Not co-sleeping

Old July 15th 03, 10:24 PM
Irish Marie

Default Not co-sleeping

I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
co-sleep.
My dh is a barman so he always stinks of passive smoke after work, he also
smokes the occasional cigar so he sometimes smells of smoke even when not
working.
So based on that I don't think that it would be wise to co-sleep with the
baby.
S/He will be sleeping by our bed in a Moses Basket and will be very easy to
hear and get to quickly.
I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
rates?

--
Marie
Mum to DD5, DS3 and due #3 July '03

Old July 15th 03, 10:47 PM
Circe

Irish Marie wrote:
I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and
didn't/don't co-sleep.

snip

I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on
co-sleeping rates?

FWIW, I've breastfed three kids successfully (for 3y2m, 2y3m, and 17 months
and still going) without co-sleeping much at all. We didn't co-sleep with #1
at all (and you'll note he was breastfed the longest thus far!), and
co-slept with #2 and #3 only for the first week or two (mainly because I
find doing so helps gets the baby's nights and days straightened out a bit
more quickly).

I think there *is* some correlation between co-sleeping and breastfeeding
success to the extent that it helps reduce some of the initial maternal
exhaustion associated with getting up and down many times in the night with
a newborn. I think moms who don't co-sleep are a bit more likely to give up
in the first weeks due to sleep deprivation than moms who do co-sleep. I
think the way 'round that in your situation might be for your husband to
sleep in a different bed for a couple of weeks. I know that's not
necessarily an attractive solution, and it mightn't be possible, but it's
something you might at least *consider* if you find yourself just completely
wearing out due to getting up and down with the baby at night. IME, the fact
that the baby is right next to you in the same room is not the same as
having the baby right there in bed with you--getting up, getting the baby,
and putting the baby to breast is considerably more effort and requires you
to wake up a good deal more than just rolling over and latching the baby on
while you're still half asleep.

And co-sleeping isn't something you have to do forever to be successful. You
just may find that it's helpful in the very early going when you're likely
getting the least sleep.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"Loose weight, feel great!" -- fair booth sign

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Old July 15th 03, 10:52 PM
Lucy

"Irish Marie" wrote in message
I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
co-sleep.

We do not co-sleep and are still bf-ing at 8 months.

Old July 15th 03, 10:56 PM
Irish Marie

"Circe" wrote in message
think the way 'round that in your situation might be for your husband to
sleep in a different bed for a couple of weeks. I know that's not
necessarily an attractive solution, and it mightn't be possible, but it's
something you might at least *consider* if you find yourself just

completely
wearing out due to getting up and down with the baby at night.

Well to be honest, it isn't really possible the only other beds in the house
are being occupied by DD and DS. The sofa wouldn't be an option it just
isn't comfortable enough.
The one benefit of his work is that he doesn't get home until very late
particularly at the weekends and when he does get home he stays up even
later watching tv to wind himself down a little, so I could probably
co-sleep the first portion of the night before he comes to bed, so long as
that wouldn't knock baby around too much.

IME, the fact
that the baby is right next to you in the same room is not the same as
having the baby right there in bed with you--getting up, getting the baby,
and putting the baby to breast is considerably more effort and requires

you
to wake up a good deal more than just rolling over and latching the baby

on
while you're still half asleep.

I kept DD and DS in the Moses basket also, although I used to FF them I
barely woke at night, in this instance hopefully the fact that I don't have
to heat a bottle up and wait with an impatient baby will mean that I can
lift the baby from the crib and have her in bed next to me in a jiffy. I
keep the basket really close to the bed, practically in it almost ;-)
But I get your point, maybe in the first few days at home when DH is off
work and off the cigars (if I have my way with him) I will co-sleep through
those nights.

And co-sleeping isn't something you have to do forever to be successful.

You
just may find that it's helpful in the very early going when you're likely
getting the least sleep.
--

Thaks Barbara.
Marie

Old July 15th 03, 11:11 PM
Molly Fisher

In article , Irish Marie
wrote:

I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
co-sleep.
My dh is a barman so he always stinks of passive smoke after work, he also
smokes the occasional cigar so he sometimes smells of smoke even when not
working.
So based on that I don't think that it would be wise to co-sleep with the
baby.
S/He will be sleeping by our bed in a Moses Basket and will be very easy to
hear and get to quickly.
I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
rates?

--

Having been through serious supply issues, I'd finally been able to
quit supplementing DD with formula at 7.5 months. However, since she

Neither DH nor I smoke anymore. I don't know anything about the risks
of cosleeping with stinky bar hair. DH /sometimes/ drinks a fair bit of
hooch, though (he's a professional too: a winemaker.) Even though he's
never exactly drunk, I keep DD on the outside of the bed between me and
the empty Arm's Reach on those rare occasional cigar and scotch nights
just in case.

--
Molly
http://www.fisher-studio.com/
Old July 15th 03, 11:37 PM
Irish Marie

"Molly Fisher" wrote in message

. I don't know anything about the risks
of cosleeping with stinky bar hair. DH /sometimes/ drinks a fair bit of
hooch, though (he's a professional too: a winemaker.) Even though he's
never exactly drunk, I keep DD on the outside of the bed between me and
the empty Arm's Reach on those rare occasional cigar and scotch nights
just in case.

That could work for me, hmmm
/puts on thinking cap
Thanks Molly
Marie

Old July 16th 03, 12:25 AM
Jolene

"Irish Marie" wrote in message

I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
rates?

No. Attachment parenting (at least, the AP that the Searses describe)
includes co-sleeping and breastfeeding as part of its practice; but you
don't have to have your child sleeping in your bed to "successfully"
breastfeed. Breastfeeding success depends on how committed you are to
offering your breastmilk as your child's primary source of nourishment and
whether, when all is said and done and that child has nursed for the last
time, *you* feel you've met that commitment. Your baby does not have to
sleep next to you in your bed for that to happen.

However, should you change your mind and decide to co-sleep, have DH shower
and shampoo before coming to bed. He'll certainly smell better; and he'll
probably be more relaxed and sleep better. If he balks, shower with him.
You'll be more relaxed and your milk will flow better.

[FWIW, I breastfed seven children for up to two years and my eighth is
still going strong at 27 months. None of my children co-slept; and none of
my adult children are eating their friends. I checked their freezers -
everything's from the store. ]

The Moses Bed sounds really sweet. Good luck.

Old July 16th 03, 12:27 AM
Naomi Pardue

I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
co-sleep.

I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
rates?

Didn't co-sleep. Baby slept in a carriage by our bed for the first 6 weeks,
then in a crib down the hall. Breastfed for 14 months.
(Didn't co-sleep for several reasons, among them:
1. We have a double bed, and couldn't possibly fit anything larger in our very
small bedroom if we wanted any other furniture.
2. I can't sleep touching another person... not even a baby.
3. I'm a light sleeper, and the noise/movement of a baby would easily keep me
up.

Crib worked fine for us. (After moving Shaina into her own room, I got up for
night feeds until she started sleeping through the night at around 7 months.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)