formula advertising, or not?

Old June 27th 06, 09:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Cost of daycare

Nikki wrote:
-all- kids, and diapers/wipes for the kids that needed them. And all
that for only about $100-150/week for full-time care!

cjra wrote:
Cost
for those who don't meet the cut-off for low income is $110-130/week,
not sure how low they go on their sliding scale.

Aw, man! =| This is what I get for living in metro New York. Where I
am, we're paying $250/week for full-time care; it includes food and
snacks for older kids, but doesn't include any kind of formula, baby
food, diapers, or wipes.

And, if you can believe it... around here, it's a *bargain* too!

Old June 27th 06, 10:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

cjra wrote:
Cost
for those who don't meet the cut-off for low income is $110-130/week,
not sure how low they go on their sliding scale.

Aw, man! =| This is what I get for living in metro New York. Where I
am, we're paying $250/week for full-time care; it includes food and
snacks for older kids, but doesn't include any kind of formula, baby
food, diapers, or wipes.

And, if you can believe it... around here, it's a *bargain* too!

This is a low COOL city, but it's also a very low income city. The
median is about $28K/yr. In my neighborhood - where the places I
visited are located, the median is closer to $20K/yr.

Old June 27th 06, 10:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Andrea Phillips wrote:
Aw, man! =| This is what I get for living in metro New York. Where I
am, we're paying $250/week for full-time care; it includes food and
snacks for older kids, but doesn't include any kind of formula, baby
food, diapers, or wipes.

And, if you can believe it... around here, it's a *bargain* too!

If it makes you feel any better, Andrea, I pay a bit over $150/week for
full-time care, which doesn't include any of the "perks," and I live in
the middle of North Dakota. Considering the difference between the ND
and NY standards and costs of living, I think it sounds like you have
an *incredible* bargain!! Considering what I pay, I would've thought
NY would cost a -fortune- more.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old June 28th 06, 12:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Carlye" wrote in message
oups.com...

Andrea Phillips wrote:
Aw, man! =| This is what I get for living in metro New York. Where I
am, we're paying $250/week for full-time care; it includes food and
snacks for older kids, but doesn't include any kind of formula, baby
food, diapers, or wipes.

And, if you can believe it... around here, it's a *bargain* too!

If it makes you feel any better, Andrea, I pay a bit over $150/week for
full-time care, which doesn't include any of the "perks," and I live in
the middle of North Dakota. Considering the difference between the ND
and NY standards and costs of living, I think it sounds like you have
an *incredible* bargain!! Considering what I pay, I would've thought
NY would cost a -fortune- more.

Same here. If you don't qualify for subsidy money or sliding scale, daycare
for an infant/toddler is between $200-$250 a week here. I'm paying $21/day
for a 5 hour MDO program here (although part of that is an upcharge for
early drop off).

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old June 28th 06, 02:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default formula advertising, or not?

Vanessa ) writes:
It seems to me that the agency is just advertising that they provide
formula for infants that are formula fed. Surely they'd give mother's
breastmilk to those babies whose mothers provide that to them, but they
surely can't provide breastmilk and therefore wouldn't include "nappies,
formula milk, mother's milk and healthy meals included" in their ad.

Of course, but I don't like it either. In effect, they're
subsidizing formula-feeding families at the expense of
bf ones. If they said "we provide formula, and free
snacks and drinks for bf mothers" it would be more
equitable. I doubt they would want to say that, though.

There are international guidelines for "Baby-friendly hospitals"
and I'm pretty sure one of them is the hospital must not
give samples of free formula to mothers. This seems
similar to me, though there may not (yet) be any
written guidelines against it.
Old June 28th 06, 02:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"cjra" ) writes:
All were quite happy to feed with EBM, they just provided formula as a
service.

But were they willing to *mention* EBM or bf before you
mentioned it?

If not -- how come they bring up the subject of formula, but
leave it to parents to bring up the possibility of bf?
This kind of thing contributes to a general myth
that formula and bottles and pacifiers
and cribs are used by all babies and/or that
although bf exists somewhere in theory, polite
people don't talk about it.
Old June 28th 06, 08:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Catherine Woodgold wrote:
"cjra" ) writes:
All were quite happy to feed with EBM, they just provided formula as a
service.

But were they willing to *mention* EBM or bf before you
mentioned it?

If not -- how come they bring up the subject of formula, but
leave it to parents to bring up the possibility of bf?
This kind of thing contributes to a general myth
that formula and bottles and pacifiers
and cribs are used by all babies and/or that
although bf exists somewhere in theory, polite
people don't talk about it.

Found this on our ds's nursery website:

Parents will have the facility to store frozen expressed breast milk if
necessary. Formula feeds can be prepared and brought in from home or
prepared by the nursery staff.

So looks like some get it the right way round, although to be honest I
would be seriously surprised if any nursery would *intentionally* try
and advertise formula over bm.

Jeni

Old June 28th 06, 01:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Catherine Woodgold wrote:
"cjra" ) writes:
All were quite happy to feed with EBM, they just provided formula as a
service.

But were they willing to *mention* EBM or bf before you
mentioned it?

I didn't ask. I wasn't on a mission or trying to make a point. I only
wanted to make sure they had adequate storage facilities. They were not
at all surprised, like it was nothing different.

Old June 29th 06, 02:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Carlye wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, Andrea, I pay a bit over $150/week for
full-time care, which doesn't include any of the "perks," and I live in
the middle of North Dakota. Considering the difference between the ND
and NY standards and costs of living, I think it sounds like you have
an *incredible* bargain!! Considering what I pay, I would've thought
NY would cost a -fortune- more.

I live in Toronto and pay $1100/month (that's the rate for 12-18 month
olds) at a very well-regarded non-profit daycare. Includes fresh cooked
meals, snacks, and milk and we provide diapers and wipes. For a couple
of months we had her in another, private, daycare centre before her
spot opened up in this place (which is at my work site), and it was
$1400/month. And we were happy to get a spot!! Our dollar is .90/USD

As to the OP I think they are advertising that they provide formula,
not advertising formula.

Elle

Old June 29th 06, 01:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote:

As to the OP I think they are advertising that they provide formula,
not advertising formula.

That was the case here as well.