Update - Induction Announcement

Old July 13th 05, 11:17 AM
Robert Powell

Default Update - Induction Announcement

Well yesterday was an interesting day; the temperature hit 86F - that's
around 28C for those of you in old money - and in the midst of the melting
tarmac (and melting parents to be) we headed off to our first hospital
appointment since going over the due date of July 4th.

We sat in a waiting room full of angry, hot, frustrated expectant mothers
and tired, harried looking, frustrated expectant fathers. DW proclaimed that
unless they did something for the heat in this place she was having this
baby at home! My mental observation that 'the NHS control over the weather
pattern was an ability I had not previously been aware of,' I wisely left
unspoken.

We were finally ushered into an examination room - which strangely was
cooler than outside, perhaps there is something to this NHS weather control
theory after all - and the midwife started the exam.

A little worried by junior - his rate of growth is still within normal
bounds but has reduced considerably form his earlier progress, indeed he
hasn't grown since the last week.

Blood pressure slightly elevated - perhaps you should've taken it before
telling us you were worried about junior? DW muttered archly.

Heart rate for both DW and junior are stable and strong.

Time for an internal and would DW like a membrane sweep?

Will it hurt?

More discomfort than pain.

Will it help?

Usually yes, a women came in last week who was 8 days over, demanding a
C-section, she had the sweep and was back 3 hours later giving birth!

BRING IT ON!!!

Junior could not be any lower.

Cervix is ripe and well forward.

Junior's head can be touched and is protected by a small pocket of fluid.

Sweep occurs with no pain involved, just an increase in pressure and the
result.., DW is 2 - 3 centimetres dilated.

Happy DW!!

Midwife sits down and starts 'grading' the cervix. Apparently if the marks
reach 8, they can break the water and start things off. DW's cervix gets a 7
(what nothing for artistic merit?).

Let's check with the doctor and the schedule and find an induction date -
though I think we're fully booked, it will probably be ten days from now
unless the things progress naturally.

Wait, wait, wait, wait.., are you insane? DW is 8 days over and you think
she can go another 10 days without killing something?!! Oh no, no, no, get
the crochet hook out, bring on the salad spoons, you can't do that to us!!!

Off the midwife goes, leaving us to contemplate another week of scorching
temperatures and searing frustration.

Good news; a women due for induction Thursday, was admitted an hour ago and
is presumably somewhere above us in a delivery suite, feeling the kind of
pain DW is really looking forward to. DW can be induced Thursday, just call
the ward at 8 in the morning - Ha! If junior isn't here by then DW will be
banging the damn doors down at 8am - and they'll arrange a bed.

What about the water birth - will induction stop DW having a water birth?

Depends on the type of induction, if it is just a matter of breaking the
waters then it shouldn't be a problem if there is chemical/hormonal
treatment then no, but given the 'ripeness' of the cervix that shouldn't be
the case anyway.

Besides now the sweep has taken place, there is a good chance junior will
arrive before his induction date anyway - just keep active and see how
things progress.

So off we go back home, but finally with a target date - by Thursday night
the chances are we'll be parents, possibly before if DW can stay active.

The heat hits us, DW stay active in this heat? More chance of me being able
to give birth for her!

She melts, but as we drive home she's feeling more positive than she has in
weeks, and spends the rest of the day doing pelvic rocks on her exercise
ball - best buy this pregnancy let me tell you - in the shade of the
backroom and repeating her mantra 'Out ya little beggar, out ya little
beggar, out ya little beggar..,'

Today though, still no pain, no contractions, certainly no need to grab my
swimming cossie and head off to the hospital, but the pressure is off and we're
both more relaxed about things. Life is still on-hold, but we know that come
tomorrow morning at the latest, that will change. This whole surreal feeling
of being on a bad reality hidden camera show will change and I and DW will
meet DS for the first time, and our lives will not only continue but change
in ways we can't imagine.

We couldn't be happier

Regards to all

Rob

Old July 13th 05, 04:30 PM
Circe

"Robert Powell" wrote in message
A little worried by junior - his rate of growth is still within normal
bounds but has reduced considerably form his earlier progress, indeed he
hasn't grown since the last week.

How did the midwife determine that the baby "hadn't grown" since last week?
I assume the statement was made based on the fact that your wife's fundal
height hadn't changed between this week and last. But unless you had an
ultrasound to measure the baby last week and another this week, that's
really not particularly concerning and doesn't really indicate that the baby
didn't grow. Although women usually gain about a centimeter per week of
fundal height growth during pregnancy, changes in fetal position can affect
that, so if the baby dropped some between this week and last, that could
easily account for a lack of change in fundal height measurement. (I went 5
weeks without a change in fundal height in my third pregnancy--u/s ruled out
IUGR and baby was born at a perfectly average 7lb.15oz. at 40w3d.)

Usually yes, a women came in last week who was 8 days over, demanding a
C-section, she had the sweep and was back 3 hours later giving birth!

Well, I have to share that membrane sweeping didn't *ever* help me go into
labor. Ever. I had it done at least 3 times with #1 and twice with #2. No
effect. IMO, it doesn't make a big of difference unless you're just about to
tip into labor on your own anyway.

Midwife sits down and starts 'grading' the cervix. Apparently if the marks
reach 8, they can break the water and start things off. DW's cervix gets a
7 (what nothing for artistic merit?).

Bishop's score. The higher the number, the better the chance that induction
will result in a successful vaginal birth. A Bishop's score of 9 or better
is best if you are planning to induce, although something in the 7-8 range
is generally considered okay and lots of practitioners will attempt
induction if the score is 5.

Depends on the type of induction, if it is just a matter of breaking the
waters then it shouldn't be a problem if there is chemical/hormonal
treatment then no, but given the 'ripeness' of the cervix that shouldn't
be the case anyway.

FWIW, it's rare for a nullip to be successfully induced by amniotomy alone,
cervical ripeness notwithstanding. I had a Bishop's Score of 9 with my
first, and my induction still required a hefty amount of pitocin. Breaking
my waters (which was done before pitocin starterd) did a fat lot of nothing.
(By the time I got to my third, all it took was breaking my waters and I was
in labor within 5 minutes. But that was my third birth. BIG difference.)

The heat hits us, DW stay active in this heat? More chance of me being
able to give birth for her!

LOL, you Brits don't like heat, do ya? At this time of year, I think it's
*cold* if the temperature in anywhere under about 85F. I wouldn't bat an eye
at 86, even if I were pregnant. But it's all in what you're used to, isn't
it.

Anyway, I recommend swimming if you can get to a pool. It'll cool off your
wife and allow her to do some activity without roasting.

Good luck with it all and I really hope baby decides he's ready within the
next couple of days. (You've past the median date for delivery in a nullip,
so really, chances it'll be soon are very, very good.)
--
Be well, Barbara

Old July 14th 05, 06:45 PM
stasya

Ya know, I have 2 kids, and with both all it took was breaking of my
waters. My OB just looked at my 2-3 cm dilated cervix, popped the bag
and we were off to the races. Both were born in roughly 3 hours. I'm on
my third, and I'm not terribly sure I want that kind of labor again
though. I had about ten contractions, and then had to push. Both times
I was trying not to push while they were wheeling me up to the delivery
room from the induction ward. My OB must like me, I'm pretty
predictable, all she has to do is find a 15 minute slot to fit me in to
pop out the baby and it's over and done with. The longest part is
delivering the placenta, I get bored and restless! Of course, that has
its own complications. Oh well, this time will be better...hopefully.
Anyway...good luck to you and your wife.
Stasya

Old July 14th 05, 11:51 PM
Kelly

Rob-
Best wishes to you, your DW, and dear Junior!

Warmly,
Kelly
ps-at the expense of your DW, your post is hilarious.

Old July 14th 05, 11:53 PM

The more you post about your wife, the more you make it seem that she
is some type of uncontrolled emotional bitch, which poorly reflects on
your abilities as a man. But then again, you wouldn't know what one is.

Enjoy your bitch.

Regards...

Robert Powell wrote:
Well yesterday was an interesting day; the temperature hit 86F - that's
around 28C for those of you in old money - and in the midst of the melting
tarmac (and melting parents to be) we headed off to our first hospital
appointment since going over the due date of July 4th.

SNIP

We couldn't be happier

Regards to all

Rob

Old July 15th 05, 03:34 AM
stasya

I once knew someone like you. They're in jail now.

Cheers

Old July 16th 05, 03:32 AM
Nikki

Robert Powell wrote:

Today though, still no pain, no contractions, certainly no need to
grab my swimming cossie and head off to the hospital, but the
pressure is off and we're both more relaxed about things. Life is
still on-hold, but we know that come tomorrow morning at the latest,
that will change. This whole surreal feeling of being on a bad
reality hidden camera show will change and I and DW will meet DS for
the first time, and our lives will not only continue but change in
ways we can't imagine.

I'm needing an update!! Baby should be here by now :-)

--
Nikki

Old July 16th 05, 04:48 AM

Nikki wrote:
Robert Powell wrote:

Today though, still no pain, no contractions, certainly no need to
grab my swimming cossie and head off to the hospital, but the
pressure is off and we're both more relaxed about things. Life is
still on-hold, but we know that come tomorrow morning at the latest,
that will change. This whole surreal feeling of being on a bad
reality hidden camera show will change and I and DW will meet DS for
the first time, and our lives will not only continue but change in
ways we can't imagine.

I'm needing an update!! Baby should be here by now :-)

--
Nikki

He's too busy crying to post. Wait until he gets over it or until his
wife gives him permission to get back on the computer after changing
diapers.

Regards...

Old July 16th 05, 06:12 PM
V.

Good luck!
You do know it's customary to post a birth story, right? Your posts are too
funny, I'd hate to miss the actual birth story!
Amy