can a toddler learn to breastfeed?

Old June 27th 06, 01:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default can a toddler learn to breastfeed?

my toddler was forced to wean at 17 months when my milk abruptly vanished
when I became pregnant (we were only doing 1 feed per day, so it probably
just wasn't enough to maintain supply when combined with pregnancy).

With that behind us, I always considered that whatever milk I had in future
that he had as much right to as the baby, he showed no interest at first,
then showed some but couldn't do it, occasionally got a taste and decided it
was to sweet, on and off has showed an interest and got into a nursing
position and put my nipple in his mouth, but made no attempt to latch, I
assumed as he grew older he would just totally go away from it.

But then, just recently his interest after being non existant for quite a
while has ramped up and suddenly is mouth to nipple action is pretty close
to latching, to the extent that there is suction there and if I squeeze my
boob then he gets milk. He will do this for about a minute, have clearly got
milk and swallowed it, then he comes off, seems thankful, licks his lips and
lets his sister get one with things.

So I suppose my evidence is that a toddler can learn to breastfeed, he's not
fully latching properly, but he's gone from no clue to obtaining suction,
has anyone else experienced anything like this? any ideas of what to say to
him when he does try, he's very aware of names of body parts and fairly good
at understanding directions so I could explain things to him, if I knew what
I wanted to say!

Cheers

Anne

Old June 29th 06, 01:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

All I have to say is god bless for you being willing to encourage him
-- if I could get my 16 month old to give up that last nursing session
she is hooked on I would be one happy mama!

Elle

Old June 30th 06, 12:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message
oups.com...
All I have to say is god bless for you being willing to encourage him
-- if I could get my 16 month old to give up that last nursing session
she is hooked on I would be one happy mama!

I suppose it all depends how you feel about it, at 16 months he was having 1
nursing session and it was a GOOD THING, what I mean is that he woke up at 7
and came to bed for an hour to nurse, which was much nice than getting up to
take him downstairs for normal breakfast, so life was much more tricky when
the milk vanished, because of that background I always had in my mind that
if he wanted it he could have it, so it's not been an issue, he just has to
let his little sister get in position first and he has to hold himself in
position.

Cheers

Anne

Old June 30th 06, 09:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers wrote:

I suppose it all depends how you feel about it, at 16 months he was having 1
nursing session and it was a GOOD THING, what I mean is that he woke up at 7
and came to bed for an hour to nurse, which was much nice than getting up to
take him downstairs for normal breakfast, so life was much more tricky when
the milk vanished, because of that background I always had in my mind that
if he wanted it he could have it, so it's not been an issue, he just has to
let his little sister get in position first and he has to hold himself in
position.

Mine is very committed to nursing before bed, which makes it hard for
anyone else to get her down at night. Naps fine during the day without
me but at night she really wants it. We are thinking of trying for #2
and I feel like I need a little time off for my boobs before I start
the cycle again!

Elle