Delivery is near, what to bring to the hospital

Old May 16th 07, 12:44 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Delivery is near, what to bring to the hospital

Yes, the time is coming up fast! Would like to know what to bring to
the hospital. We have list we got from our baby classes but would also
like other ideas, also what husband should bring.

Old May 16th 07, 06:37 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, the time is coming up fast! Would like to know what to bring to
the hospital. We have list we got from our baby classes but would also
like other ideas, also what husband should bring.

My Mom stuff:
-House coat
-Pair of pjs
-Socks/underwear/etc
-Change of loose, comfy clothes
-My own stuff (like tooth brush, paste, soap, shampoo)
-Pillow
-Slippers
-Snacks like suckers or freezies for before
-Snacks like a bag of chips or candies for after
-A Lansinoh type cream if you plan to bf (better safe than sorry!)
-Breast pads (again, better safe than sorry!)
-My own choice brand of pads (the over night or heavy flow ones)

Dad stuff:
*If you're staying over night*
-Change of clothes
-Pillow
-Little bit of money for meals
*If you're not staying over night*
-Maybe just a bit of money for any meal for yourself or for Mom (hospital
food tends to be real yuck, IMO)

Baby stuff:
-A few of my own choice of diapers/wipes
-Outfit to go home
-Receiving blanket
-Extra sleeper/undershirt/socks
-Hat
-Car seat
-Some like to bring their own choice of formula right from the start if
planning from the beginning to formula feed and their own preferred bottles

Other random things:
-Camera/camcorder
-Something to play some music
-Books/games/deck of cards
-Change for pay phone if a phone isn't supplied or you don't have a cell
phone (or can't use it in the hospital and would have to go outside)
-List of people to call
-Portable DVD player (maybe?)

I dunno... Just some things off the top of my head... Some might be useless
or pointless, some might not be. I probably missed a few important ones
that lots tend to like to bring. (This is coming from someone who forgot a
receiving blanket when DD1 was born!!)

Old May 16th 07, 08:03 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Engram

I can't really add much to what xkatx listed.

One thing you might want to bring is something like an extra large t-shirt
or open front shirt that you don't mind throwing away in which to give
birth. Some women prefer to have their own clothes for the birth and many
hospitals allow this. Just be prepared for it to be ruined, maybe even cut
off you if you don't manage to give birth vaginally and have to be rushed
off for a c-section.

One thing your partner might want to bring is something to wear in the
shower. Many women find it beneficial to stand under a hot shower during
earlier stages of labour as it eases some of the pain, but you may need to
be supported by your partner during contractions so he should be prepared to
get wet if you decide to use the shower. Unless he's comfortable to strip
down to his jocks in front of the hospital stuff, an extra pair of shorts
and a t-shirt is a must.

An extra pair of pants for yourself might be a good idea, too. My waters
broke at the hospital (I was induced with DS) while I was fully clothed. Had
to have something to change into because labour didn't start properly for
another few hours and I wasn't about to swan about the hospital with my
bottom hanging out of the back of a hospital gown.

Another things is to bring a couple of maternity bras if you are planning to
breastfeed. If you tend to get cold easily then a doona/quilt for a single
bed might be something you can throw in the car and bring in later. Even
though I was planning to breastfeed I actually bought a tin of formula and a
couple of bottles, but didn't take them to hospital. Both DS and DD lost
more than 10% of their body weight in the first couple of days and they
wouldn't let them out of hospital unless I was willing to supplement
breastfeeding with formula. Once breastfeeding was established after a
couple of weeks, we chucked the formula.

And that's all I can think of right now.

Engram

Old May 16th 07, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

wrote:
Yes, the time is coming up fast! Would like to know what to bring to
the hospital. We have list we got from our baby classes but would also
like other ideas, also what husband should bring.

It kind of depends on how long you're planning to stay. With Sam I was
only there for 30 minutes before he popped out and hadn't my
bloodpressure gone through the roof we would have gone home a few (2 I
think) hours later. They kept us in overnight which was fine, but my
then partner just went and got some stuff from home when we found out we
were staying.
I ended up needing a frash pair of undies (obviously, if you don't want
to stay in the beautiful mesh things they provide there) and some fresh
clothes to go home in. I had a shower right after delivery and they had
soap for me to use there, so I didn't need any bath stuff except
toothbrush/toothpaste. My hairbrush was a must (hair to my hips), as was
a nursing bra. For Sam we had the carseat and clothes and a blanket (end
of September and it was starting to get cold).
We didn't bring any snacks or drinks, but I have to say the hospital
food was really nice in our hospital, besides I wasn't all that hungry
with all those endorphines running through my blood ;-) And during
labour I had actually forgotten how to drink (honestly, I was so thirsty
but every time I thought about drinking it seemed so complicated. Very
strange feeling), and food was really not on my mind at all. However, If
I was to take food with me it would probably be things like juicy fruit
(slices of pears, mangos, nectarines,...) and things that require
minimal chewing (Can so not imagine chewing being fun during a
contraction) because of the liquid and the sugar. However I don't think
a lot of hospitals allow food during labour, so yeah.

Other than that I think it really depends if you're planning to go home
"right" after the baby's born or if you're planning to stay for a few
days. If an emergency happens there's always time to send someone home
later to get your things, so maybe make a list of things you would like
to have... (I made a list the night before I went into labour. I'm still
joking Sam thought "Ok, this is about as ready as they'll ever be, I
might as well come out now." so I didn't have a bag packed or anything)

cu
nicole
Old May 16th 07, 09:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Thank you! some very good ideas here!

Old May 16th 07, 10:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, the time is coming up fast! Would like to know what to bring to
the hospital. We have list we got from our baby classes but would also
like other ideas, also what husband should bring.

My stuff included toiletries (I wanted nice stuff, not theirs, but I didn't
take towels). A nightie, and a couple of spares, although I only used one or
two iirc - but I left the same day) dressing gown & slippers. I took a few
pairs of knickers, and quite a lot of nighttime sanitary towels. I took
books and a walkman - very handy for the waiting around times before labour
started, for both me and hubby. I also took munchies and drink - I wanted to
be able to have a can of coke when ever I wanted I found sucky sweets
very nice during labour as they helped refresh my dry mouth when I didn't
want a drink. People on here told me about that, and it was the best thing I
took! Aside from that, I took the baby stuff and I think that was it. Don't
forget your camera and batteries!

Oh and it sounds really vain, but I took make uo to as I wanted to look nice
in the photos - don't bother, you'll not get time

Lucy x