After school activities for 6yr old

Old September 26th 08, 04:26 AM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

Default After school activities for 6yr old

How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?
Old September 26th 08, 05:46 AM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Dad" wrote in message
How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?

What's the reasons for another activity? Is it because YOU want him to do
another activity or because he wants to?
At this point, DS is 7 (will be 8 in Jan) - gr 2 - and he doesn't do more
than 1-2 activities at any given time. Right now, it's football. I think
that started in about June or so - can't remember exactly. Football camp
was just at the beginning of summer, anyways. Then in the beginning of
summer, for a couple weeks it was 4 days a week. Then a couple weeks of 3
practices a week. Now that school's back in, he practices 2 times a week
plus one game on the weekend. That's, basically, 3 days a week of extras.
For him, it's more than enough, and for me as well. I would consider adding
another activity if it was only 1 day a week - something like a scouts
program or music lessons - if HE wanted and deserved it (school work was
getting done, his behaviour was good, his sleep schedule is fine, etc)
I would not do another activity if it took up more than an extra hour a week
(currently football practice is about 2 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays) and
the game on the weekend takes up about 2 hours on a Saturday or a Sunday.
I would NOT be running around the city 7 days a week - 5 evenings and 2
mornings/noons/evenings - under any circumstances. In a few years, I'll
also have to consider extra activities for DDs, and with 3 or 4 in after
school activities, 1-2 things at a time would be well more than enough for
me - and them as well.

Old September 26th 08, 10:04 AM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Dad wrote:
How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?

When my kids were that age, they had a maximum of one activity each.
OTOH, they did have siblings to play with.

I wouldn't put him in any mo it isn't just an hour per session. You
have to allow travel time, and getting ready time, and even "we need to
get ready in ten minutes time". So the hour long session probably uses
up at least another half hour, possibly a lot more.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old September 26th 08, 11:56 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Dad" wrote in message
How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?

I'm assuming grade 1 is about age 6 (?)

It depends on your child. Both their energy/concentration levels and whether
they want to. If he wants to then I'd say, give it a go, but if he's finding
it too tiring then he has to choose between them.

My #1 needs more sleep than her younger (by 3 years) sister. At 6 yo she had
3 after school activities. Swimming (40 minutes), Rainbows (This is
Guides/Girl Scouts for girls age 5-7) for 1 hour, and Ballet (40 minutes on
Saturday). This was as much as she could cope with. We dropped the swimming
as soon as she was a competent swimmer as she found it a bit much. She needs
a certain amount of down time where she is on her own, or just veg-ing out.
#2 is rising 5, having just started full time compulsory school. She does 3
after school activities, which are Theatre Dance (1 hour) Gym (1 hour) and
Ballet (30 minutes on Saturdays). She thrives on the busy-ness and could add
another activity without too much problems. She likes to be with people and
preferably other children.

Debbie

Old September 26th 08, 12:50 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Dad wrote:
How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?

It depends on the kid. Some can handle it and some
can't. If you don't have a heavy homework load from school,
some 6yos can handle an activity 3-4 times a week. Others
can't, without getting overtired, cranky and stressed.
You also have to be a bit careful in that as time goes
forward, each of the activities get more intense and
demand more time at the same time that schoolwork is
ramping up. You may find that he can spend *less*
time doing extracurricular activities in 3rd grade
than in 1st grade.
What is the other activity you're considering?
You've got two physical activities at the moment, both
related to hockey. If I were to add another activity,
it would not be something in that same arena. I'd do
a different type of activity. Sad to say, but there's
a relatively short window where kids can really sample
different activities and find the ones that they're
really interested in. At this stage, it's way too early
to know if hockey will be his thing, so it's good to let
him sample different kinds of activities (different sports,
music, arts, etc.).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 26th 08, 01:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Welches says...

"Dad" wrote in message
How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?

I'm assuming grade 1 is about age 6 (?)

It depends on your child. Both their energy/concentration levels and whether
they want to. If he wants to then I'd say, give it a go, but if he's finding
it too tiring then he has to choose between them.

The skating lessons are linked with the hockey, though.

How much longer are the skating lessons?

Banty

Old September 26th 08, 01:21 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Welches says...

"Dad" wrote in message
How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?

I'm assuming grade 1 is about age 6 (?)

It depends on your child. Both their energy/concentration levels and
whether
they want to. If he wants to then I'd say, give it a go, but if he's
finding
it too tiring then he has to choose between them.

The skating lessons are linked with the hockey, though.

How much longer are the skating lessons?

Ah! In the UK hockey is played on grass. Ice hockey is played on ice. I
didn't link them at all. Hockey is played by secondary school girls as the
main winter sport (along with netball). Ice hockey is played by students at
about 2am... very much more minor sport!
Debbie

Old September 26th 08, 03:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Is it too much? It depends.

1. Is he happy taking the lessons?
2. Are YOU finding yourself stressed by his afterschool activities?
(Ie, too much driving him, or not enough time to get ready for supper,
etc.)
3. Are the activities stressing your finances?
4. Does he have enough time to play, do homework, help you around the
house?
5. What would he be doing if he weren't doing these activities?
Something constructive (playing with friends, building legos) or
something not constructive (watching cartoons, whining that he's bored).
6. Is he getting enough rest?
7. Are there kids in the neighborhood he would be playing with
otherwise?
8. Is there a sibling being dragged around to all these activities? If
so, does that work well for the sib?

When my kids were in first grade they had violin lessons (30 minutes a
week of lesson and 15 minutes a day of practicing), Sunday school (3
hours on Sunday mornings), one team sport (1 hour/week of formal
practice), tae kwon do class (1 hour at a time, several days a week) and
often another activity, such as afterschool science club, or a drama
class.

There were no other kids near us to play with, and more formal playdates
were a bit hard to arrange (they were at a magnet school program with
kids coming from a dispersed geographic area), so the activities kept
them busy and happy. Had there been more kids in our neighborhood we'd
have limited the formal activities in favor of free play at home. We
still had plenty of free time at home, though, for kicking around,
reading, and even watching TV on a weekend.

There's really no set answer as to what is "too much". It depends upon
what works best for you and your child.

Have fun,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old September 26th 08, 08:20 PM posted to misc.kids
JennP.[_3_]

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:26:16 -0600, Dad wrote:

How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?

I think there are many factors to consider first, being the individual
kid, do they want to do it, do they have the stamina for multiple
activities, etc. Also, consider your family's overall schedule and how
that will effect it.

My son plays hockey and has four ice times a week. If the additional
activity were a once a week thing, I might consider it. The weekday
practices are at 6:00 pm so it still gives him ample time to go play
out in the neighborhood. I think you have to look at the amount of
free play time vs. structured time. I wouldn't let that balance tip
too far toward structured time, IMO.

Just curious, is he taking power skating lessons?

JennP.
Old September 26th 08, 08:22 PM posted to misc.kids
JennP.[_3_]

On 26 Sep 2008 05:16:46 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article , Welches says...

"Dad" wrote in message
How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?

I'm assuming grade 1 is about age 6 (?)

It depends on your child. Both their energy/concentration levels and whether
they want to. If he wants to then I'd say, give it a go, but if he's finding
it too tiring then he has to choose between them.

The skating lessons are linked with the hockey, though.

How much longer are the skating lessons?

Banty

They aren't always. It sounded to me like he was doing a separate
skating clinic. I was under the impression that he was spending 3
hours/week on skating lessons and hockey.

JennP.