OT- IUD question

Old May 9th 04, 03:14 PM
Naomi Pardue

Default OT- IUD question

I'm going in next week to get an IUD (Mirena) iserted. (Mostly to control
irregular bleeding, but the contraception part is handy too.)

My gyn told me to take a couple of Advil about an hour before I go in, which
should minimize the discomfort from the insertion.

What about afterwards? Can I expect to be uncomfortble for a while afterwards,
or is it all over when it's over? (Just trying to figure out my work schedule
for next week!)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old May 9th 04, 09:57 PM
She's A Goddess

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
I'm going in next week to get an IUD (Mirena) iserted. (Mostly to control
irregular bleeding, but the contraception part is handy too.)

My gyn told me to take a couple of Advil about an hour before I go in,

which
should minimize the discomfort from the insertion.

What about afterwards? Can I expect to be uncomfortble for a while

afterwards,
or is it all over when it's over? (Just trying to figure out my work

schedule
for next week!)

I felt like I was in early labor for the entire night after having it put
it. The afterpains were far worse than the insertion.

BTW, irregular bleeding is a side effect. Michelle S. warned me, but I
didn't listen. (Woe is me, huh?)

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (2 1/2 years) and O. Boy (10 months)

Old May 9th 04, 11:00 PM
Circe

Naomi Pardue wrote:
What about afterwards? Can I expect to be uncomfortble for a while
afterwards, or is it all over when it's over? (Just trying to
figure out my work schedule for next week!)

I had no discomfort at all after my Copper-T insertion was completed (and
very little *during* the procedure). I *did* wind up taking a few doses of
Advil a couple of days after the insertion to help stop the bleeding, which
I presumed was due to inflammation, and that worked. But the only
side-effect I had from the insertion was the bleeding; no other problems at
all.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 9th 04, 11:50 PM
Mom to DA&CL

Let me just start by saying that I have had my Copper T for 2 years and I
LOVE it!
I took 800mg of Advil before the procedure, and it was fine. I didn't feel
hardly any cramping. I was on my period at the time, which most dr's prefer
since you are slightly dilated at that time.
The first period after having it placed....what a doozy. Very heavy
bleeding and horrible cramps. But after a few months that all went away and
I really do think it has all been worth it. Good Luck! Best form of BC out
there IMHO.
Karen
"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
I'm going in next week to get an IUD (Mirena) iserted. (Mostly to control
irregular bleeding, but the contraception part is handy too.)

My gyn told me to take a couple of Advil about an hour before I go in,

which
should minimize the discomfort from the insertion.

What about afterwards? Can I expect to be uncomfortble for a while

afterwards,
or is it all over when it's over? (Just trying to figure out my work

schedule
for next week!)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

(either remove spamblock or change address to to

e-mail
reply.)

Old May 10th 04, 12:10 AM
Naomi Pardue

I felt like I was in early labor for the entire night after having it put
it. The afterpains were far worse than the insertion.

BTW, irregular bleeding is a side effect.

So.. I've got one yes and two no's. Which is no help whatsoever ... ;-)

I already HAVE irregular bleeding, and the Mirena is supposed to help that
problem. I've got my fingers crossed.

Old May 10th 04, 04:33 AM
Uffin

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
I'm going in next week to get an IUD (Mirena) iserted. (Mostly to control
irregular bleeding, but the contraception part is handy too.)

My gyn told me to take a couple of Advil about an hour before I go in,

which
should minimize the discomfort from the insertion.

What about afterwards? Can I expect to be uncomfortble for a while

afterwards,
or is it all over when it's over? (Just trying to figure out my work

schedule
for next week!)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

(either remove spamblock or change address to to

e-mail
reply.)

I have a tilted uterus. It took them 45 mins to finally get the stupid thing
in and it was extremely painful the entire time. I felt horrible the entire
day with bad cramping. I think it just depends on the person.

-Meagan

Old May 10th 04, 10:56 AM
Clisby

Naomi Pardue wrote:
I'm going in next week to get an IUD (Mirena) iserted. (Mostly to control
irregular bleeding, but the contraception part is handy too.)

My gyn told me to take a couple of Advil about an hour before I go in, which
should minimize the discomfort from the insertion.

What about afterwards? Can I expect to be uncomfortble for a while afterwards,
or is it all over when it's over? (Just trying to figure out my work schedule
for next week!)

I found the insertion to be pretty painful (the midwife said, "oh, it
won't be like labor contractions or anything." Hah! It was exactly
like labor contractions.) Once it was in, though, I had very little
discomfort - mild cramping for 2 or 3 hours. That was it.

Clisby

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Intro, and Toddler/Daycare Question Betty Woolf General 4 December 3rd 03 03:25 PM