Update on DD (wonderful!)

Old December 31st 05, 03:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Update on DD (wonderful!)

I posted a few times here during the first month or two of DD's
wonderful existance.

Both DW and I were struggling, frustrated and wondering why our DD was
so irritable. But, it was still worth it all.

Anyhow, I suggested to my wife to try eliminating dairy from her diet.
Just for S&Gs. It was hard since she drinks a LOT of milk. She agreed,
and also cut down the sugar (she has a sweet tooth).

DD is fed EBM exclusivley, BTW.

Well, 2 days later it was like someone turned off the hyperspace switch
on our DD! She is a totally different little girl! Happy, smiling,
cooing, and sleeping (you won't believe this) between 10 and 13 hours at
night. Always waking happy, and taking 3-4 naps during the day, again
always waking up happy. Gaining weight, in the 90th percentile, and now
starting to try to sit up on her own!

She's 11 weeks old tommorow. Since that day she has been like this.
Both DW and myself are much more at ease, having so much more fun with
DD, and loving her even more. And we can tell she is SSOOOOOOO happy!

The moral, in my book is, if it looks like a sugar high, it probably is.
There's no such thing as colic. At least in my book.

Just thought I'd share!
Old December 31st 05, 05:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Legbuh wrote:

Both DW and I were struggling, frustrated and wondering why our DD was
so irritable. But, it was still worth it all.

Anyhow, I suggested to my wife to try eliminating dairy from her diet.
[...]
Well, 2 days later it was like someone turned off the hyperspace switch
on our DD! She is a totally different little girl! Happy, smiling,
cooing, and sleeping (you won't believe this) between 10 and 13 hours at
night.

Good job! And good for you for supporting
your wife. It's difficult being off dairy
(I cheated over Christmas and DS#2 got spots
all over his face... I will never cheat
again!), but it's worth it.

-- Anita --
Old December 31st 05, 12:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Great news!

I wish I had tried eliminating dairy when my DD was much younger. SHe
had incredible colic but it was only after months of eczema that I
thought to try it. The rashs and stomach pains were gone. SHe has since
outgrown her intolerance.

Enjoy your little one, and it is difficult especially at first staying
off the dairy. Follow your instincts and continue to support your wife.
Sounds like you are doing wonderfully.

Larissa
Mum to
DD feb 99
DS mar 01
DD2 dec 03
Happy new year!

Old December 31st 05, 12:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi --

Based on how the foods you eat get from mom's mouth to her milk, my bet
would be on the dairy she eliminated from her diet. Here's a short list
of treats and staples your wife might like while she's doing the dairy
elimination:

Rich's brand non-dairy (kosher parve, actually) "creamer". Good in
coffee and for some cooking. Soy based.

Rice "milk" (calcium enriched, of course) with seltzer and, if wanted, a
shot of flavor (such as chocolate, almond ...)

Cookies baked with Fleischmann's unsalted margerine instead of butter.

My web site lists some other things she CAN eat, and offers other tips
that you may find helpful for your child. (Once your baby is weaned your
wife can go back to milk if she likes. Your child may or may not,
however, outgrown the milk intolerance.)

Your wife may also find out that, with the dairy elimination (even if
she starts on the sugar again) that her weight goes down pretty
rapidly. If it does, be sure to tell her how great she looks!

I'm glad you've found a solution to your baby's problem.
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old January 1st 06, 07:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"The moral, in my book is, if it looks like a sugar high, it probably
is.
There's no such thing as colic. At least in my book."

I'm very glad your daughter is doing better and you are all happy! But
I would like to point out that sugar in the mother's diet will NOT
affect the composition of the milk one bit. The dairy protein is a lot
more likely to have been the culprit.

Unfortunately, there are babies who have colic that doesn't seem to
respond to dietary changes ... I wish it weren't so, but some just have
to grow out of it. It's fortunate that yours is one that did respond
that way (and may well be able to tolerate dairy protein fine in a year
or two).

--Helen

Old January 2nd 06, 03:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote:
"The moral, in my book is, if it looks like a sugar high, it probably
is.
There's no such thing as colic. At least in my book."

I'm very glad your daughter is doing better and you are all happy! But
I would like to point out that sugar in the mother's diet will NOT
affect the composition of the milk one bit. The dairy protein is a lot
more likely to have been the culprit.

I understand that it could have been the milk protein. But here's a
question, and I'm not trying to be a smart*ss even if it sounds like it.

we always here "your baby eats what you eat" or "If I eat onions, my
baby spits it up" or "most likely the milk protein causing the problem."

Now, if my DW's sugar intake doesn't affect her BM, how does the milk
protein affect it? And why doesn't the milk protein in BM affect her
(or to a lesser extent)? How do flavors like onion, garlic, etc affect
the baby so much?

ie... protein, onion (flavor, or whatever) and other stuff "gets
through". But why not sugar? What about salt? What else "doesnt get
through"?

Why when this was an issue seemed like DD was having a sugar fit? I
mean bouncing off the walls like you just gave your 2your old 100 pixies
sticks? She wasn't spitting up, having D, etc... just spazzzzin
out! Almost possesed! (I about called a vickar! lol... sorry.. I just
wanted to say vickar...)
Old January 2nd 06, 08:37 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Legbuh wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Your wife's sugar level in her blood stream is immediately 'fixed' with
insulin. I can't see the blood sugar level being high enough to cause
those problems at that precise moment when the baby feeds. The body
regulates things like sugar, fat, protein in the breastmilk so that it
is perfect for the baby. Dairy protein, onion flavours, etc aren't
something that are regulated by any bodily function that I am aware of,
so the level found in breastmilk would probably coincide with the level
in the mother's bloodstream.

Does that make sense to anybody?

Jo
Old January 2nd 06, 09:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article ,
Legbuh wrote:

I would like to point out that sugar in the mother's diet will NOT
affect the composition of the milk one bit. The dairy protein is a lot
more likely to have been the culprit.

Now, if my DW's sugar intake doesn't affect her BM, how does the milk
protein affect it? And why doesn't the milk protein in BM affect her
(or to a lesser extent)? How do flavors like onion, garlic, etc affect
the baby so much?

ie... protein, onion (flavor, or whatever) and other stuff "gets
through". But why not sugar? What about salt? What else "doesnt get
through"?

I'm guessing here, but I'd guess that it's because some compounds are digested
and other are absorbed. We absorb the flavour of garlic, for example -- rub
some garlic on the soles of your feet and you'll taste it shortly afterwards!
Sugar (sucrose) is a pretty simple compound, and our body breaks it down
easily and (if we're talking about breast milk production) converts it into
lactose. The proportion of lactose in human milk is not affected by how much
sugar you have eaten recently, as far as we know, and that goes for most of
the basic nutrients that have been tested. Flavours and proteins might be a
different story.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old January 2nd 06, 07:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Legbuh" wrote and I snipped:

Now, if my DW's sugar intake doesn't affect her BM, how does the milk
protein affect it? And why doesn't the milk protein in BM affect her (or
to a lesser extent)?

I don't know definitive answers to your others questions, but I'll take a
stab at this one. When your wife drinks/eats cows' milk, some milk protein
in her breastmilk is cows' milk protein. Many babies have an intolerance to
this protein. Cows produce it to nurture calves. The naturally-occurring
human milk protein in breastmilk does not negatively affect nearly all
babies.

HTH,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old January 2nd 06, 10:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

PattyMomVA wrote:
"Legbuh" wrote and I snipped:

Now, if my DW's sugar intake doesn't affect her BM, how does the milk
protein affect it? And why doesn't the milk protein in BM affect her (or
to a lesser extent)?

I don't know definitive answers to your others questions, but I'll take a
stab at this one. When your wife drinks/eats cows' milk, some milk protein
in her breastmilk is cows' milk protein. Many babies have an intolerance to
this protein. Cows produce it to nurture calves. The naturally-occurring
human milk protein in breastmilk does not negatively affect nearly all
babies.

HTH,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

That doesn't make sense how cow's milk protein "gets through" but
nothing else does. And then we're back to "the baby eats what you eat".

32 week update and fluid issues update Jennifer Howe Pregnancy 1 April 29th 05 06:55 AM
Update on how we're doing zolwica Pregnancy 0 January 24th 05 07:27 AM
Update Jamie Clark Pregnancy 4 October 1st 04 06:37 AM
Update: Problems with 14yr old sister... Daniel Foster Parents 5 March 25th 04 01:44 PM
Use critical update Alex Nemeth Single Parents 0 October 2nd 03 03:42 AM