Budget-cut layoffs hit collections of child aid

Old May 8th 04, 05:16 PM
believeit

Default Budget-cut layoffs hit collections of child aid

Its difficult for me to feel sorry for these people. The are the most
inefficient, badly managed agency that I've ever dealt with.

Budget-cut layoffs hit collections of child aid

By Helen Gao
STAFF WRITER
San Diego Union-Tribune

May 3, 2004
A $12 million budget shortfall is forcing the county agency that
collects child support payments to consider laying off up to 160
workers and demoting 40 others, raising worries its already low
collection rate may drop.
The shortfall in the Department of Child Support Services is 22
percent of the agency's annual $55 million budget, and the layoffs
could affect 23 percent of its 700-member staff.
The agency already has more than 100 job vacancies and has cut travel,
training, printing, overtime and other expenses.
The proposed agency reductions are part of a larger county effort to
close a $151 million budget gap by eliminating 983 vacant positions
and laying off 394 workers. The county will decide on layoffs in June,
and it must balance its budget before the new fiscal year begins July
1.
Children's advocates are concerned that cutting the child support
staff could lead to lower collections and more families enrolling in
welfare and social service programs.
"The leading cause of welfare dependency is the lack of collecting
child support," said Geraldine Jensen, president of the Association
for Children for Enforcement of Support.
The nationwide collection rate on current support owed was 58 percent
in fiscal year 2002, according to the latest information on the
Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement Web site.
Jensen has long been frustrated with collection rates being lower in
San Diego County and in California. Those two entities collect in the
40-percent range for current support owed.
One of the reasons blamed for the low rate is because California and
South Carolina are the only two states in the country without a
statewide automated child support collection system.
San Diego County handles 136,000 active child support cases. Cases are
automatically referred to the child support services when parents of
children go on welfare. Other cases involve parents who have problems
arranging child support payment on their own.
A study released in February by The Urban Institute, a nonpartisan
policy research organization, estimated California saved at least $233
million in fiscal 2001 by collecting child support for families that
otherwise would need food stamps and other public assistance.
Last federal fiscal year, county collections totaled $155 million, of
which $50 million went to reimburse the state and federal governments
for welfare provided to low-income families.
Parental plea
De Anza Bandow, a single parent who has been struggling to get child
support from her son's father, said the county needs to do a better
job of collecting child support regardless of its financial condition.
"I know women who have lived in cars with their children" because they
didn't get child support, Bandow said. "It's a horrible plight."
The county's collection rate during the past five years has steadily
increased from as low as 27 percent to 41 percent mostly recently.
Thomas Boardman, who became head of county child support services in
2001, is worried about his agency's ability to maintain the gains it
has made.
"I think there is serious risk of us not being able to stay up above
40 percent on current support collections because of the staffing
cuts,"Boardman said.
In making cuts, he said he first will reduce resources for collecting
child support for out-of-state parents and for welfare reimbursement.
Local cases where welfare isn't an issue will get first priority, he
said.
"We will manage it so that it doesn't negatively impact San Diego
County residents," he said.
A federal fine levied against California for failing to create an
automated collection system is to blame for part of the budget
shortfall in child support services. Last year, under then-Gov. Gray
Davis, the state decided to bill counties for a portion of the $195
million fine. San Diego County's share is $3.1 million.
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger also has proposed keeping $39 million the
state has historically awarded counties for collecting child support
to reimburse the welfare system. The change would start July 1.
The county counts on the reimbursement money to get matching funds
from the federal government to raise nearly $9 million.
The only one
State officials say San Diego is the only one of California's 58
counties that reinvests the reimbursement money in child support
collections. Other counties use the money for different programs.
State officials said the reimbursement money is in addition to the
state's annual allocations to counties for child support services.
Nancy Stone, regional administrator for the California Department of
Child Support Services, defended the governor's budget because it
maintains the annual allocations at the same level as this year.
"Given our budget situation, it's a pretty good place to be," Stone
said.
The state faces a budget gap of as much as $17 billion, despite voters
in March approving a $15 billion bond to pay off some of the deficit.
Boardman said he has asked the Office of the Legislative Analyst to
convey to the governor the dire consequences of cutting the
reimbursement money. Some of his staff members have started a
phone-and-letter campaign to their state elected officials and the
governor.
"Those who find themselves most likely to be dismissed are highly
qualified, under-employed and settling for a less than comfortable
lifestyle so they may serve the public," wrote child support officer
Michele O'Donnell. "That a revenue generating agency, such as DCSS, is
preparing to lay off 23 percent of its employees is inexcusable."

Old May 8th 04, 06:34 PM
Jon

believeit wrote:
Children's advocates are concerned that cutting the child support

staff could lead to lower collections and more families enrolling in
welfare and social service programs.
"The leading cause of welfare dependency is the lack of collecting
child support," said Geraldine Jensen, president of the Association
for Children for Enforcement of Support.

No, the leading cause of welfare dependency is lazy women expecting somebody
to take care of them while crapping out xerox copies of themselves.

Old May 8th 04, 07:07 PM
Gini52

In article , believeit says...

Its difficult for me to feel sorry for these people. The are the most
inefficient, badly managed agency that I've ever dealt with.

Budget-cut layoffs hit collections of child aid

By Helen Gao
STAFF WRITER
San Diego Union-Tribune

"The leading cause of welfare dependency is the lack of collecting
child support," said Geraldine Jensen, president of the Association
for Children for Enforcement of Support.

========
This is pure bunk. Doesn't anyone ever ask for proof of these claims?
========

(PLEASE NOTE: I never bottom-sign my posts.
Check Headers to Verify the Authenticity of This Post)

Old May 9th 04, 12:10 AM
TeacherMama

"Jon" wrote in message ...
believeit wrote:
Children's advocates are concerned that cutting the child support

staff could lead to lower collections and more families enrolling in
welfare and social service programs.
"The leading cause of welfare dependency is the lack of collecting
child support," said Geraldine Jensen, president of the Association
for Children for Enforcement of Support.

No, the leading cause of welfare dependency is lazy women expecting somebody
to take care of them while crapping out xerox copies of themselves.

Now, Jon, you know that's not true. If you've ever watched Maury, you
know that every child needing support is a xerox copy of the DAD--not
the mom. In fact, it's a carbon copy of every one of the 15 possible
fathers. Watch the show--you'll see.