Dr. Mercola Warns About Vaccine Risk With Autism

Old April 24th 05, 03:11 PM
Ilena Rose

Default Dr. Mercola Warns About Vaccine Risk With Autism

The Age of Autism: The Amish anomaly

By Dan Olmsted
UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL

Lancaster, PA, Apr. 18 (UPI) -- Part 1 of 2. Where are the autistic
Amish? Here in Lancaster County, heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country,
there should be well over 100 with some form of the disorder.

I have come here to find them, but so far my mission has failed, and
the very few I have identified raise some very interesting questions
about some widely held views on autism.

The mainstream scientific consensus says autism is a complex genetic
disorder, one that has been around for millennia at roughly the same
prevalence. That prevalence is now considered to be 1 in every 166
children born in the United States.

Applying that model to Lancaster County, there ought to be 130 Amish
men, women and children here with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Well over 100, in rough terms.

Typically, half would harbor milder variants such as Asperger's
Disorder or the catch-all Pervasive Development Disorder, Not
Otherwise Specified -- PDD-NOS for short.

So let's drop those from our calculation, even though "mild" is a
relative term when it comes to autism.

That means upwards of 50 Amish people of all ages should be living in
Lancaster County with full-syndrome autism, the "classic autism" first
described in 1943 by child psychiatrist Leo Kanner at Johns Hopkins
University. The full-syndrome disorder is hard to miss, characterized
by "markedly abnormal or impaired development in social interaction
and communication and a markedly restricted repertoire of activities
and interests," according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of
Mental Disorders.

Why bother looking for them among the Amish? Because they could hold
clues to the cause of autism.

The first half-dozen articles in this ongoing series on the roots and
rise of autism examined the initial studies and early accounts of the
disorder, first identified by Kanner among 11 U.S. children born
starting in 1931.

Kanner wrote that his 1938 encounter with a child from Mississippi,
identified as Donald T., "made me aware of a behavior pattern not
known to me or anyone else theretofore." Kanner literally wrote the
book on "Child Psychiatry," published in 1934.

If Kanner was correct -- if autism was new and increasingly prevalent
-- something must have happened in the 1930s to trigger those first
autistic cases. Genetic disorders do not begin suddenly or increase
dramatically in prevalence in a short period of time.

That is why it is worth looking for autistic Amish -- to test
reasoning against reality. Largely cut off for hundreds of years from
American culture and scientific progress, the Amish might have had
less exposure to some new factor triggering autism in the rest of
population.

Surprising, but no one seems to have looked.

Of course, the Amish world is insular by nature; finding a small
subset of Amish is a challenge by definition. Many Amish, particularly
Old Order, ride horse-and-buggies, eschew electricity, do not attend
public school, will not pose for pictures and do not chat casually
with the "English," as they warily call the non-Amish.

Still, some Amish today interact with the outside world in many ways.
Some drive, use phones, see doctors and send out Christmas cards with
family photos. They all still refer to themselves as "Plain," but the
definition of that word varies quite a bit.

So far, from sources inside and outside the Amish community, I have
identified three Amish residents of Lancaster County who apparently
have full-syndrome autism, all of them children.

A local woman told me there is one classroom with about 30
"special-needs" Amish children. In that classroom, there is one
autistic Amish child.

Another autistic Amish child does not go to school.

The third is that woman's pre-school-age daughter.

If there were more, she said, she would know it.

What I learned about those children is the subject of the next column.

--

This ongoing series aims to be interactive with readers and will take
note of comment, criticism and suggestions. E-mail:

Here's the link:

http://www.mercola.com/blog/2005/apr...istic_children

Please know that the Quackwatch / Healthfraud Networks that you are
encountering here have been suing and libeling Dr. Mercola for years

Even tho he was paid in a "settlement" after the second time Guerrilla
Quack Barrett sued him ... Quack Barrett's team goes after him ... NO
HONOR whatsoever ...

Just the mention of his name ... and the Quacks attack! Barrett rules
from his basement and idiots like you see here attack on the Newsgroup
.... filthy tactics.

http://www.BreastImplantAwareness.or...htm#Guerrillas

Very important info you posted ... thanks!

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org

Old April 24th 05, 03:38 PM
Jeff

Who cares what Marcola warns about? He is a complete idiot who is a sorry
excuse for a person.

Jeff

Old April 24th 05, 04:01 PM

Who cares what a moron like you thinks about that doesn't even address
the central issues raised but just shoots his ignorant mouth off?

Dr. Mercola has three decades of clinical experience to have base his
views on and has successfully treated tens of thousands of patients
from across the world.

Old April 24th 05, 06:43 PM
HCN

wrote in message
ups.com...
Who cares what a moron like you thinks about that doesn't even address
the central issues raised but just shoots his ignorant mouth off?

Dr. Mercola has three decades of clinical experience to have base his
views on and has successfully treated tens of thousands of patients
from across the world.

So what is the source of this information. His website?

Is this the same guy who sells a bunch of stuff on his website, including
some stuff that has received some attention because he claims it works for
things without proof?

See http://www.fda.gov/cder/warn/cyber/2005/CL134e.pdf

Old April 24th 05, 08:00 PM
Jason

In article .net, "Jeff"
wrote:

Who cares what Marcola warns about? He is a complete idiot who is a sorry
excuse for a person.

Jeff

Jeff,
I suggest that you look up this word in your dictionary
ad hominem
If you want an excellent example--re-read your post.

We would take you more serious if you explained to us why Dr. Mercola is
wrong about what he wrote--making use of data and facts to support your
point of view.

If you made such a statement in a college debate--you would lose lots of
points and end up losing the debate. For those same reasons, I believe
that most people in this newsgroup believe that you have lost this debate
in relation to Dr. Marcola.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old April 24th 05, 09:48 PM
Peter Moran

wrote in message
ups.com...
Who cares what a moron like you thinks about that doesn't even address
the central issues raised but just shoots his ignorant mouth off?

Dr. Mercola has three decades of clinical experience to have base his
views on and has successfully treated tens of thousands of patients
from across the world.

You could say the same for any quack, with equal lack of evidence. .

Mercola is an idiot who makes strident, and dangerous medical claims on the
basis of absurd evidence. One example that sticks in my mind is his claim
that vaccination against polio is unnecessary because you cannot eat polio
if you don't eat sugar, which must be news to many impoverished and
paralyzed Indians and Nigerians.

Your support for this fool does you no credit.

My qualifications trump Mercola's so you are forced on your own logic to
take what I say as final truth.

Peter Moran

Old April 24th 05, 09:49 PM
Peter Moran

That should, of course, be "get polio"

P Moran

Old April 24th 05, 10:57 PM
Tim Campbell

Jeff wrote:
Who cares what Marcola warns about? He is a complete idiot who is a

sorry
excuse for a person.

Jeff

My health has been dramatically improved by applying some of what Dr.
Mercola writes about.

If, those of you who are so skeptical would just try some of his health
suggestions you'd see.

Mercola's cool...and he offers sound advice.

Old April 25th 05, 01:16 AM
David Wright

In article . com,
Tim Campbell wrote:

Jeff wrote:
Who cares what Marcola warns about? He is a complete idiot who is a

sorry
excuse for a person.

Jeff

My health has been dramatically improved by applying some of what Dr.
Mercola writes about.

Your physical health, maybe. Your mental health is in poor shape.

If, those of you who are so skeptical would just try some of his health
suggestions you'd see.

Mercola's cool...and he offers sound advice.

On the contrary, many of the articles on his web site are nonsensical.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
"His staff loves to say Bush is a man who doesn't know the
meaning of the word 'quit.' Well, apparently he's not all
that conversant with the word 'shame' either." (Will Durst)