Best advise for bf after c-section

Old August 15th 03, 11:31 PM
Irish Marie

Default Best advise for bf after c-section

A friend of mine has just had a baby girl today by c-section (I am so upset
for her, they sectioned her because they thought the baby was too big, it
turns out she was 8lb 10ozs, her last baby was 10lb 2oz so I reckon this was
unnecessary!)
Anyway, before she had the baby she was intending on bf so I am hoping that
she is continuing with her intentions. I won't get to pay her a visit until
Sunday but I was wondering what would be the best piece of advise I can give
her in relation to managing to bf after a section?
Thanks
Marie

Old August 16th 03, 12:11 AM
Irish Marie

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
: Irish Marie writes:
:
: : A friend of mine has just had a baby girl today by c-section (I am so
upset
: : for her, they sectioned her because they thought the baby was too big,
it
: : turns out she was 8lb 10ozs, her last baby was 10lb 2oz so I reckon this
was
: : unnecessary!)
:
: This is sheer idiocy, but I see that you are posting from Ireland where
: medical management of labor is very strong. Pity.
:

Very true, I was lucky this time around, my midwife had just returned from
the UK where she had attended plenty of home births and water births. She
was more willing than she "should" have been to let me play around with
positions and not break my waters after a certain length of time like she
"should" have.

: : Anyway, before she had the baby she was intending on bf so I am hoping
that
: : she is continuing with her intentions. I won't get to pay her a visit
until
: : Sunday but I was wondering what would be the best piece of advise I can
give
: : her in relation to managing to bf after a section?
: : Thanks
: : Marie
:
: Well, gee, I hope she was allowed to latch the baby on right after the
section.

That's what I am hoping too.

: I think that is the biggest factor in her favor if she was allowed to.
Second,
: I hope she was allowed to room-in and not send the baby to the nursery.
(but
: with the Irish hospital attitudes, I have my doubts).

Actually I think rooming-in is very much so practised in maternity wards and
hospitals here. There are nurseries but these are generally used for FF
babies, jaundiced babies under bili lights and the option is there to give
mum a rest. The nurses offered to take Liam on my first night on the ward
with him but i was feeling fine and chose not to send him which was fine
with them. The second night they took him as far as the nurse's station, he
fell asleep being wheeled in his crib.

I think she need to be
: very vocal about not allowing bottles and having the baby to nurse
whenever
: she wants.
:
: You also say that this is her second. Well, did she breastfeed her first?
If
: so, then even with the obstacles, she should do OK. If she formula fed
the
: first, then these obstacles could make it even harder.
:
Well it's her 4th.......did I say 2nd, sorry?! I never got around to asking
her if she fed her other children, I got the idea she was in the same boat
as me, giving up last time after just a few days.
Marie

Old August 16th 03, 01:27 AM
Larry McMahan

Irish Marie writes:

[...]

with the Irish hospital attitudes, I have my doubts). I think she need to be
very vocal about not allowing bottles and having the baby to nurse whenever
she wants.

You also say that this is her second. Well, did she breastfeed her first? If
so, then even with the obstacles, she should do OK. If she formula fed the
first, then these obstacles could make it even harder.

Good luck to your friend,
Larry
Old August 16th 03, 02:31 AM
HollyLewis

I won't get to pay her a visit until
Sunday but I was wondering what would be the best piece of advise I can give
her in relation to managing to bf after a section?

There really isn't a whole lot different about it at that point, although she
may need a little more help with positioning if her incision keeps her from
sitting comfortably.

The main problem that usually happens after a section is when the baby is
whisked off to the nursery, the mom has some complications that keep her un- or
semi-conscious for a long time, and they don't get to nurse for hours and hours
after the baby is born. If it wasn't an emergency situation and she has
insisted on being reunited with the baby ASAP they will likely be fine.

The best advice you can give her is the same you might give her if she'd had a
normal delivery.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old August 16th 03, 05:15 AM
Beth

"Irish Marie" wrote in message
I was wondering what would be the best piece of advise I can give
her in relation to managing to bf after a section?

It may be too late now, but I would make sure that she has someone stay with
her overnight, so that she can have the baby room in.

In my experience, that was the only thing I would change about my CS
experience. The incision and pain did nothing to hamper BFing for us.

You're sweet to think of her.

Beth

Old August 16th 03, 11:00 AM
azure

"Irish Marie" wrote in message
A friend of mine has just had a baby girl today by c-section (I am so

upset
for her, they sectioned her because they thought the baby was too big, it
turns out she was 8lb 10ozs, her last baby was 10lb 2oz so I reckon this

was
unnecessary!)
Anyway, before she had the baby she was intending on bf so I am hoping

that
she is continuing with her intentions. I won't get to pay her a visit

until
Sunday but I was wondering what would be the best piece of advise I can

give
her in relation to managing to bf after a section?
Thanks
Marie

I heard conflicting statements about milk coming in later for a c-section,
but mine did - I also had a bleed though. Just have her keep this in mind,
she may need to fight the good fight supplementation if her milk takes
longer than average.

Leah

---

Old August 16th 03, 12:14 PM
Iuil

"Irish Marie" wrote
A friend of mine has just had a baby girl today by c-section (I am so

upset
for her, they sectioned her because they thought the baby was too big, it
turns out she was 8lb 10ozs, her last baby was 10lb 2oz so I reckon this

was
unnecessary!)

Bullsh*t. Did she even go into labour or did they railroad her into an
elective?

Anyway, before she had the baby she was intending on bf so I am hoping

that
she is continuing with her intentions. I won't get to pay her a visit

until
Sunday but I was wondering what would be the best piece of advise I can

give
her in relation to managing to bf after a section?

Rest rest and more rest. Not easy when she has other kids around but she
should take every opportunity to sit down and put her feet up. And guess
what? Bfing will allow her to do that, unlike ff where she can just hand a
bottle over to someone else who then gets to sit down while she gets on with
whatever.

I think we've converted you btw :-).

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to firstnamelastname @eircom.net.

Old August 16th 03, 12:58 PM
Herself

Larry McMahan wrote:

Well, gee, I hope she was allowed to latch the baby on right after the
section. I think that is the biggest factor in her favor if she was
allowed to. Second, I hope she was allowed to room-in and not send the
baby to the nursery. (but with the Irish hospital attitudes, I have my
doubts). I think she need to be very vocal about not allowing bottles and
having the baby to nurse whenever she wants.

When I had my section, I didn't know to latch him on right away...and
couldn't anyway, since my arms weren't to move (or the monitors would go
off and the anest...aena...the one who gives the gas would get mad).
It's hard to nurse right away when they're stitching you up. Plus I
went and knocked out in recovery for 3 hours.

Rooming in is quite normal...
--
Meself
sahm, bf mom to P, 23/12/01

Old August 16th 03, 12:58 PM
Herself

Irish Marie wrote:

A friend of mine has just had a baby girl today by c-section (I am so upset
for her, they sectioned her because they thought the baby was too big, it
turns out she was 8lb 10ozs, her last baby was 10lb 2oz so I reckon this was
unnecessary!)

Where did she have it? Sounds like her consultant was a bit...old
fashioned?

Anyway, before she had the baby she was intending on bf so I am hoping that
she is continuing with her intentions. I won't get to pay her a visit until
Sunday but I was wondering what would be the best piece of advise I can give
her in relation to managing to bf after a section?

She can...that's the best advice. I did, with great help from the
midwife at Holles St. Let her ask you any q's about bf also, and if you
don't know, ask them here.

If she doesn't have a nursing pillow, get her one. They make a world of
difference. And if she's exhausted sitting up (I was a lot of the
time), make sure she knows she can nurse lying down.

Good on you, Marie...how's Liam doing?
--
Meself
sahm, bf mom to P, 23/12/01

Old August 16th 03, 04:52 PM
Irish Marie

Default Pointless :-( Best advise for bf after c-section

I text her today and she has given up already :-(
She text back that the baby was very slow (wtf?!) and that she is going to
feed her SMA instead.
I'm gutted for her because I know she'll regret this.
I am going to visit her tomorrow and I'll have Liam with me, no doubt I'll
have to feed him while I'm there so I'll at least let her know that all is
not lost and she may still be able to reverse her decision, but I don't hold
out much hope.

Thank you all for your advise. I will save it up in my memory for my SIL
who is having her second baby in February and I suspect may go for an
elective rather than a VBAC.
Marie

Target's Baby Section Ted Pregnancy 17 July 15th 04 04:14 PM
stats deja blues General 10 October 10th 03 06:55 PM
ttc need advise J Pregnancy 7 August 14th 03 04:20 PM
Nursing Infant With Cleft Lip - Advise Please? NG User Breastfeeding 3 July 22nd 03 11:04 PM
DRUGS-INDUCED/DRUGS CAN WORSEN RLS/PLMD: CAUTION! RLS/PLMD patients taking a medication prescribed by their qualified healthcare provider in this Section should not abruptly stop it. They should consult their qualified healthcare provider first. [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 16th 03 05:58 AM