Toddler wants only milk

Old June 5th 07, 02:57 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default Toddler wants only milk

On Jun 2, 5:55 pm, Emma wrote:
On May 31, 9:21 pm, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward

wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a nearly-16-month old who now has a 12-week old baby brother.
Lately she has been insisting on getting a bottle of milk every time
she sees her little brother having his. Today she had a bottle in the
morning, one in the afternoon, and one for dinner. She threw such
tantrums for it, and I've been so frazzled with looking after the two
little ones that I had to give in. I'm kicking myself for it now. She
did have a proper lunch with me but wouldn't eat anything later.

Should I try to phase out the milk, and the bottle, or can I still let
her have this for a few more months?

We occasionally use a sippy-cup but she's not a big fan.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!

It seems that she wants the bottle because of the baby, right? Not
just because she LOVES MILK. With my 15 month old, we've just switched
him to water bottles only (a stepping stone, because of dental hygiene
and nutrition), before taking the bottle away completely, so you could
try that. I think going cold turkey and telling her no more bottles
after the major change of a new sibling could be traumatic, but I
would probably do it anyway and try to give her some special love and
attention in other ways. She may be hungry (for food) but she will NOT
STARVE, she'll eat when she gets hungry, trust me. It may take 2 or 3
days of tantrums from a hungry and grouchy toddler, but in the end,
you will both be the better for it.

There will of course be tantrums, but don't pay attention to her
unless she's being good. TANTRUMS ONLY CONTINUE IF THEY'RE EFFECTIVE
FOR THE CHILD. Try saying, "stay in your room (or time out or
whatever) until you calm down, then you can come and cuddle with mom
(or dad)." I mean, I don't know her, but these are the things that
I've found to be effective with my little ones.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, that sounds like a good way to go. I really wasn't sure about
those milk bottles, especially the one last thing at night. The only
reason I am being less strict about it right now is because she is
indeed doing it because of the baby, and that's telling me I'm not
giving her enough attention (that she deserves).

I don't mind her tantruming-it-out, provided that I know I'm doing the
right thing. And I simply wasn't sure about this one.