BF in IKEA - customer complained!

Old November 6th 03, 09:56 PM
Michelle Podnar

Default BF in IKEA - customer complained!

I find it strange that they had a problem. The Ikea here is very BF
friendly. I have BF many times in the cafiteria, the BF room (DD got to a
point when she got very distracted, so it was nice), and I have even seen
people walking around while BF (never able to do that)

Sorry about your friend's experience.

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
This is second hand as it happened to a freind of mine last week who's
baby started to cry so she sat down in one of the IKEA rooms and very
discreetly fed him. She noticd a man come over to look at the display
and he seemed a bit showcked at her, she then watched him go over to
teh IKEA staff, who then went to an older IKEA staff emmenr. NExt
thing a manager comes over to ask if she new that tehre was a feeding
room and that a customer had complained about her.

She said the complainant was male, mid 30's. Teh feeding room was on
teh other floor and teh baby was hungry then.

Yikes, though tbh, I don't think I would feed in the displays, it's very
rare that a baby suddenly needs feeding with absolutely no warning. I'd go
to the cafe, but never to a feeding room, after all, no one makes me eat
in a room all alone.

Old November 7th 03, 03:25 AM
Nevermind

Tatjana Pantic wrote

Similar thing happened to me 2 months ago at our local IKEA. Cafeteria
was full, feeding room on that floor only has one chair and it was
occupied by a FF mother, so what was I supposed to do? While I was
bfeeding DS, a man approached and asked my friend (I was tucked in a
corner behind her) why am I bfeeding there, don't I know there is a
feeding room?

So now feeding rooms are going to be used as a way to prohibit us from
nursing elsewhere in a store?

My friend told him the room was full and than his wife
(the complaining customer's wife) lead him away before I coud say my
piece :-) He did not go to the manager, AFAIK. He was also in his 30's
and from India.

While it's great that IKEA provides baby rooms, that is clearly not
enough, at least at the two stores I've been to (here in Northern
California) - there are only two rooms (one on each floor) and they
only have one or two chairs . IKEA has sooooooo many customers, and
most of them with children, that it shouldn't come as a surprise that
babies are beeing fed all over the place.

This kind of thing burns me up, and I'm not exactly a "lactivist". But
we can breastfeed any-the-hell-where we want. It's just feeding a
baby, for heaven's sake! If you're so upset by the sight of a woman's
breasts, stop looking already!
Old November 7th 03, 03:32 AM
Shannon G

So now feeding rooms are going to be used as a way to prohibit us from
nursing elsewhere in a store?

Geez....relax. Take a deep breath. No, *some* women appreciate a feeding
room. They like the privacy. They like having a quiet place where they can
nurse their highly distracted nursling who likes to pull off at every sight
and sound.

This kind of thing burns me up, and I'm not exactly a "lactivist". But
we can breastfeed any-the-hell-where we want. It's just feeding a
baby, for heaven's sake! If you're so upset by the sight of a woman's
breasts, stop looking already!

Take another deep breath. Perhaps this isn't about *your* right to
breastfeed "any-the-hell-where-you-want" but for the comfort of mother,
nursling and other individuals who frequent the store. And yes, you are a
lactivist :-)

Shannon

Old November 7th 03, 07:53 AM
Herself

teapot wrote:

This is second hand as it happened to a freind of mine last week who's
baby started to cry so she sat down in one of the IKEA rooms and very
discreetly fed him.

Which one was it? I'll be sure next time I'm in it to nurse :-). (I'm
hoping Glasgow, since I can get the stuff I buy there shipped here..)
--
'Tis Herself
Old November 7th 03, 01:16 PM
Jennifer James

"Shannon G" wrote in message
So now feeding rooms are going to be used as a way to prohibit us from
nursing elsewhere in a store?

Geez....relax. Take a deep breath. No, *some* women appreciate a feeding
room. They like the privacy. They like having a quiet place where they

can
nurse their highly distracted nursling who likes to pull off at every

sight
and sound.

I'll nurse wherever I need to, but I do like to use a nursing room. I have a
2 1/2 year old and a 13 month old and I like to have a secure place for ds
to run around while I nurse dd. Of course there are times when dd nurses and
ds decided to get in on the action, too I don't think I'll ever be ready
to tandem nip!! It's quite a sight LOL my shirt is up around my neck and
everything hangs out. And, of course, there are times when they start
arguing over which side they have and they have a fight still latched on!!
Like I said, it's a sight!

Jennifer
mom to Ernie, 2 1/2 and Katie, 13 months

Old November 7th 03, 02:09 PM

"Mary Ann Tuli" wrote in message

Tatjana Pantic wrote:
My friend told him the room was full and than his wife
(the complaining customer's wife) lead him away before I coud say my
piece :-) He did not go to the manager, AFAIK. He was also in his 30's
and from India.

How do you know he was from India and why is that significant?

Mary Ann

Well I'm not the OP but I think it is significant because of cultural
influences. However I would have been less surprised to hear that the
gentleman was white and of British or American origin.

Nikki

Old November 7th 03, 02:50 PM
Vicki S

Tatjana Pantic wrote:
My friend told him the room was full and than his wife (the
complaining customer's wife) lead him away before I coud say my
piece :-) He did not go to the manager, AFAIK. He was also in his 30's
and from India.

Mary Ann Tuli replied:
How do you know he was from India and why is that significant?

That's funny, I was wondering how she could be so sure of his age.
I expect she thought nationality was relevant for context, just for
adding a little information.
As for guessing nationality, Indian is one of the easier ones for me.
The skin tone range, facial features and accent combo are a good
giveaway. I suppose there's always the danger (for me anyway) that I'm
mistaking a Bangladeshi, Pakistani or Nepalese national for an Indian
one, but the Indian subcontinent has fairly distinctive looking/sounding
folks, in my experience.

My experience, but the way, mostly derives from going to college with a
lot of Indian nationals and then working in the computer industry in
Boston with a lot more.

Now, introduce me to a European national, and I'll probably guess the
wrong country.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old November 7th 03, 03:20 PM
Nevermind

"Shannon G" wrote in message news:hoEqb.6859$iE.6149@okepread01...
So now feeding rooms are going to be used as a way to prohibit us from
nursing elsewhere in a store?

Geez....relax. Take a deep breath.

Huh? I'm perfectly relaxed.

No, *some* women appreciate a feeding
room. They like the privacy. They like having a quiet place where they can
nurse their highly distracted nursling who likes to pull off at every sight
and sound.

Why do you mention this pretty obvious fact here? Certainly you don't
think I'm implying that there should not be feeding rooms? No, what I
was saying, in light of the story told in which a man implied that a
woman should not feed her baby in public because there was a feeding
room set aside for that purpose, was that the exitence of feeding
rooms is clearly going to make some people think that now there's no
"excuse" to feed elsewhere in a store. This is not a reflection on the
existence of the feeding rooms, of course, but on the general
attitude, which is that BIF is objectionable and you need an "excuse"
to do it, such as that there isn't anyplace else.

This kind of thing burns me up, and I'm not exactly a "lactivist". But
we can breastfeed any-the-hell-where we want. It's just feeding a
baby, for heaven's sake! If you're so upset by the sight of a woman's
breasts, stop looking already!

Take another deep breath.

Why do you keep saying this? I have no breathing problems, thank god.
But I do appreciate your concern.

Perhaps this isn't about *your* right to
breastfeed "any-the-hell-where-you-want" but for the comfort of mother,
nursling and other individuals who frequent the store. And yes, you are a
lactivist :-)

It is about both one's right to BF anywhere and about one's comfort
level BFing anywhere. That is, many women are a lot less comfortable
BFing in public because of experiences and stories like this. The
comfort of "other individuals" is irrelevant in this case. I don't
doubt that there are some individuals who are uncomfortable with all
kinds of things others do in stores, such as women wearing short
shorts or overweight people eating junkfood, but that's their problem,
isn't it? A woman can and should feel free to BF anywhere, and people
who are uncomfortable with it really must learn to keep their opinions
to themselves. It is absolutely none of their business. Do you
disagree with that statement?
Old November 7th 03, 03:37 PM
toypup

"Vicki S" wrote in message
Tatjana Pantic wrote:
[...]

I don't see how his nationality was relevant for context or gives much info
other than you must have some preconcieved notion about Indians and NIP.

Old November 7th 03, 07:19 PM
iphigenia

toypup wrote:

I don't see how his nationality was relevant for context or gives
much info other than you must have some preconcieved notion about
Indians and NIP.

Before we start reading racist overtones into this, please bear in mind that
different cultures DO have different views on BF and NIP.

If you were NIP and you saw a middle-aged, middle-class white American woman
looking at you, what would you assume she was thinking? That she thought it
was great, or that she was from the FF generation and thought that what you
were doing was repulsive, or should at least be hidden away?

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net