A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » alt.parenting » Spanking
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers were wrongly convicted



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 22nd 04, 10:03 AM
billyf
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers were wrongly convicted

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/042...cal_nurse.html

By Laura Whitley
ABC13 Eyewitness News
(4/20/04 - HOUSTON) - Wrongly convicted -- that may be the case for dozens
of child abuse defendants. Potential problems were found in nearly 200
cases, and human error may be to blame.

Prosecutors rely on evidence as gathered at the Children's Assessment Center
to make strong cases. But now some of that evidence is being questioned.

It's known as a safe haven for sexually abused children. But Harris County
District Attorney Chuck Rosenthal wants medical assessments of potential
victims made by a nurse at the center's clinic reviewed.

"About 170 or so resulted in criminal charges being filed," said Rosenthal.
"So we then asked for a peer review in all of those cases."

Robin Howard of the Children's Assessment Center said, "We are very
concerned about what is going on here. And we're certainly here to provide
any information we can."

The problem was discovered when the DA's office asked a doctor to review the
nurse's findings while preparing a case for trial back in January.

Rosenthal said, "The doctor came back and said, 'I can't testify to those
facts. I think she made a mistake.' So that caused them to then go ahead and
check some more of her findings to see if there were, in fact, potential
errors that were spotted."

According to internal Assessment Center emails, more problems were found. A
memo from a clinic doctor in February said, "I have come across another of
_______'s charts that contains flaws that could potentially have
repercussions."

Howard explained, "She is not an employee of the Children's Assessment
Center. She was an employee of the University of Texas, who we contract with
to provide medical services."

The nurse worked in the clinic at the Children's Assessment Center for about
two years. In that time she handled hundreds of examinations.

Even though the nurse worked for UT, the spokesperson would only say the
university is still gathering information.

Meanwhile, defense attorneys are scrambling to figure out if any of their
clients could be affected.

The nurse stopped working at the clinic in November. And that's when
administration officials at CAC say they first became aware of the problem.
(Copyright 2004, KTRK-TV)


  #2  
Old April 26th 04, 02:54 AM
Bible Man John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers were wrongly convicted

Hmm sounds interesting...

John

----------
"billyf" wrote...

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/042...cal_nurse.html

By Laura Whitley
ABC13 Eyewitness News
(4/20/04 - HOUSTON) - Wrongly convicted -- that may be the case for dozens
of child abuse defendants. Potential problems were found in nearly 200
cases, and human error may be to blame.

Prosecutors rely on evidence as gathered at the Children's Assessment Center
to make strong cases. But now some of that evidence is being questioned.

It's known as a safe haven for sexually abused children. But Harris County
District Attorney Chuck Rosenthal wants medical assessments of potential
victims made by a nurse at the center's clinic reviewed.

"About 170 or so resulted in criminal charges being filed," said Rosenthal.
"So we then asked for a peer review in all of those cases."

Robin Howard of the Children's Assessment Center said, "We are very
concerned about what is going on here. And we're certainly here to provide
any information we can."

The problem was discovered when the DA's office asked a doctor to review the
nurse's findings while preparing a case for trial back in January.

Rosenthal said, "The doctor came back and said, 'I can't testify to those
facts. I think she made a mistake.' So that caused them to then go ahead and
check some more of her findings to see if there were, in fact, potential
errors that were spotted."

According to internal Assessment Center emails, more problems were found. A
memo from a clinic doctor in February said, "I have come across another of
_______'s charts that contains flaws that could potentially have
repercussions."

Howard explained, "She is not an employee of the Children's Assessment
Center. She was an employee of the University of Texas, who we contract with
to provide medical services."

The nurse worked in the clinic at the Children's Assessment Center for about
two years. In that time she handled hundreds of examinations.

Even though the nurse worked for UT, the spokesperson would only say the
university is still gathering information.

Meanwhile, defense attorneys are scrambling to figure out if any of their
clients could be affected.

The nurse stopped working at the clinic in November. And that's when
administration officials at CAC say they first became aware of the problem.
(Copyright 2004, KTRK-TV)



  #3  
Old April 30th 04, 02:16 AM
Carlson LaVonne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers were wrongly convicted

So, your point is what? Nurses make mistakes? Children are sometimes
mistakenly identified as abused?

Improve the system. Vote for more taxes which would allow children to
receive better advocacy.

People make mistakes. Are you willing to allow children to be abused
because an underfunded system makes mistakes?

Guess what. I'll go for false positives any day. Do you even know what
that means, billyf?

LaVonne

billyf wrote:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/042...cal_nurse.html

By Laura Whitley
ABC13 Eyewitness News
(4/20/04 - HOUSTON) - Wrongly convicted -- that may be the case for dozens
of child abuse defendants. Potential problems were found in nearly 200
cases, and human error may be to blame.

Prosecutors rely on evidence as gathered at the Children's Assessment Center
to make strong cases. But now some of that evidence is being questioned.

It's known as a safe haven for sexually abused children. But Harris County
District Attorney Chuck Rosenthal wants medical assessments of potential
victims made by a nurse at the center's clinic reviewed.

"About 170 or so resulted in criminal charges being filed," said Rosenthal.
"So we then asked for a peer review in all of those cases."

Robin Howard of the Children's Assessment Center said, "We are very
concerned about what is going on here. And we're certainly here to provide
any information we can."

The problem was discovered when the DA's office asked a doctor to review the
nurse's findings while preparing a case for trial back in January.

Rosenthal said, "The doctor came back and said, 'I can't testify to those
facts. I think she made a mistake.' So that caused them to then go ahead and
check some more of her findings to see if there were, in fact, potential
errors that were spotted."

According to internal Assessment Center emails, more problems were found. A
memo from a clinic doctor in February said, "I have come across another of
_______'s charts that contains flaws that could potentially have
repercussions."

Howard explained, "She is not an employee of the Children's Assessment
Center. She was an employee of the University of Texas, who we contract with
to provide medical services."

The nurse worked in the clinic at the Children's Assessment Center for about
two years. In that time she handled hundreds of examinations.

Even though the nurse worked for UT, the spokesperson would only say the
university is still gathering information.

Meanwhile, defense attorneys are scrambling to figure out if any of their
clients could be affected.

The nurse stopped working at the clinic in November. And that's when
administration officials at CAC say they first became aware of the problem.
(Copyright 2004, KTRK-TV)



  #4  
Old May 6th 04, 06:30 PM
Fern5827
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers were wrongly convicted

Thanks for posting, Billy.

Guess folks posting on this NG find it funny that folks can be wrongly
convicted and sentenced, based on one person's opinion.

Wonder how many families wrongfully torn apart and how many folks lost hope?
Wonder how many children were separated from their parents?

Incredible.

FWD to ascps.

Bill sent in:

Subject: Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers were wrongly convicted
From: "billyf"
Date: 4/22/2004 5:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Message-id:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/042...cal_nurse.html

By Laura Whitley
ABC13 Eyewitness News
(4/20/04 - HOUSTON) - Wrongly convicted -- that may be the case for dozens
of child abuse defendants. Potential problems were found in nearly 200
cases, and human error may be to blame.

Prosecutors rely on evidence as gathered at the Children's Assessment Center
to make strong cases. But now some of that evidence is being questioned.

It's known as a safe haven for sexually abused children. But Harris County
District Attorney Chuck Rosenthal wants medical assessments of potential
victims made by a nurse at the center's clinic reviewed.

"About 170 or so resulted in criminal charges being filed," said Rosenthal.
"So we then asked for a peer review in all of those cases."

Robin Howard of the Children's Assessment Center said, "We are very
concerned about what is going on here. And we're certainly here to provide
any information we can."

The problem was discovered when the DA's office asked a doctor to review the
nurse's findings while preparing a case for trial back in January.

Rosenthal said, "The doctor came back and said, 'I can't testify to those
facts. I think she made a mistake.' So that caused them to then go ahead and
check some more of her findings to see if there were, in fact, potential
errors that were spotted."

According to internal Assessment Center emails, more problems were found. A
memo from a clinic doctor in February said, "I have come across another of
_______'s charts that contains flaws that could potentially have
repercussions."

Howard explained, "She is not an employee of the Children's Assessment
Center. She was an employee of the University of Texas, who we contract with
to provide medical services."

The nurse worked in the clinic at the Children's Assessment Center for about
two years. In that time she handled hundreds of examinations.

Even though the nurse worked for UT, the spokesperson would only say the
university is still gathering information.

Meanwhile, defense attorneys are scrambling to figure out if any of their
clients could be affected.

The nurse stopped working at the clinic in November. And that's when
administration officials at CAC say they first became aware of the problem.
(Copyright 2004, KTRK-TV)










  #5  
Old May 11th 04, 01:12 AM
Carlson LaVonne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Anser it, Fern! was Nurse's mistakes may mean child abuserswere wrongly convicted

Fern5827 wrote:
Thanks for posting, Billy.

Guess folks posting on this NG find it funny that folks can be wrongly
convicted and sentenced, based on one person's opinion.


I didn't find anything humorous about the news posting, nor did I read
anything that indicated other found the post humorous either. Who on
this ng found wrongful conviction and sentencing funny? Please support
your statement.

Wonder how many families wrongfully torn apart and how many folks lost hope?
Wonder how many children were separated from their parents?


Do you ever wonder how many children lost hope when they were wrongfully
returned to abusive families. Do you ever wonder how many children were
separated from their parents and did well because of the decision? Do
you ever wonder about how many children die at the hands of their
parents? Do you even care?

Incredible.


Yes, it is incredible. It's incredible that you place so called family
rights over children's rights, and rail against agencies that attempt to
protect children. You do not care about children, Fern. You are out do
destroy a flawed system that does more good than harm -- a flawed system
that could be improved by your vote and your tax dollars. You ignore
the children saved by the system, and post only your propaganda.

Thank you for posting, Fern. You are an advocate for child protection!

LaVonne

  #6  
Old May 11th 04, 07:38 AM
CrystalRGarcia74
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Anser it, Fern! was Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers

Subject: Anser it, Fern! was Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers
From: Carlson LaVonne
Date: 5/10/2004 5:12 PM US Mountain Standard Time
Message-id:

Fern5827 wrote:
Thanks for posting, Billy.

Guess folks posting on this NG find it funny that folks can be wrongly
convicted and sentenced, based on one person's opinion.


I didn't find anything humorous about the news posting, nor did I read
anything that indicated other found the post humorous either. Who on
this ng found wrongful conviction and sentencing funny? Please support
your statement.

Wonder how many families wrongfully torn apart and how many folks lost

hope?
Wonder how many children were separated from their parents?


Do you ever wonder how many children lost hope when they were wrongfully
returned to abusive families. Do you ever wonder how many children were
separated from their parents and did well because of the decision? Do
you ever wonder about how many children die at the hands of their
parents? Do you even care?


That was because they were ABUSED and KILLED not because they were SPANKED!


Incredible.


Yes, it is incredible. It's incredible that you place so called family
rights over children's rights, and rail against agencies that attempt to
protect children. You do not care about children, Fern. You are out do
destroy a flawed system that does more good than harm -- a flawed system
that could be improved by your vote and your tax dollars. You ignore
the children saved by the system, and post only your propaganda.

Thank you for posting, Fern. You are an advocate for child protection!

LaVonne










  #9  
Old May 12th 04, 10:38 PM
Kane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Anser it, Fern! was Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers

On 12 May 2004 05:04:55 GMT,
(CrystalRGarcia74) wrote:

Subject: Anser it, Fern! was Nurse's mistakes may mean

child abusers
From: Ivan Gowch

Date: 5/11/2004 12:42 PM US Mountain Standard Time
Message-id:

On 11 May 2004 06:38:41 GMT,

(CrystalRGarcia74) wrote:

[snip]

==That was because they were ABUSED and KILLED not because they

were
SPANKED!

In virtually every case, parents who abuse and/or
kill their children started out by "spanking" them.

You cannot eliminate child abuse without first
eliminating the idea that it is OK for adults to
deliberately hurt children for "correction," under
any circumstances.


That is what is wrong with kids these days


Oddly, other than the usual folly of human beings, you have no proof
for such an accusation. The ancient romans and greeks made similar
comments about their youth too. In fact I doubt, beyond a few very
advanced but sequestered civilizations, that are primitive cultures,
nearly every society has been afraid of youth in this way.

It's kind of dumb...especially when one knows the facts about our
current crop of kids.

and that is why they get away with
the crap that they get away with


The only "crap" I see them getting away with is the same "crap" I and
my buddies got away with in the 50's when I was a kid. Believe it or
not, we drank, smoked (I hear some even smoked weed) and got girls
pregnant every chance we got.

Nice bunch of kids too.

because people like you tell them that they
are being abused!


The truth shall make them free, so the saying goes. It's overdue. Our
own country, at this very moment, is being run by people that have at
least 90% of them coming from families that spank.

It is extremely hard to find a human that was raised kindly without
violence and coersion that is violent themselves. Ever notice that?

I guess a thanks goes out to you and people like you for
*uck*&% up our youth!


No, actually the thanks is due to you and your kind.

It's the "spanked" child that most populates the prisons and mental
health child treatment centers. It also is the "spanked" child that
one finds in out of home foster care because their parents thought
spanking meant something else.

There would be no alt.parenting.spanking ng if it were not for the
ills to humankind derived from the practice of brutal parenting that
is so universal in this and other "civilized" countries.

The problem with spanking is that there is no known level of it, no
matter how gentle, that does not have some risk to the child...and it
certainly is a risk to the perpetrator. It excuses in their mind their
lack of skill and any desire to learn to parent more effectively.

You are welcome to your opinion, but don't kid yourself that spanking
makes children behave without serious consequences to humankind.



--
The danger to the life and well-being of children
increases in direct proportion to their proximity
to religion and its practitioners.
-Ivan Gowch


Those religions that support brutal child parenting are at fault.

Kane
  #10  
Old May 14th 04, 04:30 PM
Fern5827
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Anser it, Fern! was Nurse's mistakes may mean child abusers

Guess OF never heard of Columbine.

The only "crap" I see them getting away with is the same "crap" I and
my buddies got away with in the 50's when I was a kid. Believe it or
not, we drank, smoked (I hear some even smoked weed) and got girls
pregnant every chance we got.


First you recent memory goes, but you remember the past with presumed clarity.

Never heard of the absolutely prevalent trend of Juveniles being charged as
Adults in many jurisidictions., either.

It's the "spanked" child that most populates the prisons and mental
health child treatment centers. It also is the "spanked" child that
one finds in out of home foster care because their parents thought
spanking meant something else.


Admittedly, that comprises 94% of the US populace.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chiro care of baby penises (also: Dr. Poland never sued Dr. Gastaldo) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 6 April 7th 04 04:58 PM
Parent Stress Index another idiotic indicator list Greg Hanson General 11 March 22nd 04 12:40 AM
| U.N. rules Canada should ban spanking Kane Spanking 142 November 16th 03 07:46 PM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ParentingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.