craving for salt

Old October 16th 04, 03:50 AM
Irrational Number

Default craving for salt

Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? In the way
that some people who have to chew on ice may
be deficient in iron... I've been very,
very nauseous these past few days and have
had the most horrible craving for salty,
spicy things. I'm usually such a low-sodium
person, it's freaking me out. Today, I've
had THREE pastrami sandwiches. The last
pastrami sandwich I had, I think, was over
five years ago!

-- Anita --

Old October 16th 04, 05:05 AM
Jo

Irrational Number wrote:
Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? In the way
that some people who have to chew on ice may
be deficient in iron... I've been very,
very nauseous these past few days and have
had the most horrible craving for salty,
spicy things. I'm usually such a low-sodium
person, it's freaking me out. Today, I've
had THREE pastrami sandwiches. The last
pastrami sandwich I had, I think, was over
five years ago!

-- Anita --

Anita, is pastrami a kind of salami?? If so, it is not recommended in
pregnancy due to the risk of listeria...

However, I too, have been craving salty stuff - I've gone the crackers
and cheese route

Jo (RM)
Old October 16th 04, 08:19 AM
Jenrose

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...
Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? In the way
that some people who have to chew on ice may
be deficient in iron... I've been very,
very nauseous these past few days and have
had the most horrible craving for salty,
spicy things. I'm usually such a low-sodium
person, it's freaking me out. Today, I've
had THREE pastrami sandwiches. The last
pastrami sandwich I had, I think, was over
five years ago!

Salt is an important nutrient, and if you normally don't eat much of it,
you're going to need more than you're used to in pg. NEED it. Really. Severe
preganncy problems can result from insufficient salt, and it's almost
impossible, pg, to overdose on salt. In fact, insufficient salt in pg can
*cause* high blood pressure as the blood volume tries to expand but can't. A
craving for salt may indicate a lack of an essential nutrient, namely, SALT.

Salt to taste.

Jenrose

Old October 16th 04, 11:55 AM
Anne Rogers

I craved salt last time, when I wanted to put salt in tea I knew things were
really bad. Eat salt as you feel you need it, there is no need to follow a
low salt diet in pregnancy.

Old October 16th 04, 01:26 PM
firedancer623

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...
Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? In the way
that some people who have to chew on ice may
be deficient in iron... I've been very,
very nauseous these past few days and have
had the most horrible craving for salty,
spicy things. I'm usually such a low-sodium
person, it's freaking me out. Today, I've
had THREE pastrami sandwiches. The last
pastrami sandwich I had, I think, was over
five years ago!

-- Anita --

I craved salty things with my last 2 pregnancies. When I asked my midwife
about it, she said it was another old wives take that you're pregnant with a
boy

My cravings were worse in the beginning, during my morning sickness. The
only things I wanted were subs or salty crackers.

Good luck!

Kari
mom to Kaylie, Noah and Xander

Old October 16th 04, 04:38 PM

Irrational Number wrote in message ink.net...
Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? In the way
that some people who have to chew on ice may
be deficient in iron... I've been very,
very nauseous these past few days and have
had the most horrible craving for salty,
spicy things. I'm usually such a low-sodium
person, it's freaking me out. Today, I've
had THREE pastrami sandwiches. The last
pastrami sandwich I had, I think, was over
five years ago!

You need more salt during pregnancy, to support the expanded blood
volume which supports the placenta. Go right ahead and eat salty
things, especially if you're craving them.

--
C, mama to twenty-three month old nursling
Old October 16th 04, 07:56 PM
Irrational Number

firedancer623 wrote:

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...

Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? [...]

I craved salty things with my last 2 pregnancies. When I asked my midwife
about it, she said it was another old wives take that you're pregnant with a
boy

Hmm, I did crave salt last pregnancy and did
have a boy... Maybe I'll get the second boy
I want! (I didn't crave it last time as
obsessively as this time, though.)

-- Anita --

Old October 16th 04, 07:57 PM
Irrational Number

Anne Rogers wrote:

I craved salt last time, when I wanted to put salt in tea I knew things were
really bad. Eat salt as you feel you need it, there is no need to follow a
low salt diet in pregnancy.

Well, I don't quite want to put salt in tea, but
I did complain that the chips and salsa that the
secretary had put out were saltless and thought
that was weird. My coworker thought I'd lost
my mind (or taste buds).

-- Anita --

Old October 16th 04, 07:59 PM
Irrational Number

Jenrose wrote:

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...

Does a severe craving for salt mean that I
am missing some nutrients? [...]

Salt is an important nutrient, and if you normally don't eat much of it,
you're going to need more than you're used to in pg. NEED it. Really. Severe
preganncy problems can result from insufficient salt, and it's almost
impossible, pg, to overdose on salt. In fact, insufficient salt in pg can
*cause* high blood pressure as the blood volume tries to expand but can't. A
craving for salt may indicate a lack of an essential nutrient, namely, SALT.

Salt to taste.

That's interesting. I normally don't use salt
at all just because I don't like it, and my
normal BP is about 90/60. Even though I'd eaten
extra salt during my last pregnancy, my BP never
rose higher than 100/70 on a hot day. My mother
has always thought my BP was low... Anyway, I
will salt to taste, otherwise I just feel bad.

Anything with a hint of sweetness just makes me
want to puke.

-- Anita --