UI after finishing parental leave

Old August 19th 03, 02:49 AM
Lisa

Default UI after finishing parental leave

Hello,
I am taking parental leave.

I have a question.
If my employer lays me off after finishing parental leave, can I get UI?
If yes, how long can I get it?

Thank you in advance.
Old August 19th 03, 05:46 AM
Ali's Daddie

"Lisa" wrote in message
m...
| Hello,
| I am taking parental leave.
|
| I have a question.
| If my employer lays me off after finishing parental leave, can I get UI?
| If yes, how long can I get it?
|
| Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure if UI is a State thing or Federal thing.

But, what I remember from Jarrod being on it is this.

They take your rate of pay from 1 year and 6 months prior to your applying
for UI and give you most (or all) of that for up to 6 months.

Also, if you are laid off, the only major issue to getting UI will be if
your former employer (the employer from 1 1/2 years ago, not your current
one... if they are different) challenges it. Other than that, I remember it
being rather easy to qualify, but time consuming to keep...

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

To send me an email, please remove your hat

Old August 19th 03, 12:47 PM
Marion Baumgarten

Ali's Daddie wrote:

"Lisa" wrote in message
m...
| Hello,
| I am taking parental leave.
|
| I have a question.
| If my employer lays me off after finishing parental leave, can I get UI?
| If yes, how long can I get it?
|
| Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure if UI is a State thing or Federal thing.

But, what I remember from Jarrod being on it is this.

They take your rate of pay from 1 year and 6 months prior to your applying
for UI and give you most (or all) of that for up to 6 months.

Also, if you are laid off, the only major issue to getting UI will be if
your former employer (the employer from 1 1/2 years ago, not your current
one... if they are different) challenges it. Other than that, I remember it
being rather easy to qualify, but time consuming to keep...

-

Unemployment is a state program administered with Federal guidelines. If
you are laid off after parental leave, you normally would be eligible
for unemployment benefits. However, you must be ready,willing and able
to work- you have to make a job search ( and show some evidence of
actually looking).
Old August 19th 03, 05:16 PM
Truffles

Lisa wrote:

Hello,
I am taking parental leave.

I have a question.
If my employer lays me off after finishing parental leave, can I get UI?
If yes, how long can I get it?

Thank you in advance.

I see you are Canadian from your email address.

You might be eligible for EI (Employment Insurance, the term UI has not
been used for quite a few years now). I would suggest contacting you
local EI office and asking them or visit their website.

Theoretically, *I* think you would be eligible but I think with logic
and reason whereas EI is a government entity and we all know logic and
reason has nothing to do with government. LOL! :-D

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old August 20th 03, 03:13 AM
Lisa

Ali's Daddie, Marion and Truffles,
Thank you for your information. Those are helpful for me.
Of course I don't know whether I am laid off or not now, but I hear
the company condition is not good so I think there is a possibility
that I may be laid off.
Anyway, I will wait and see.