son is often tired

Old July 23rd 08, 06:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Default son is often tired

My son is very often tired. I am a firm believer in the importance of sleep!
I think the main problem is that his mind is always thinking and moving. He
has a hard time stilling his mind. He will lay awake in bed playing in his
head all sorts of pretend games.

One thing that definitely helps is HARD physical exercise throughout the
day. And we are working to increase this further.

Another thing I thought would help if we were able to learn some meditaton
skills. I don't really know much about meditation. So I guess I have to have
a clue before introducing it. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to
proceed or other helpful ideas for sleep? Once asleep, he has no trouble.
But *falling* asleep is a problem for him, especially now that he is a
little older.

Thanks

Old July 23rd 08, 06:48 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Stephanie wrote:
My son is very often tired. I am a firm believer in the importance of sleep!
I think the main problem is that his mind is always thinking and moving. He
has a hard time stilling his mind. He will lay awake in bed playing in his
head all sorts of pretend games.

One thing that definitely helps is HARD physical exercise throughout the
day. And we are working to increase this further.

Another thing I thought would help if we were able to learn some meditaton
skills. I don't really know much about meditation. So I guess I have to have
a clue before introducing it. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to
proceed or other helpful ideas for sleep? Once asleep, he has no trouble.
But *falling* asleep is a problem for him, especially now that he is a
little older.

How old is he?

Another thing to consider is that there's been a reasonable
amount of research suggesting that the light from electronic screens
(tv, video games, computer) tends to reset one's internal clock. If
he's having trouble getting to bed, it might be better if he avoided
any screen time the last couple hours before bed.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 23rd 08, 07:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

Stephanie wrote:
Once asleep, he has no trouble.
But *falling* asleep is a problem for him, especially now that he is a
little older.

Very much like one of my kids. I consulted with his doctor and we give
him a low dose of melatonin some times. It does work for him.

--

Nikki, mama to 4 boys
Old July 23rd 08, 09:39 PM posted to misc.kids
news[_6_]

"Stephanie" wrote in message
My son is very often tired. I am a firm believer in the importance of
sleep! I think the main problem is that his mind is always thinking and
moving. He has a hard time stilling his mind. He will lay awake in bed
playing in his head all sorts of pretend games.

One thing that definitely helps is HARD physical exercise throughout the
day. And we are working to increase this further.

Another thing I thought would help if we were able to learn some meditaton
skills. I don't really know much about meditation. So I guess I have to
have a clue before introducing it. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to
proceed or other helpful ideas for sleep? Once asleep, he has no trouble.
But *falling* asleep is a problem for him, especially now that he is a
little older.

Does he consume caffeine?

Old July 23rd 08, 10:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

news wrote:
"Stephanie" wrote in message
My son is very often tired. I am a firm believer in the importance of
sleep! I think the main problem is that his mind is always thinking
and moving. He has a hard time stilling his mind. He will lay awake
in bed playing in his head all sorts of pretend games.

One thing that definitely helps is HARD physical exercise throughout
the day. And we are working to increase this further.

Another thing I thought would help if we were able to learn some
meditaton skills. I don't really know much about meditation. So I
guess I have to have a clue before introducing it. Does anyone have
any thoughts on how to proceed or other helpful ideas for sleep?
Once asleep, he has no trouble. But *falling* asleep is a problem
for him, especially now that he is a little older.

Does he consume caffeine?

Not a drop. We almost NEVER have candy and are not sweets eaters (much to
his dismay.)

Old July 23rd 08, 11:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Stephanie wrote:
My son is very often tired. I am a firm believer in the importance of sleep!
I think the main problem is that his mind is always thinking and moving. He
has a hard time stilling his mind. He will lay awake in bed playing in his
head all sorts of pretend games.

One thing that definitely helps is HARD physical exercise throughout the
day. And we are working to increase this further.

Another thing I thought would help if we were able to learn some meditaton
skills. I don't really know much about meditation. So I guess I have to have
a clue before introducing it. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to
proceed or other helpful ideas for sleep? Once asleep, he has no trouble.
But *falling* asleep is a problem for him, especially now that he is a
little older.

Are you sure falling asleep is a *problem* or do you just mean it takes
him some time?

The worst thing you can do with a falling asleep problem is to worry
about it. Some people do genuinely take a little time to fall asleep -
20 minutes is perfectly normal, or even longer.

Worrying about not-being-asleep-yet turns into a vicious circle, which
keeps you awake.

I don't think pretend games are a problem, as long as they are all in
his head. Alternative methods are the old favourite of counting sheep
(or footballs, or just numbers). Variations are counting up to ten, and
then restarting from zero. Or counting backwards from some number. Or
doing sums.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old July 24th 08, 12:51 AM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Penny Gaines wrote:
Stephanie wrote:
My son is very often tired. I am a firm believer in the importance
of sleep! I think the main problem is that his mind is always
thinking and moving. He has a hard time stilling his mind. He will
lay awake in bed playing in his head all sorts of pretend games.

One thing that definitely helps is HARD physical exercise throughout
the day. And we are working to increase this further.

Another thing I thought would help if we were able to learn some
meditaton skills. I don't really know much about meditation. So I
guess I have to have a clue before introducing it. Does anyone have
any thoughts on how to proceed or other helpful ideas for sleep?
Once asleep, he has no trouble. But *falling* asleep is a problem
for him, especially now that he is a little older.

Are you sure falling asleep is a *problem* or do you just mean it
takes him some time?

The problem is that he is later tired during the day. Yawning, rubbing eyes,
emotional...

The worst thing you can do with a falling asleep problem is to worry
about it. Some people do genuinely take a little time to fall asleep
- 20 minutes is perfectly normal, or even longer.

Well 20 minutes would be a joy beyond belief! Longer... on an order of
magnitude is what we are dealing with.

Worrying about not-being-asleep-yet turns into a vicious circle, which
keeps you awake.

How would you suggest limiting his worry? He gets no angst out of me. I am
not there in his bed.

I don't think pretend games are a problem, as long as they are all in
his head. Alternative methods are the old favourite of counting sheep
(or footballs, or just numbers). Variations are counting up to ten,
and then restarting from zero. Or counting backwards from some
number. Or doing sums.

I am going to get him to add when he is 7 and wants to have fantasy games in
his head? I don't understand that.

Old July 24th 08, 12:57 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Stephanie" wrote:

Penny Gaines wrote:

The problem is that he is later tired during the day. Yawning, rubbing eyes,
emotional...

So he doesn't think he has a problem - you think he has a problem.

Would it be possible to let him sleep in so that he isn't tired later
in the day? Maybe he's just a night owl.

snip
I don't think pretend games are a problem, as long as they are all in
his head. Alternative methods are the old favourite of counting sheep
(or footballs, or just numbers). Variations are counting up to ten,
and then restarting from zero. Or counting backwards from some
number. Or doing sums.

When I was about 5, we were on a train trip and at night my 3 yo
sister asked my dad to read her a story. He said if she could stay
awake until he finished what he was doing, that he would. And try as
she would, she could not stay awake. I concluded that the best way to
put myself to sleep was to try NOT to go to sleep. And that's what I
did from then on and I still do it. I make up stories in my head and
find that I've gone to sleep pretty quickly. The only time this
doesn't work is if I'm really worried about something (like when my
son wasn't home yet or something like that) to the extent that my mind
keeps going back to that regardless of whatever else I try to think
about. Even then, if I concentrate really hard, I can at least doze
some.

Old July 24th 08, 01:08 AM posted to misc.kids
NL

Stephanie schrieb:
My son is very often tired. I am a firm believer in the importance of sleep!
I think the main problem is that his mind is always thinking and moving. He
has a hard time stilling his mind. He will lay awake in bed playing in his
head all sorts of pretend games.

One thing that definitely helps is HARD physical exercise throughout the
day. And we are working to increase this further.

Another thing I thought would help if we were able to learn some meditaton
skills. I don't really know much about meditation. So I guess I have to have
a clue before introducing it. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to
proceed or other helpful ideas for sleep? Once asleep, he has no trouble.
But *falling* asleep is a problem for him, especially now that he is a
little older.

Ok, basically, what I'm reading is: When he's not tired enough it takes
him forever to go to sleep.
Which makes a lot of sense because I think it's the same for everyone.
Have you tried moving his bedtime, just by a bit? So he's more tired
when he goes to bed and doesn't get so involved with his "mind-cinema"
that he makes himself stay awake longer?
What you could try is getting him an mp3 player and either headphones or
speakers (my son has my really good headphones *sigh*) and put stories
on it or maybe a relaxation exercise? Look around online. I have a
meditation tape that makes me go to sleep on the first chakra. Sadly I
don't have a tape player anymore. I should really look for this thing on
Cd or as a mp3...

I personally wouldn't look for meditation but for relaxation exercises.
There are people who say falling asleep while meditation isn't a "good
thing"... I don't know whether to agree or not, but I think the purpose
of meditation isn't necessarily entering a relaxed state that lets you
fall asleep. Relaxation exercises are different.

A relaxation exercise that works well for some people is letting your
body go to sleep from your feet up, i.e. "Your feet are tired and heavy,
your calves are tired and heavy, your knees,..." you can add stuff like
how they're warm and how you can feel them sinking into the ground,...
google relaxation exercises.
(http://scs.tamu.edu/selfhelp/elibrary/relaxation.asp seems to be a good
start)

cu
nicole

So Tired of It All . . . Leslie Pregnancy 39 October 9th 04 06:40 AM
Tired of this! Tori M. Pregnancy 4 September 8th 04 02:44 AM
tired..help Kari Breastfeeding 14 January 20th 04 04:39 PM
tired of bf Shannon G Breastfeeding 19 September 29th 03 08:08 AM
so tired - help please! teapot Breastfeeding 19 July 16th 03 05:55 PM