OT - Front-loading washing machine experiences?

Old October 19th 04, 06:56 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default OT - Front-loading washing machine experiences?

Chris and I have so much stuff, that space is ALWAYS an issue, and
anything that will save us space is always appreciated. So when we
moved, and had to buy a new washer and dryer (the previous owners took
theirs with them) and deep freeze, we looked into buying a
frontloading washer/dryer that could be stacked, which would allow us
to put the deep freeze (upright) in the laundry room, too, since there
really was no other good place to put the freezer.

Well, to make a long story short, that's what we did.

The washer is a Tromm LG model that gets pretty good ratings. It's
unfortunately not one of the oversized ones, which we couldn't afford
(Darn, I was looking forward to being able to wash our King-sized
comforter at home! But since we wash it only once a year --it's in a
duvet-- it would take a lot of years of going to a laundromat to make
up the difference in price!) It's a middle-sized model instead, and
it can wash a large puffy sleeping bag, but only barely!

Anyway, the washer uses VERY little water. In fact it hardly seems to
get the clothes wet. I expected it to be like at the laundromat
where there's LOTS of water that the clothes are being tumbled
through. But there isn't even a visible pool of water. So do they
really get the clothes as clean as a top loader, where they are
actually soaking in water? and what about stains? Are they as good
at that?

As it turns out, there's more water in there than it appears - we had
a short power outtage that interrupted the cycle, which turns the
machine off and unlocks the door. Thinking the wash was done, I opened
it, and found the clothes soaking wet, and a large puddle of water in
the bottom. Made a bit of a mess (but no wave of water spilling
across the floor or anything like that) as I dragged some of the
clothes out. Had to restart the cycle - and it was fine.

The washer uses so little water that after the first load of laundry I
called customer service to describe it, and they said that so many
people called to ask if it was working properly that they are
redesigning it so that the water enters the drum right above the door
so you can see it filling!

Also, what about soap. Consumer Reports says to get the best results
to use special detergent made for front loaders and/or high-efficiency
washers. I have some, and it works fine, but I've always liked the
smell of Cheer. What soap do you use? How well does it work? Is it
necessary to switch?

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old October 19th 04, 07:10 PM
Banty

In article , Cathy Weeks
says...

[...]

Get rid of the stuff.

:-)

Banty

Old October 19th 04, 07:15 PM
Jamie Clark

It sounds normal to me. We've had a front loading washer for a few years
now. We use normal detergent, but less of it, since they are more
efficient.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Old October 19th 04, 07:29 PM
Rosie

Cathy Weeks wrote:
The washer uses so little water that after the first load of laundry I
called customer service to describe it, and they said that so many
people called to ask if it was working properly that they are
redesigning it so that the water enters the drum right above the door
so you can see it filling!

!! Sounds normal then.

I've got no idea what exists EXCEPT for front-loading machines - do you load
some from the top?! Doesn't that take up LOADS of space in a kitchen? I've
never seen anything else.

ROSIE
(In the UK - who had her first ever trip to the dental hygienist today at
the age of 30 - is that very British?!)

Old October 19th 04, 07:43 PM
Nikki

Rosie wrote:

I've got no idea what exists EXCEPT for front-loading machines - do
you load some from the top?! Doesn't that take up LOADS of space in
a kitchen? I've never seen anything else.

Yes you load them from the top. They take a lot more water because the
water has to be deep enough to actually cover the clothes. There is a piece
in the center that agitates back and forth and/or up and down to get them
clean. Where I am at the front loaders are about three times as expensive
as the top loaders so most people have top loaders. I think the houses here
are also probably bigger then what you are used to. I live in the US btw.
The washer is sometimes in the kitchen but more often you'll see them in a
separate small laundry room or in the basement. Mine is in the basement and
is combined with a bathroom. We also have washer dryer sets where the dryer
is stacked up on top of the washer but the washer is still a top loader.
They don't take up much space.

--
Nikki

Old October 19th 04, 07:46 PM
Sara

Rosie wrote:

Cathy Weeks wrote:
The washer uses so little water that after the first load of laundry I
called customer service to describe it, and they said that so many
people called to ask if it was working properly that they are
redesigning it so that the water enters the drum right above the door
so you can see it filling!

!! Sounds normal then.

I've got no idea what exists EXCEPT for front-loading machines - do you load
some from the top?! Doesn't that take up LOADS of space in a kitchen? I've
never seen anything else.

ROSIE
(In the UK - who had her first ever trip to the dental hygienist today at
the age of 30 - is that very British?!)

Almost as British as having your washing machine in the kitchen.

--
Sara,
accompanied by her traveling companion
Old October 19th 04, 08:40 PM
Rosie

Nikki wrote:
Yes you load them from the top. They take a lot more water because the
water has to be deep enough to actually cover the clothes. There is a
piece
in the center that agitates back and forth and/or up and down to get them
clean.

Sounds really violent - don't front-loaders (with just a spinning drum)
cause less damage to clothes?

Thanks for the info!

ROSIE
p.s. I don't have mine in the kitchen.... but yes most people do! : )

Old October 19th 04, 09:52 PM
Larry McMahan

In misc.kids.pregnancy Cathy Weeks wrote:

: The washer uses so little water that after the first load of laundry I
: called customer service to describe it, and they said that so many
: people called to ask if it was working properly that they are
: redesigning it so that the water enters the drum right above the door
: so you can see it filling!

: Also, what about soap. Consumer Reports says to get the best results
: to use special detergent made for front loaders and/or high-efficiency
: washers. I have some, and it works fine, but I've always liked the
: smell of Cheer. What soap do you use? How well does it work? Is it
: necessary to switch?

: Cathy Weeks
: Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01

We have a Maytag Neptune MAH6500AWW front loader. It also uses
very little water. I personally think that it doesn't clean as
well as our 20 year old Kenmore, but it uses MUCH LESS water.

On the other hand, when we visit Monika's dad in Munich we use
his Miele. It is a top loader, but it is a drum machine like
the American front loaders. IMNSHO, the Miele cleans MUCH
BETTER than either the Maytag or the old Kenmore. The negative
is that a wash cycle lasts 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

On the soap issue, Monika says that you don't have to use special soap,
you can just use 1/2 as much of your regular soap.

Lary
Old October 19th 04, 10:37 PM
Beach mum

We just bought a new front-loader (for the second time since we, too, had
moved) and we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Although the HE soap is more expensive,
it does do a better job. The front-loader has a cycle that is longer, but it
nearly matches the dryer's cycle so that isn't that big a deal. Plus, our
water bill is about to shrink since it uses much less water. It also has a
pre-wash/stained cycle, that does a fabulous job on severly stained clothes
(like E's after a rainy day at the park/beach). Our old one go the clothes
super-clean and I can't recommend frnt-loaders highly enough!!!!!!

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

om...

Old October 19th 04, 11:04 PM
Jamie Clark

"Rosie" wrote in message
Cathy Weeks wrote:
The washer uses so little water that after the first load of laundry I
called customer service to describe it, and they said that so many
people called to ask if it was working properly that they are
redesigning it so that the water enters the drum right above the door
so you can see it filling!

!! Sounds normal then.

I've got no idea what exists EXCEPT for front-loading machines - do you
load some from the top?! Doesn't that take up LOADS of space in a
kitchen? I've never seen anything else.

ROSIE
(In the UK - who had her first ever trip to the dental hygienist today at
the age of 30 - is that very British?!)

It might, but then so does putting your laundry in the kitchen. Most people
in the US either have a laundry room, or put it in the garage, at least
AFAIK.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels: