pooh someone else's difficult recovery
experiences.

This is most certainly true. Different people react differently to
pain, medication and even healing.

In my personal opinion, the main thing to worry about
when considering an *elective* c-section is not so much the
risks to baby or mother, but the risks to future babies.

shrug I don't consider surgery for unnecessary reasons an option in my
own life. This is probably why I don't opt for a stomach stapling or
tummy tuck that would so help my oh-so unflattering figure To each her
own, however; if someone does elect a c-section it is truly none of my
business.

Congratulations on the birth of your babes. I'm
glad everything went well for you, even though it was a rocky
road getting there.

Thank you=) It really has been a tough four years. We've gotten a
beautiful daughter out of quite a bit of emotional pain, however...that
is our blessing.

I'll observe, however, that while I get
your desire to portray c-sections in a more favorable light
for those who need them, some of your remarks are rather
inflammatory for those who would prefer to avoid c-sections when
not medically necessary.

? I find nothing in my post that someone should take offense to or find
"inflammatory". I did not support or defend elective c-section. I only
presented my story. It should not be any more inflammatory than any
other story of birth in this newsgroup..
Vanessa

Old June 19th 05, 06:15 AM
Vanessa

The difference between myself and Vanessa is like the difference
between a person who has found out their heart surgery was totally
unnecessary and someone whose life was saved by theirs. The former ends
up furious about unnecessary pain, risk and stress, the latter ends up
profoundly grateful, and completely accepting of the experience because
the outcome justified anything they might have gone through.

What a very insightful and accurate response! While I don't know the
reason why you had your c-section, I can understand the anger you would
feel due to being subjected to an unneeded surgery that so changes your
future pregnancies.

My subsequent babies were both VBACs. Having given birth both ways, all
things being equal in terms of healthy mom, healthy baby, no medical
crisis in view.......I would hands down choose a vaginal birth. They
were better experiences and they were faster and easier to recover
from.

And I'll never know the experience of a vaginal birth. It's not
something that bothers me. I differ from many here, I suppose, in that
I see birth as only a means to an end and that end is another baby that
I so badly wanted, one that I could bring home and love. As you said
earlier in your reply, my high-risk status and multiple losses make my
own experience slightly unique from many (although I know there are
others in this newsgroup who have suffered walking this same road).
Pregnancy and birth is nothing glorious or wonderful to me; quite the
contrary...it's a frightening world that took courage to enter into this
last time.

Thanks for your words of wisdom, Mary.
Vanessa

Old June 19th 05, 06:22 AM
Vanessa

Michelle J. Haines wrote:

"without being stupid" but "driving within a week" both times? I was
told -strenuously- not to drive for at least four weeks.

I am an extremely stubborn and willful person. When I was told upon
discharge when I had my son that I could not drive for two (yes, two)
weeks I asked why. The answer I received from my OB was that my
abdominal muscles might be so weak or sore that I could not slam on
brakes if needed. Knowing my husband was wanting to save
vacation/family leave days for Zachary's discharge (which was not to be)
I asked if I could bend the rules so I could visit him daily. The
doctor told me to give driving a try in an empty parking lot seven days
following Zack's birth, making sure I slammed on brakes several times. I
did and was fine. When Samantha was born, I didn't even bother asking.
I waited a week and tested the waters.

Of course, this is at least in part because if you don't let the
incision heal more and get into an accident, you might eviscerate all
over the car.

This would be a problem not only as a driver but also a passenger, would
it not?

After my two, I have plenty to be scared about and will avoid a third if
at all possible.

And I hope and pray that you have you wish.

Michelle
Flutist

Vanessa
High School Teacher

Old June 19th 05, 06:23 AM
Nan

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 05:05:00 GMT, Vanessa
wrote:

After lurking here on and off for a couple of years I've seen much more
negative than positive comments regarding c-section, often from people
who have not had to experience one and have often had to sit on my hands
to keep from "typing in". I understand the stance of medically
necessary vs. elective. I don't support elective c-section just for
avoidance of a vaginal birth or picking a birthdate or for mere
convenience. What I do feel is that there has been quite a bit written
in this newsgroup that is just plain scary to those who face a necessary
c-section. For some reason I chose today to chime in with my own story
in the hope that someone who might have no other choice or might
eventually face an emergency situation will understand that a c-section
isn't necessarily an event which will make a new mother have a
completely horrible birth experience.

While I fully appreciate your feelings on the subject, I have to say
that the reason there are more negative than positive comments is
likely because there is a far greater risk of negative results of a
c-section.
I've had two, myself. My first was very much like yours (not for the
same reasons, but the recovery). I healed and recovered pretty
quickly, and would have been one to pop in and say that c-sections
*can* be an okay experience for many women.
However, after my last one, I'm reluctant to fall on that side of the
coin.
One week after my section, on the day I had my staples removed, my
incision eviscerated. While I was standing in the middle of a
drugstore. Without going into the gory details, I'll just say I came
very close to dying that day.
So I'll always be one to be open about possible risks of a major
surgery to anyone who asks.... I feel it's vital to be educated on all
possible risks for every procedure someone might have done.
I think it's irresponsible to not attempt to educate others.

Nan

Old June 19th 05, 06:47 AM
Vanessa

Nan wrote:

While I fully appreciate your feelings on the subject, I have to say
that the reason there are more negative than positive comments is
likely because there is a far greater risk of negative results of a
c-section.

I must admit that I find c-section comments much more credible and
easier to swallow coming from a woman who has *had* the experience. Of
course this is USENET and all are invited to have an opinion=)

One week after my section, on the day I had my staples removed, my
incision eviscerated. While I was standing in the middle of a
drugstore. Without going into the gory details, I'll just say I came
very close to dying that day.

Wow. How terrible. Out of curiosity, why were your staples left in so
long? Both times I was discharged on day four (state workers insurance,
which is basically Blue Cross/Blue Shild requires no more than a four
day stay and I stayed as long as I could because of the fact I was
leaving babies in the NICU) my staples were removed right before I
walked out the hospital room door. I was sent home with nothing more
than Steri-strips, which the nurse confided were only there to make
mothers feel better and provided no protection. She did ensure that I
was sutured on the inside, however.

A week after my discharge I had a bit of bright red vaginal bleeding and
called my OB's office just to make sure I'd not possibly hurt myself
inside and was basically told there was nothing I could do outside of
abdominal exercises or heavy lifting that would cause me injury.

So I'll always be one to be open about possible risks of a major
surgery to anyone who asks.... I feel it's vital to be educated on all
possible risks for every procedure someone might have done.
I think it's irresponsible to not attempt to educate others.

I agree that it is important to know the risks. I do feel it just as
important to be an educator, however, not an instiller of fear. I'm a
not a doctor, so telling my story is all that I feel appropriate. Your
experience was completely horrendous...sharing that is likewise appropriate.
Vanessa

Old June 19th 05, 07:11 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Vanessa wrote:

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

After lurking here on and off for a couple of years I've seen much more
negative than positive comments regarding c-section, often from people
who have not had to experience one and have often had to sit on my hands
to keep from "typing in". I understand the stance of medically
necessary vs. elective. I don't support elective c-section just for
avoidance of a vaginal birth or picking a birthdate or for mere
convenience. What I do feel is that there has been quite a bit written
in this newsgroup that is just plain scary to those who face a necessary
c-section. For some reason I chose today to chime in with my own story
in the hope that someone who might have no other choice or might
eventually face an emergency situation will understand that a c-section
isn't necessarily an event which will make a new mother have a
completely horrible birth experience.

I think that's a perfectly valid thing to do. No need to
sit on your hands. I'm sure folks facing a necessary c-section
would be very grateful to hear positive stories from those who've
been there. I obviously don't have those stories to tell, but I'm
sure if I *had* had a positive c-section experience, I'd be happy
to share it when relevant and would attempt to share whatever it
was that I thought helped make the experience a better one for me
than it might have been for some other folks.

shrug I don't consider surgery for unnecessary reasons an option in my
own life. This is probably why I don't opt for a stomach stapling or
tummy tuck that would so help my oh-so unflattering figure To each her
own, however; if someone does elect a c-section it is truly none of my
business.

Sure, everyone gets to make their own decisions. What is
worrisome, however, is when people are not given accurate
information. Unfortunately, many, if not most, women are not
currently being given accurate information about the risks of
c-sections. This isn't a huge deal in emergency c-section cases,
as there really aren't other options in those situations. In the
case of elective c-sections, I think it makes a lot of sense to
ensure that women who are faced with that decision are armed
with as much information as is available and accurate in order
to do so. Once they've got the information, the choice is up
to them, and it's none of my business what they choose or why.

I'll observe, however, that while I get
your desire to portray c-sections in a more favorable light
for those who need them, some of your remarks are rather
inflammatory for those who would prefer to avoid c-sections when
not medically necessary.

? I find nothing in my post that someone should take offense to or find
"inflammatory". I did not support or defend elective c-section. I only
presented my story. It should not be any more inflammatory than any
other story of birth in this newsgroup..

If you're truly curious, it was the following statement
that is likely to raise hackles among those who would prefer to
choose VBAC when possible:

"Birth experience" be darned...all I wanted was a healthy baby

This language seems to imply that there are other women
who think birth experience is more important than a healthy
baby. I have yet to meet such a woman, though the law of large
numbers suggests that there are probably a few out there somewhere.
It also suggests that the only benefit to a VBAC is the birth
experience, which is also not true. Mind you, I'm not saying
that you should have chosen differently, or that your reasons
for an ERCS weren't good enough, or that I would have chosen
differently in your situation. I'm just saying that it's one
of those tiresome statements that folks who choose less
intervention hear a lot, and usually in a context that makes
it clear that the person believes that someone who *really*
cared about the welfare of her baby would choose differently.
You may not have meant it that way, but it tends to come across
that way.

Best wishes,
Ericka