Middle school readiness

Old July 4th 07, 05:27 PM posted to misc.kids
Vickie

Default Middle school readiness

On Jul 4, 6:09 am, "Sue" wrote:
The other thing that I thought of was along the lines of getting good sleep
like Vickie suggested, but to also make sure the kids eat a good breakfast.
I know many kids think they cannot eat in the morning, but they can if they
tried. It helps their brains function and not get so sleepy during the day.
Also, I know many schools don't allow it, but if I could change one thing
with the school systems, it would be to allow the kids water bottles during
the day. Kids get dehydrated and then they get sleepy. They don't listen
well. If they could keep hydrated and had snacks throughout the day, it
would help the kids learn better.
--
Sue

Deja mentioned the sleep thing, not I.:-) It is important. True too
about breakfast.

In 4th and 5th at our elementary they let the kids keep water bottles
on their desks. I think it is a great idea.

Vickie

Old July 4th 07, 06:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Vickie" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 4, 6:09 am, "Sue" wrote:
[...]

It's standard practice round here for children to have a water bottle to
take round school with them. At #1's school the hm is very keen for them all
to have them. The government provides them with a fruit snack at break time.
Debbie

Old July 4th 07, 10:02 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:11:55 -0400, Sue wrote:

Hmm, I kind of liked that. Why were you turned off from it?

It made me want to gag.
Old July 5th 07, 07:37 AM posted to misc.kids
GGildy

On Jul 4, 12:13 pm, "Welches"
wrote:
"Vickie" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 4, 6:09 am, "Sue" wrote:
[...]

Debbie- Hide quoted text -

My school allows water bottles...

Old July 5th 07, 02:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Jeff wrote:
Sue wrote:
I agree with Vickie, the kids are ready. Seriously though what kinds
of things are you wanting to know? Take a tour of the building so they
have an idea of where to go. They usually have orientations that they
can attend when school was in session. Not much you can do though
until they actually get into the school and figure things out for
themselves.

The other thing to do is make sure they're reading a lot over the
summer. And check to see if there is required summer homework if you
don't know already.

Jeff

Also, find out what kind of notebooks, binders, etc., the kids need. At
the end of July through the beginning of September, RiteAid, Walgreens,
Target, Staples, OfficeMax, etc., will be having sale on school
supplies. You can get a box of 12 crayons for like 10 cents, 100 sheets
of paper for 50 cents, binders, marble notebooks, etc., real cheap,
especially compared to the prices that they charge after the sales.

Watch the flyers for the stuff that you need.

This is also good for the stuff that you need for your house (e.g., a
marble notebook to track your expennses or binders to hold your tax info).

Jeff
Old July 5th 07, 03:04 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

Jeff schrieb:

Also, find out what kind of notebooks, binders, etc., the kids need. At
the end of July through the beginning of September, RiteAid, Walgreens,
Target, Staples, OfficeMax, etc., will be having sale on school
supplies. You can get a box of 12 crayons for like 10 cents, 100 sheets
of paper for 50 cents, binders, marble notebooks, etc., real cheap,
especially compared to the prices that they charge after the sales.

However, make sure the teacher doesn't insist on a certain brand... We
had a teacher here (german school system) who wanted those crayon
_blocks_ not the pens (because they're just so much better! And look how
they can use them to also build stuff. HAH). Yeah, 18 Euros later..... I
was not impressed.

cu
nicole
Old July 5th 07, 03:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Barbara

On Jul 5, 2:37 am, GGildy wrote:
On Jul 4, 12:13 pm, "Welches"
wrote:

"Vickie" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 4, 6:09 am, "Sue" wrote:
[...]

My school allows water bottles...- Hide quoted text -

One's school must allow it, as I 've seen kids with them. I'm not
sure why its necessary or even desirable, OTOH. Kids get drinks at
lunchtime, and have access to water fountains at other times if
they're thirsty. Is hydration really that big an issue where you
live?

(We DO send water bottles to camp, BTW, since the kids are enaging in
physical activities all day, and not always close to a water
fountain.)

Barbara

Old July 5th 07, 03:53 PM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_4_]

"Barbara" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 5, 2:37 am, GGildy wrote:
On Jul 4, 12:13 pm, "Welches"
wrote:

"Vickie" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 4, 6:09 am, "Sue" wrote:
[...]

Only the newest elementary schools in our district (in suburban Philly) are
air-conditioned, the middle schools aren't (stink heaven!), and in the
spring and fall it gets very hot in the classrooms.

Old July 5th 07, 05:06 PM posted to misc.kids
Vickie

On Jul 5, 7:28 am, Barbara wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:37 am, GGildy wrote:

On Jul 4, 12:13 pm, "Welches"
wrote:

"Vickie" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 4, 6:09 am, "Sue" wrote:
[...]

Barbara- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I think it is important. Adults and kids don't realize that by
the time they are thirsty they are already dehydrated.

I am fairly lenient with my kids consumption of things. But not with
soda. At lunch time kids usually have juice or soda. Juice I am ok
with - soda no way. If they have a bottle of water with them through
out the day, I don't think they will drink as much of the other stuff.

Vickie

Old July 5th 07, 05:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Vickie wrote:
On Jul 5, 7:28 am, Barbara wrote:

Yes, I think it is important. Adults and kids don't realize that by
the time they are thirsty they are already dehydrated.

I am fairly lenient with my kids consumption of things. But not with
soda. At lunch time kids usually have juice or soda. Juice I am ok
with - soda no way. If they have a bottle of water with them through
out the day, I don't think they will drink as much of the other stuff.

just a note: Juice and soda are both sugar water.

Jeff

Vickie