I'm back!

Old October 15th 04, 10:34 AM
Tiina Kartovaara

Default I'm back!

Hello, everybody!

I think some of you might still remember me. (Em, you still lurking?)
I'm a Finn, will be 42 in a couple of months, had my second baby 13
months ago after 3 years of trying, had major anxiety attacks in the
beginning but then everything went fine..

Well, things have been pretty dramatic lately. I ran my second official
marathon in August, proud to do it while still a breastfeeding mom of a
11-month-old. Last month, I found out that a text of mine about L.M.
Montgomery had been selected to be published in a book next spring, and
my scrapbooks about her would be used as material for the illustrations.
My dreams were coming true with an astonishing alacrity..

And to top all that, on Oct 1st I found out why I'd been so tired and
queasy for several weeks and my period hadn't started in spite of Joel
nursing just once or twice a day. I was pregnant, and that wasn't all-
by the time I had a dating scan the following week, I was over 12 weeks
pregnant! Instead of a blob with a heartbeat, I saw a baby waving its
arms and legs. I was actually in my 6th week of pregnancy when I ran the
marathon! After the anxieties of prolonged ttc and getting over-vigilant
with your body, it feels wonderful to have sailed through the entire
first trimester without even realizing it!

I don't know how much time I'll have for posting - I could be more of a
lurker this time, and in spite of being excited and delighted, I also
feel quite wonderfully calm about the whole thing. But it wouldn't have
felt right to do this without at least telling the group!

Congratulations to all of you who are expecting, and good luck to those
who hope to be! And big congrats to all new moms, especially Mary S. for
having a beautiful baby sister for Sproutkin!

Tiina
SAHM to Emilia,5 and Joel,1
EDD April 18

--
”What is missing is that ecstatic sense of being dragged screaming
toward one’s destiny. But this is her destiny. Isn’t it? Wasn’t she

Gail Godwin, ”Violet Clay”

Old October 15th 04, 02:31 PM
Ilse Witch

Hi Tiina,

Big time congrats on your pregnancy!!

Yes, I remember you from when you were preggers with Joel. I'm still
around, as you can see my efforts at having a second have been less
succesful. I'm on progesterone supplements at the moment to boost the
luteal phase, but testing did not really reveal anything wrong with me.
Thanks to my charts, the GYN suggested progesterone, since I have a small
temp jump and relatively short luteal phase. Weird, isn't it, that the
general idea is that you shouldn't have kids after 40, and here you are,
with a healthy pregnancy at 42, and I'm 31 and had 3 m/c's. Just goes to
show, Mother nature has her own way of dealing with things...

I am totally amazed you managed to run a marathon being 6w pregnant. I've
decided to take up running, after losing some weight and starting a decent
work-out program. Together with friends we're going to try for a mini
triathlon. The swimming and biking are no problem, but I'm not much of a
runner...

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old October 15th 04, 03:10 PM
Shelley

Wow, congratulations. It sounds like you've had quite a year.

Shelley
mom to Jacob (2.5)
edd mar 30/05

Old October 15th 04, 08:37 PM
Sophie

Tiina
SAHM to Emilia,5 and Joel,1
EDD April 18

Yay! Congrats! I do remember you. And I'd love to have missed the first
trimester - lol.

Old October 15th 04, 11:35 PM
Mamma Mia

[...]

congrats, welcome back. I dont think our paths have crossed. LM
Montgomery - the one who wrote Ann of Green Gables was it? well done. let
us know when it is published!

christine

Old October 16th 04, 08:28 AM
Jenrose

And to top all that, on Oct 1st I found out why I'd been so tired and
queasy for several weeks and my period hadn't started in spite of Joel
nursing just once or twice a day. I was pregnant, and that wasn't all- by
the time I had a dating scan the following week, I was over 12 weeks
pregnant! Instead of a blob with a heartbeat, I saw a baby waving its arms
and legs. I was actually in my 6th week of pregnancy when I ran the
marathon! After the anxieties of prolonged ttc and getting over-vigilant
with your body, it feels wonderful to have sailed through the entire first
trimester without even realizing it!

I think I hate you. Just kidding... I'm just jealous as I am just right now
20 weeks along and finally, the past couple days, don't seem to get queasy
anymore, and as I went from an early miscarriage into another pg
immediately, it feels like I've been pg for about 28 weeks, 90% of which was
first trimester. The idea of "sailing right through without even realizing
it"... dreamy.

Congratulations though! Finding out late sure makes the pg seem shorter, I'm
sure!

The idea of running a marathon at 6 wks pg... Color me impressed.

Jenrose

Old October 16th 04, 10:52 PM
Kelly

Hi Tiina! Congratulations on your marathon and your pregnancy! I hope you
got a post race picture of yourself (especially if you were breastfeeding)
How great would that be to show people: a pregnant, breastfeeding, marathon
finisher! Very cool. Are you still running a bit?

Kelly

Old October 17th 04, 05:05 PM
Tiina Kartovaara

Kelly wrote:
Hi Tiina! Congratulations on your marathon and your pregnancy! I hope you
got a post race picture of yourself (especially if you were breastfeeding)
How great would that be to show people: a pregnant, breastfeeding, marathon
finisher! Very cool. Are you still running a bit?

Thanks, Kelly! I got a very smug-looking postrace picture all right(and
I didn't even know the whole truth!). Strangely enough, I found out that
at a very specific time in early pregnancy, the Hcg surge will actually
increase your stamina. It has to be very well timed, though - just a a
week or two before and after the race I felt sluggish and out of breath.
So my pregnancy doping worked perfectly, even if it was unintentional..

Yes, I still run, although I now walk part of my long Sunday run. Last
time, I jogged till 21 weeks, with the aid of a support belt. I hope to
do the same this time, too!

Tiina
SAHM to Emilia,5, and Joel,1
EDD April 18

Old October 17th 04, 05:21 PM
Tiina Kartovaara

Ilse Witch wrote:

Hi Tiina,

Big time congrats on your pregnancy!!

Thank you, Ilse!

Yes, I remember you from when you were preggers with Joel. I'm still
around, as you can see my efforts at having a second have been less
succesful. I'm on progesterone supplements at the moment to boost the
luteal phase, but testing did not really reveal anything wrong with me.
Thanks to my charts, the GYN suggested progesterone, since I have a small
temp jump and relatively short luteal phase. Weird, isn't it, that the
general idea is that you shouldn't have kids after 40, and here you are,
with a healthy pregnancy at 42, and I'm 31 and had 3 m/c's. Just goes to
show, Mother nature has her own way of dealing with things...

Well, I'm amazed about it, too! I hope it works out for you, and I'm
glad you're not losing heart. One of the reasons I'm so giddy about this
surprise pregnancy is that we had such a hard time conceiving Joel. I
haven't had any confirmed miscarriages, but I think I had several very
early losses, and trying for three years was very stressful. So I know
something about what you're going through, and tests didn't reveal
anything wrong with me either. It was so frustrating. Just hang in there!

I am totally amazed you managed to run a marathon being 6w pregnant. I've
decided to take up running, after losing some weight and starting a decent
work-out program. Together with friends we're going to try for a mini
triathlon. The swimming and biking are no problem, but I'm not much of a
runner...

Good luck with your project! I think being fit is a wonderful boost -
you just cope so much better with everything.

Tiina
SAHM to Emilia,5, and Joel,1
EDD April 18

Old October 17th 04, 05:34 PM
Tiina Kartovaara

Jenrose wrote:

I think I hate you. Just kidding... I'm just jealous as I am just right now
20 weeks along and finally, the past couple days, don't seem to get queasy
anymore, and as I went from an early miscarriage into another pg
immediately, it feels like I've been pg for about 28 weeks, 90% of which was
first trimester. The idea of "sailing right through without even realizing
it"... dreamy.

Hey, don't hate me because I'm not throwing up! ;-) Maybe "sailing
through" first trimester was a little strongly put, since the whole time
I was wondering why I was so queasy, sluggish, pimply, horny, weepy,
cranky, hungry, etc. What I *love* having missed is the nervousness of
those early months, worrying about miscarriage, and that whole thing.

Anyway, I'm glad you're not queasy any more, and I hope it's over with
for good.

Congratulations though! Finding out late sure makes the pg seem shorter, I'm
sure!

Thanks, Jenrose! Tomorrow I'm having my first official prenatal
appointment - at 14 weeks! :-)

Tiina
SAHM to Emilia,5, and Joel,1
EDD April 18