update from me

Old January 18th 08, 04:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Default update from me

Pologirl wrote:
Was my distinction between coughing at night/in bed vs coughing lying
down not clear? These can be distinguished and if *lying down* causes
coughing then my little list applies.

Well, except that unless you conduct a little experiment,
it can be really hard to tell since they're mostly lying down
when in bed--and often exposed to similar conditions when lying
down but not in bed ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 18th 08, 05:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co

Hi Pologirl

no she got nothing new when we moved but the cough was already there before
moving. Thanks for your advice and I did take it on boared so please dont
think I didnt but i'm pretty sure this is asthma related.

april
"Pologirl" wrote in message
Was my distinction between coughing at night/in bed vs coughing lying
down not clear? These can be distinguished and if *lying down* causes
coughing then my little list applies.

Re onset in October, did she get something new in preparation for all
the moving? New lovey, new quilt or sleeping bag?

We have pollen allergies; during pollen seasons vacuuming with a HEPA
filter vacuum helps but we also have a HEPA air filter that we run in
the bedroom all during the day. That really helps us sleep better.

Pologirl

Old January 18th 08, 06:57 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jeni

On 18 Jan, 16:38, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
"Jeni" wrote in message

Hi April

Nice to see you here again. Glad to hear the pg is going well, good
luck with the scan on the 31st.

IKWYM too about the 'what the heck have I done' feeling - I get that
all the time. I reckon you've been doing a brilliant job with
Joanna, and you have all the support in place should you need it, so
try not to worry. Easier said than done I know.

The rest of this thread about Joanna's cough has been really
interesting from my point of view. Ds has always been 'chesty' - ie.
it goes straight to his chest if he has a cold, ever since he had
Bronchiolitis. He was given steroids to try and ward off Asthma (as my
dh had it as a kid, but grew out of it as an adult). He does sometimes
cough in the night, but doesn't wake from it 99% of the time, so I'm
not worried - but it does sound like OP's may be onto something with
Joanna. I'd agree it's worth going to see another doc and try and get
referred to an expert, as it does seem that she needs something more
than you are already trying. I hope you get some answers soon for both
of you.

Jeni

Jeni,

Colds that settle and hang out in the lungs, and night time coughing are
pretty clear signs of asthma, and couple that with a dh who had asthma as a
child, and well, it sounds to me like your DS has asthma. The coughing at
night doesn't have to wake them up to be problematic, it's the cough itself
which is indicating that her lungs aren't happy.

I don't think you can "ward off" asthma. Ward off an attack, perhaps, but
not the issue itself.

Taylor had similar symptoms, but I never heard wheezing when she breathed,
and she never was short of breath or had any breathing troubles, at all.
Yet her doctor has heard wheezing with the stethescope, and takes asthma in
children very seriously. If you do not treat it, it can damage the lungs.
Lungs do not repair and recuperate, the way that other body parts do. So
you want to be very careful and proactive in terms of asthma treatment.

I'd recommend you bring DS into the pediatrician for a discussion about the
possibility of asthma and longterm management.

Thanks Jamie, I appreciate your advice. Recently he's been fine, but
next time it flares up I will deffo discuss the possibility of asthma
with the doc. When he had bronchiolitis both the doc and the hospital
paed didn't detect any wheezing, but I guess things can change, so
I'll get him checked out.

Jeni
Old January 18th 08, 07:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
unless you conduct a little experiment, it can be really hard to tell

Exactly!

Note that the doctors are already conducting little experiments of
their own, by prescribing various drugs.

Pologirl
Old January 22nd 08, 04:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
cjra

On Jan 17, 10:40*am, "april & co"
wrote:
Hi peeps

Well it's been a few weeks since I last logged on, the last time I wrote
here I had to write through google groups as my internet provider didnt have
a newsgroup reader thing but i've now switched to ntl so have now got
newsgroups again through outlook express woohoo. Well lots have happened
since I last wrote, I moved home in December, we were planning to move in on
the 15th december but there were a few problems which resulted in us
crashing at parents houses until we could finally move in which was the 24th
december but when we moved in there were still issues with the central
heating and hot water so we had to use portable heaters to keep warm and for
bathing had to grab one at a familys house when we could, I hated that soooo
much as I like to bath daily. We have now got the heating and water sorted
which is great but the cooker doesnt work so that means we're limited to
what we can eat which can also be annoying but this is to be sorted on the
weekend hopefully. About a week ago we had more bad news which was my mother
in law who I was quite close to passed away which was expected as she had
motor nurone disease and dementia but we didnt quite expect her to pass away
so soon so it was still quite a shock, we have her funeral next thursday the
24th jan a day before Joannas birthday.

Joanna, well she's doing great apart from a cough which I will come back to.
Joanna has now been home with us for just over 2 years and I really mean
just as she came home on the 2nd January 2007. It was great to meet that
milestone and it's been tough being a parent at times but I love her to bits
and wouldnt be without her. It's much easier now that I'm back in Luton
close to my friends and family and not stuck in wales where I didnt really
know many people at all. Social services visit us rarely now and are still
planning to lift the care order in the near future. Joanna has a night time
cough at the moment which I am trying to sort out, I am taking her back to
the doctors tommorow and hope they do something as she's had this night time
cough since October now and its really bugging me now.

Pregnancy, well i'm now 11+6 weeks pregnant and things seem to be going ok
and I have my first scan on the 31st January which I am soooooo looking
forward to. I was a rollercoaster of emotions when I found out about the
pregnancy, at first I was super happy about it but then it sank in a little
further and I just crapped myseld thinking omg can I really do this, can I
parent two children, what if I have it and can't cope and lose both the
babies to care blah blah and thought of terminating, I then spoke to the guy
who done the parenting assessment who said I could parent another baby
although it still took me a while to get my head around the whole thing but
i've now pretty much excepted it and if I feel the need to ask for help then
I will. I look at the small bump every now and then and think wtf have I
done but surely every parent goes through this. I know I love the baby as
Im petrified of MC the baby so theres obviously something there otherwise I
just wouldnt care.

catch u soon and sry about the essay.

--www.freewebs.com/lastchancerabbitrescue

FWIW - DD had a prolonged cough (only 3 weeks rather than 3 months
though) and her doctor determined it was due to a sinus infection and
prescribed antibiotics. I'm not normally one to pump the meds if I can
avoid it, but was willing to try and it did wonders. Though she didn't
have much of a runny nose, there was drainage which was giving her the
cough. This was sort of left over from when she had croup.

I hope Joanna gets better soon, and best of luck on your pregnancy!
Old February 3rd 08, 03:37 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Smoking While Pregnant

"april & co" wrote in message
Pregnancy, well i'm now 11+6 weeks pregnant and things seem to be going ok

Did you quit smoking yet? Or is the health of your unborn less important
than the need to satisfy your craving for nicotine and 4000 other harmful
chemicals?