paracetamol

Old November 23rd 03, 02:45 PM
Herself

Default paracetamol

Andrea wrote:

Here by my doctor I was told not to give any form of aspirin, as there has
been a link found to Reye's syndrome.

Again, I said only when it was for pain, not fever. I don't give him
aspirin for fever...

My parents (paramedics) are working on a book about aspirin, and have
learned a lot about it...
--
'Tis Herself
Old November 23rd 03, 03:10 PM
Marion Baumgarten

Andrea wrote:

"Herself" wrote in message
teapot wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there are any adverse effects of paracetamol given
to babies?

My mother has problems with us giving P Tylenol/Paracetamol. She thinks
that baby aspirin (for pain only) is best. Mainly cause she has
questions about liver damage, etc. But we don't overdo it, and only use
it when he really needs it.

--
'Tis Herself

Here by my doctor I was told not to give any form of aspirin, as there has
been a link found to Reye's syndrome.

As I undestand it, the link is only when there are flu-like symptoms- no
link if it's just for pain relief Having said that, I have never given
baby aspirin to a baby- something in liquid form is just easier.
Old November 23rd 03, 03:44 PM
Sue

Linz wrote in message
Aspirin, on the other hand, is contraindicated for under-12s because
of Reye's Syndrome, which can irretrievably damage the kidneys.
Whereabouts are you that you can still get baby aspirin?

You can still get baby aspirin everywhere in the US. It certainly hasn't
warranted taking it off the shelves. Many adults use the baby aspirin for
cardiac care and preventative measures. My daughter, probably for eight
years was on aspirin therapy and I have never had trouble finding it. I even
had to give her the aspirin during her outbreak of chicken pox, but we were
under a doctor's care.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 23rd 03, 04:56 PM
iphigenia

Herself wrote:
My mother has problems with us giving P Tylenol/Paracetamol. She
thinks that baby aspirin (for pain only) is best. Mainly cause she
has questions about liver damage, etc. But we don't overdo it, and
only use it when he really needs it.

Wow. I wouldn't ever risk giving a child aspirin, and I didn't know anyone
out there still did. *I* don't even take any salicylates, just to be safe.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old November 23rd 03, 10:18 PM
Herself

iphigenia wrote:

Herself wrote:
My mother has problems with us giving P Tylenol/Paracetamol. She
thinks that baby aspirin (for pain only) is best. Mainly cause she
has questions about liver damage, etc. But we don't overdo it, and
only use it when he really needs it.

Wow. I wouldn't ever risk giving a child aspirin, and I didn't know anyone
out there still did. *I* don't even take any salicylates, just to be safe.

I don't take anything really since I started bf'ing. I think I've taken
3 advil the whole time, and some nasal spray for my (now recurring,
never had before this year) sinus problems. That's all I can think of
right now.

What I said above (re-reading), I meant to say that we only give P
Tylenol when he needs it, and aspirin for teething. It's been a long
day.
--
'Tis Herself
Old November 24th 03, 04:42 AM
iphigenia

Herself wrote:
I don't take anything really since I started bf'ing. I think I've
taken 3 advil the whole time, and some nasal spray for my (now
recurring, never had before this year) sinus problems. That's all I
can think of right now.

Ah, you're lucky. In the 28 months since I've had Gabe I've had countless
migraines, a kidney infection, and I take Zoloft. Not to mention all the
Advil and Vicodin I took when I got a spinal headache from his birth. I
definitely don't like medicating myself when it's not necessary, but it's
been necessary quite a bit.

Old November 24th 03, 09:40 AM
Herself

iphigenia wrote:

Herself wrote:
I don't take anything really since I started bf'ing. I think I've
taken 3 advil the whole time, and some nasal spray for my (now
recurring, never had before this year) sinus problems. That's all I
can think of right now.

Ah, you're lucky. In the 28 months since I've had Gabe I've had countless
migraines, a kidney infection, and I take Zoloft. Not to mention all the
Advil and Vicodin I took when I got a spinal headache from his birth. I
definitely don't like medicating myself when it's not necessary, but it's
been necessary quite a bit.

When you need it, you need it. And it's all about quality of life. I'm
sorry you've gone through so much in such a short period of time...

I've never heard of a spinal headache. Can I ask what it is?
--
'Tis Herself
Old November 24th 03, 03:22 PM
iphigenia

Herself wrote:

I've never heard of a spinal headache. Can I ask what it is?

Sure! Spinal headaches have the potential to occur after a needle has
pierced the dura surrounding the spinal cord. Mostly it happens after spinal
blocks, but it can also happen with epidurals if the needle nicks the dura.
Cerebrospinal fluid leaks from the spinal cord, and the fluid pressure
around the brain is, as a result, thrown off. It causes a bad, bad headache
that's made especially excruciating if you try to sit up or stand up (since
the pressure problems are exacerbated by the movement and by gravity).

They're not very common anymore - they found that the chance of getting one
decreases with a smaller needle and adjusted practice accordingly - but
that's just my luck, I guess : P

There are two treatments - one is a blood patch, where they use an epidural
needle to patch the hole with blood cells. It's not a benign procedure,
there's a risk of making the leak worse. The other treatment is time;
allowing the body to patch up the hole by itself, and taking painkillers and
caffeine to manage the pain.