iron vitamins during pregnany

Old January 31st 08, 08:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co

Default iron vitamins during pregnany

Hi

Just wondering if it's safe to use an iron vitamin during pregnacy. The last
couple of weeks I've felt really tired and very sluggish and it's getting
worse by the day, I am cnstantly tired and can't be bothered and every time
I stand up to do anything I feel really dizzy.

April

--
www.freewebs.com/lastchancerabbitrescue

Old January 31st 08, 08:52 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

April wrote:
Just wondering if it's safe to use an iron vitamin during pregnacy. The last
couple of weeks I've felt really tired and very sluggish [...]

Short answer: yes.

Pregnant women often are advised to take iron supplements (as part of
a multivitamin, or separate) to lower risk of anemia due to iron-
deficiency. However, feeling tired and sluggish and dizzy when you
stand up has more than one possible cause. You seem to be assuming
anemia, but likely causes include insufficient calories and
insufficient fluids. Anemia has more than one possible cause. One
cause is iron deficiency, but if you are not iron-deficient, an iron
supplement will not help and may cause stomach upset and
constipation. How's your diet?

Pologirl
Old January 31st 08, 11:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Are you due for a blood test any time soon? It makes sense to check your
iron levels rather than assume that is the problem before taking
anything. Iron tablets can be troublesome, they tend to cause
constipation, possibly some nausea, enough trouble that most people
prefer to try other things first unless the problem is severe.

Dizzy could be the low blood pressure you mentioned, lots of people
occassionally get dizzy when they stand up too fast and if it happens
regularly it can be very debilitating. You can help yourself by standing
up more slowly and making sure to stay well hydrated.

Do you like broccoli? Raw broccoli has lots of good stuff, including
iron, you could try it with some kind of dip if you don't fancy it by
itself.

Cheers
Anne
Old February 1st 08, 11:17 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"april & co" wrote in message
Hi

Just wondering if it's safe to use an iron vitamin during pregnacy. The
last couple of weeks I've felt really tired and very sluggish and it's
getting worse by the day, I am cnstantly tired and can't be bothered and
every time I stand up to do anything I feel really dizzy.

April

Yes, it's safe, just make sure it's iron supliments on their own or in a set
meant for pregnancy.
Alternatively get your midwife to do a check and if you're low then you'll
get them on prescription-hence free! The midwives have always done a check
for me when I've asked.
Debbie

Old February 1st 08, 11:10 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co

Dizzy could be the low blood pressure you mentioned, lots of people
occassionally get dizzy when they stand up too fast and if it happens
regularly it can be very debilitating. You can help yourself by standing
up more slowly and making sure to stay well hydrated.

Do you like broccoli? Raw broccoli has lots of good stuff, including iron,
you could try it with some kind of dip if you don't fancy it by itself.

Cheers
Anne

Hi Anne

I had my bloods done thursday just gone so I've got to wait for the results
of them but in the mean time I will give the broccoli a go and see how I get
on. Thing is I can't see my doctor doing much until the results have come
back.

april

Old February 2nd 08, 04:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I had my bloods done thursday just gone so I've got to wait for the results
of them but in the mean time I will give the broccoli a go and see how I get
on. Thing is I can't see my doctor doing much until the results have come
back.

bloods like these are usually back pretty fast and if it did come back
showing low iron, chances are you GP would just write the prescription
straight off and you could pop in and collect it. I had a borderline low
iron test later on in pregnancy and I got the results really fast, the
doctor usually has them before the time frame they say you can call and
get them and as soon as he had them, he called and said he'd write a
prescription, my midwife called too, they were being pretty efficient!
With borderline results and no symptoms, my choice was not to take the
tablets at that point, I tried a supplement called Floradix, recommended
by my midwife. I did end up taking the tablets as a few weeks later
another test gave lower levels (some dropping is normal) and there was a
possibility my joint pain was related, thankfully I didn't have nausea
but I was constipated, but I probably would have been anyway with the
painkillers, so it's difficult to tell if the iron made it worse, pretty
much everyone does get constipated with iron though.

Cheers
Anne

drinking while pregnany hikes newborn infection risk [email protected] Pregnancy 3 June 17th 05 05:50 AM
Prenatal vitamins and iron JennP Pregnancy 33 March 30th 04 10:15 PM
Low Iron? Christine Pregnancy 4 March 10th 04 11:23 PM
iron Clisby Williams Breastfeeding 12 August 11th 03 06:11 PM
Iron? Irish Marie Pregnancy 19 July 17th 03 10:15 PM