Best advise for bf after c-section

Old August 16th 03, 04:56 PM
Irish Marie

Default Best advise for bf after c-section

"Herself" wrote in message

:
: Where did she have it? Sounds like her consultant was a bit...old
: fashioned?
:
Same place as me and yes her's is old-fashioned. I barely got to meet mine,
but I prefer dealing with midwives anyway and I had stand-in consultants
that were very nice.
I don't think it is coincidence that she was going private and ended up with
a section.

:
:
: Good on you, Marie...how's Liam doing?
: --
He's doing great :-) He weighed 10lbs 7ozs the other day, a whole pound up
on what he was leaving the hospital. He's already starting to fill out and
grow out of some of his clothes. He is very alert during the day, spends
ages just looking around.
I brought him for his BCG the other day, I hated it!
Marie

Old August 16th 03, 10:33 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default Pointless :-( Best advise for bf after c-section

Irish Marie wrote:

I text her today and she has given up already :-(
She text back that the baby was very slow (wtf?!) and that she is going to
feed her SMA instead.

:-P yukko.

I'm gutted for her because I know she'll regret this.

Ah, yes, that's an expression not used here that well defines exactly how I feel
about mums ffding for no decent reason at all.

I am going to visit her tomorrow and I'll have Liam with me, no doubt I'll
have to feed him while I'm there so I'll at least let her know that all is
not lost and she may still be able to reverse her decision, but I don't hold
out much hope.

Bubble over with enthusiasm and mention that things start slowly, but oh HOW
worth it it is, and can you help with something while she gets settled to nurse,
it's not too late, etc etc. Though you're right it sounds entirely like she's
got blinders on wrt anything but the "party line".... :-((

Thank you all for your advise. I will save it up in my memory for my SIL
who is having her second baby in February and I suspect may go for an
elective rather than a VBAC.

Elective csects have to be the closest second possible to ffding....perhaps a
dead heat actually. Talk about an industry relying on half-truth and
misinformation. ("But your uterus will rupture into tiny bits and you will be
dead....are you still sure you want to try a VBAC, honey?")

((Marie)) it's really hard once you're converted, isn't it? Sadly, it's the
kind of thing that some friendships cannot survive, because it speaks to many
levels of values and ethics what one does at teh birth of a child, imo/e

Dawn

Old August 17th 03, 01:16 AM
Iuil

"Buzzy Bee" wrote
I was wondering what would be the best piece of advise I can give
her in relation to managing to bf after a section?

Jean and Elana's phone numbers ;-)

Elana's Stateside atm but by all means give her my number. If necessary I
can pass her on to my LLL leader who's had 5 c/s and is currently pg with no
6!

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to firstnamelastname @eircom.net.

Old August 17th 03, 04:54 AM
Beth

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
Elective csects have to be the closest second possible to

ffding....perhaps a
dead heat actually.

I had an elective c-section because of a fundal perforation during a blind
scissors metroplasty. Will you tell me that I was a fool to choose not to
go through labor with that upper segment scar? It was quite deformed at the
time of the c-section. If I get pregnant again, I'll have a section all
over again, even if you think that it makes me a stupid rube.

Beth

Old August 17th 03, 05:07 AM
H Schinske

Beth ) wrote:

I had an elective c-section because of a fundal perforation during a blind
scissors metroplasty. Will you tell me that I was a fool to choose not to
go through labor with that upper segment scar?

That's NOT an elective C-section! That's a section planned for a perfectly good
medical reason (not some vague thing like "oh, your baby might be kind of
big"). There's a huge difference.

--Helen
Old August 17th 03, 07:07 AM
Dawn Lawson

H Schinske wrote:

Beth ) wrote:

I had an elective c-section because of a fundal perforation during a blind
scissors metroplasty. Will you tell me that I was a fool to choose not to
go through labor with that upper segment scar?

That's NOT an elective C-section! That's a section planned for a perfectly good
medical reason (not some vague thing like "oh, your baby might be kind of
big"). There's a huge difference.

EXACTLY. Thank you Helen.
I haven't a problem with c-sect for NEED. I have HUGE problems wtih C-sect just
cuz the last one was, just cuz the baby ultrasounds a little on the large size,
just cuz the mom doesn't want to go thru labor (know two women like this..one chose
baby's birthday, the other has three kids and has never gone into labour AT ALL)
and other assorted convenience reasons. (oh, kid's head won't be
misshapen.......*good* reason...)

Dawn

Old August 17th 03, 07:26 PM
Herself

Irish Marie wrote:

I don't think it is coincidence that she was going private and ended up with
a section.

Hmmm...I went private, had a section. But I wasn't really charged for
it.

He's doing great :-) He weighed 10lbs 7ozs the other day, a whole pound up
on what he was leaving the hospital. He's already starting to fill out and
grow out of some of his clothes. He is very alert during the day, spends
ages just looking around.

YAY! That's so great to hear. And to see that he's doing so well on
bf. I'm glad that you feel good about all this :-).

I brought him for his BCG the other day, I hated it!

Yeah, I felt like hell afterwards. Did you nurse him right after (like
10 seconds)? That really calms them down...
--
Meself
sahm, bf mom to P, 23/12/01

Old August 17th 03, 11:57 PM
Irish Marie

"Herself" wrote in message
: Irish Marie wrote:
:
: I don't think it is coincidence that she was going private and ended up
with
: a section.
:
: Hmmm...I went private, had a section. But I wasn't really charged for
: it.
:
No, but I'll bet your insurance was!!

: He's doing great :-) He weighed 10lbs 7ozs the other day, a whole pound
up
: on what he was leaving the hospital. He's already starting to fill out
and
: grow out of some of his clothes. He is very alert during the day,
spends
: ages just looking around.
:
: YAY! That's so great to hear. And to see that he's doing so well on
: bf. I'm glad that you feel good about all this :-).
:
: I brought him for his BCG the other day, I hated it!
:
: Yeah, I felt like hell afterwards. Did you nurse him right after (like
: 10 seconds)? That really calms them down...
: --
I didn't need to, he fell straight back asleep afterwards..........I was the
one in need of comforting!! lol, you would think I'd be used to this after 3
kids!.
I bf him during his heel prick test though, and there wasn't a whimper.
Marie

Old August 18th 03, 12:49 AM
Herself

Irish Marie wrote:

"Herself" wrote in message
: Hmmm...I went private, had a section. But I wasn't really charged for
: it.
:
No, but I'll bet your insurance was!!

Well, we signed up with VHI three days before we found out we were
preggers. So no maternity coverage for a year...it was all out of our
pocket. :-) But we got to deduct it from our taxes!!

I didn't need to, he fell straight back asleep afterwards..........I was the
one in need of comforting!! lol, you would think I'd be used to this after 3
kids!.
I bf him during his heel prick test though, and there wasn't a whimper.

hehehe...I can't wait to meet him!!!
--
Meself
sahm, bf mom to P, 23/12/01

Old August 27th 03, 12:44 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Lara wrote:

*H Schinske wrote:
*
* Beth ) wrote:
*
* I had an elective c-section because of a fundal perforation during a blind
* scissors metroplasty. Will you tell me that I was a fool to choose not to
* go through labor with that upper segment scar?
*
* That's NOT an elective C-section! That's a section planned for a perfectly
* good medical reason (not some vague thing like "oh, your baby might be
* kind of big"). There's a huge difference.
*
*In the obstetric world, "elective C section" simply means "planned C
*section", regardless of the indication. I think the word you're looking
*for is "frivolous". (or "not medically indicated", if you prefer.)

that is not true. "elective" means "not medically indicated." "Scheduled"
means "planned, regardless of indication." Both elective and non-elective
sections can in fact sometimes be scheduled. Emergent sections are a type
of non-elective sections which can not be scheduled.

Target's Baby Section Ted Pregnancy 17 July 15th 04 04:14 PM
stats deja blues General 10 October 10th 03 06:55 PM
ttc need advise J Pregnancy 7 August 14th 03 04:20 PM
Nursing Infant With Cleft Lip - Advise Please? NG User Breastfeeding 3 July 22nd 03 11:04 PM
DRUGS-INDUCED/DRUGS CAN WORSEN RLS/PLMD: CAUTION! RLS/PLMD patients taking a medication prescribed by their qualified healthcare provider in this Section should not abruptly stop it. They should consult their qualified healthcare provider first. [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 16th 03 05:58 AM