OT - Front-loading washing machine experiences?

Old October 19th 04, 11:10 PM
enigma

"Rosie" wrote in
:

Nikki wrote:
Yes you load them from the top. They take a lot more
water because the water has to be deep enough to actually
cover the clothes. There is a piece
in the center that agitates back and forth and/or up and
down to get them clean.

Sounds really violent - don't front-loaders (with just a
spinning drum) cause less damage to clothes?

yes, front loaders are much more gentle on clothes. they also
use far less water (a top loader uses about 40 gallons
151.416 Liters per load & less soap. i think most can do
slightly larger loads too, since there's no center post.
lee
Old October 19th 04, 11:44 PM
Larry McMahan

In misc.kids.pregnancy Banty wrote:

Excuse me, you quoted the whole bloody post to add 5 words?

Doesn't your editor know how to delete text?

Thank you,
Larry
Old October 19th 04, 11:46 PM
Larry McMahan

In misc.kids.pregnancy Rosie wrote:

: Sounds really violent - don't front-loaders (with just a spinning drum)
: cause less damage to clothes?

Absolutely. Our old top loading agitator machine used to
regularaly fray my cuffs before any other part of the shirt
was slightly worn!

Larry
Old October 20th 04, 12:48 AM
Cathy Weeks

"Rosie" wrote in message ...

I've got no idea what exists EXCEPT for front-loading machines - do you load
some from the top?! Doesn't that take up LOADS of space in a kitchen? I've
never seen anything else.

Well, over here on this side of the pond, there are a few different

1. A one-piece unit that has both a washer and a dryer with the dryer
on top, so it's stacked, except that you can't take them apart. For
an example, go to http://www.bestbuy.com and paste FLEB8200DS into the
search box to see an example. It's a toploader by the way, even though
they are stacked. I don't think these are common, and they are
probably the most common in apartments and other small dwellings.

2. Top loading washing machine: Most common. See model CWS3600AS for
an example. When you open the top you see a doughnut-shaped space -
basically a round basin with a spindle sticking up from the center.
You arrange your clothes around it, and it fills with water. The
spindle turns back and forth, "agitating" the water. These are the
most common, and the least expensive. These cannot be stacked. There
are some new high-efficiency top loaders (they look the same from the
outside) that move the clothes up and down in that space. They are
quite a bit more expensive, and there hasn't been many reliability
studies on them yet (they are pretty new). They use less water, and I
believe less electricity. The problem with top loaders is that you
cannot overload them and expect to get the clothes clean. The other
problem is that you can have unbalanced loads - if you are washing
something big, it can gather all on one side of the spindle, then when
it's spinning the water out, it makes this horrible thumping noise,
and usually shuts off. I've seen them "walk" out of their spot from
this - they were rocking so badly. My gut feeling tells me that this
type of machine would get stains out better since the clothes are
actually soaking in water, but I could be wrong.

3. Front loaders that can be stacked with a dryer on top: See model
WM2277HB for an example. This is the model I wanted to buy, but it
was too expensive. These use the least water and electricity, and you
can completely fill the drum, unlike the top loaders, and it's
virtually impossible to get an unbalanced load. This type is faily
uncommon - maybe 10 to 15% of households, though they are gaining
quickly in popularity. Five years ago, there might be ONE model for
sale in a big sale. When we bought ours, there were at least 5 to
chose from. They are also starting to fall in price. Most are $1000
or more (ours wasn't - maybe around $700). Prior to buying this one,
my only experience with front loaders was at a laundromat, and
honestly, the only similarity that mine has is that you can see the
clothes tumbling, which I've always had a bit of a facination with
(since I was a kid).

4. Front loaders that can't be stacked: WM1832CW. Same as #3, but
can't be stacked.

As for where laundry machines are typically located in the US: I've
seen very few laundry machines in or near kitchens. I have seen it
done this way, just not very often. In the US, the vast majority are
in basements, garages or in a dedicated laundry room on the main
level. In the first house my husband and I owned it was in the
(unheated) garage, and in the winter time, we had to run a heater near
the washer for an hour or two prior to doing laundry, or the machine
wouldn't agitate. Big pain in the butt. Right now, our laundry room
is in our basement, and running up the stairs with baskets of laundry
is going to be a pain. All well - it'll be good exercise!

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old October 20th 04, 12:53 AM
Cathy Weeks

Banty wrote in message ...

Also, what about soap. Consumer Reports says to get the best results
to use special detergent made for front loaders and/or high-efficiency
washers. I have some, and it works fine, but I've always liked the
smell of Cheer. What soap do you use? How well does it work? Is it
necessary to switch?

Get rid of the stuff.

:-)

Believe me, we are trying! I can't tell you how many boxes I've
unpacked and thought "**WHY** did I keep this?" Our movers counted
the number of boxes of books they had to carry up the stairs: 105
boxes (boxes about 12inches x 18" x 9" tall - xerox boxes). One of
them scratched his head and said wryly "I hope you actually read all
these."

In order to sell our house, we filled a 10' x 10' x 10' storage unit,
and the resulting empty house was MUCH easier to keep clean enough to
suit our real estate agent. And, to our embarassment, we hardly
missed the stuff that was in storage. We also really liked the extra
room. So, we are planning on selling or donating all but our most
precious books, and getting rid of as much other stuff as we can.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old October 20th 04, 01:14 AM
Leigh Menconi

I use regular detergent but just use half the amount since the washer uses
half the water. Clothes last *so* much longer than with a top loader
because they just rub up against each other instead of having that center
swisher-thing to make them move. Another bonus is that since there's so
much more water spun out of the clothes, they also don't take as long to
dry. We've had our front-loader for over five years and the only problem
we've had is when some quarters got into the pump and it had to be replaced
(my son's not good about emptying his pockets).

Leigh

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...

Old October 20th 04, 02:36 AM
Jamie Clark

Or try Bookcrossing.com. It's fun and easy!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
I gave a lot of books to the schools in the Virgin Islands (I mailed
them), and to places in Belize.

At present I would give them to Boaters for Books
http://www.boatersforbooks.org/

grandma Rosalie

Old October 20th 04, 03:38 AM
Cathy Weeks

Larry McMahan wrote in message ...

On the other hand, when we visit Monika's dad in Munich we use
his Miele. It is a top loader, but it is a drum machine like
the American front loaders. IMNSHO, the Miele cleans MUCH
BETTER than either the Maytag or the old Kenmore. The negative
is that a wash cycle lasts 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

I'm having trouble imagining how the Miele works...It's a drum
machine, but it's a top-loader? I'm imagining a drum (cylinder turned
on it's side) but with a top opening...how do the clothes get inside -
if you open the top, then you'd see the side of the cylinder, rather
than the opening?

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old October 20th 04, 03:42 AM
Cathy Weeks

"Nikki" wrote in message ...

clean. Where I am at the front loaders are about three times as expensive
as the top loaders so most people have top loaders.

They are dropping in price. I have a middle-side top loader that cost
around $700 - that's much less than 3X the price of your average
top-loader.

We also have washer dryer sets where the dryer
is stacked up on top of the washer but the washer is still a top loader.
They don't take up much space.

When we went to Florida in January, we stayed in a condo that my
in-laws rented. It had one of the two-in-one stacked units, and you
are right, they take up very little space. It was in a small closet
outside one of the bathrooms. The closet was maybe 3 feet wide by
about 3 feet deep. I think that's the only time I've seen one in
actual use (not in an appliance store). We did a couple of loads of
laundry in it, and it did fine. I don't think they are very common.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01