Cut off point for epidural

Old May 16th 07, 09:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Cut off point for epidural

What is the cut off point for an epidural? I seem to be getting
conflicting answers. Some say 6cm, others say 7, some 8. Does the
anethesiologist make that decision?

Also, on average how long is transistion labor? How much worse is it
than active?

Old May 16th 07, 10:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

What is the cut off point for an epidural? I seem to be getting
conflicting answers. Some say 6cm, others say 7, some 8. Does the
anethesiologist make that decision?

Also, on average how long is transistion labor? How much worse is it
than active?

there really is no cut off point, it's not like pethidine or other narcotics
where it gets through to the baby in moderate quantities and there is a risk
of supression of breathing when it's born.

I have heard of people being given them at fully dilated, you'd have to not
have an urge to push though, otherwise there is no way you'd be still enough
to get it in.

Many people will say you are too late when you are showing clear signs of
transition simply because although transition is hard, it is a normal place
to cry out for help and usually if you've got that far, you can manage and
it's a shame to give in for what is a reasonably short time - but really
that should be the women's decision.

If the anethesiologist is called, as long as they can get it in, they will,
they are unlikely to make judgements about progress, that will be the nurse,
midwife or doctor prior to calling them.

I think you'll just have to call the hospital, or your OB or something to
find out what is local policy.

Anne

Old May 16th 07, 11:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Transition, whenever that is.

I'm afraid this is not correct Larry, I don't think anyone has every come up
with anything convincing about giving them at some points being worse than
any others and as the insertion is very similar to that of a spinal for a
c-section, they can be done at any point, think of all the women who have
c-sections at fully dilated?

Personally I have had them in transition, first time no one realised it was
transition and I think if they had, they wouldn't have given it to me, 2nd
time, though it was for various reasons a decision that had been made prior
to labour, that I was to have an epidural as soon as possible, the midwives
did not call for it, they never said it was too late, but they were doing
the "you don't need it dear" thing. Thankfully it was then ordered by a
doctor, it was still about 4hrs to delivery at that stage and it was very
necessary.

Anne

Old May 17th 07, 02:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

wrote in message
ups.com...
What is the cut off point for an epidural? I seem to be getting
conflicting answers. Some say 6cm, others say 7, some 8. Does the
anethesiologist make that decision?

I had one at about 7cm. There wasn't any question of not being able to have
one at that point, I think they'd have done one at 8cm too. I think 9cm
they'd have tried to persuade me not to though.

Also, on average how long is transistion labor? How much worse is it
than active?

Depends on the person and the labour. Just as how long your labour will be
in total :-)
Debbie

Old May 17th 07, 04:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Yiddishkeit

On May 16, 4:45 pm, wrote:
What is the cut off point for an epidural? I seem to be getting
conflicting answers. Some say 6cm, others say 7, some 8. Does the
anethesiologist make that decision?

I had a spinal at 9 cm with #3 as the epidural would not have taken
effect until after the baby was born. I don't think there is a cut off
point, but there is a chance if you are late in the labour and you
want an epidural it would not take effect in time.

Also, on average how long is transistion labor? How much worse is it
than active?

transition can be differerent for every labour. I found transition
fine, I found pushing to be worse, I remember actually almost pushing
myself off the bed when I was pushing LOL. and i kept accidentally
kicking the nurses. (my doula and the nurse were each holding my legs
to help me push.

Old May 18th 07, 04:19 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Cheryl

On May 17, 6:45 am, wrote:
What is the cut off point for an epidural? I seem to be getting
conflicting answers. Some say 6cm, others say 7, some 8. Does the
anethesiologist make that decision?

The nurse/midwife will make the decision and it's usually based more
on how quickly you are progressing rather than where you are at the
time you ask for one. When I was in labour with my first I asked for
an epidural about 30 mins after I'd arrived at the hospital but when
they checked me I'd dilated 3cm in that 30 mins so they told me I
couldn't have one as I would be pushing by the time the anaesthetist
turned up.

Also, on average how long is transistion labor? How much worse is it
than active?

Transition is the point where I have *4 times* told the midwife that I
couldn't do it any more, there must be a better way of getting this
baby out, why can't I just be somewhere else while the baby is being
born. It's not so much that it's worse, it's more that you've been in
labour for long enough to know what the contractions are like so when
they change to get closer together I start to doubt that they are ever
going to stop even though I rationally know that they will. As for
average, well the amount of dilation you need to do is about 2-4cms so
it will take as long as it took you to dilate the 2-4cm before it
usually. In my case that meant 20mins, for some others it will more
like 1-2 hours.

Cheryl