playing in the yard with a toddler

Old March 20th 05, 03:50 PM
toto

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:27:58 +1100, Chookie
wrote:

Our house was built in 1946, and the handles are 5' off the floor. In modern
Australian houses, they are much lower -- maybe 3' or 3'6".

Good grief. I am 5' 1" tall. I never have seen a doorknob or door
handle that high in any house I have been in. I would have trouble
with your doors, I imagine.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old March 20th 05, 05:57 PM
bizby40

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"bizby40" wrote:

I'm a little confused -- by 4 my kids were well able to reach the door
handles and open doors.

Are all door handles the same height in every house you've ever been in?

lol - yes they are.

Our house was built in 1946, and the handles are 5' off the floor. In
modern
Australian houses, they are much lower -- maybe 3' or 3'6".

The only older homes I've been in were my grandparents' homes. One was
completely refurbished around 1936, the other I don't know. My mom was born
in it in 1933, but I don't know how old the house was then. Both had pretty
typical knobs -- pretty much the same as in modern houses.

Bizby

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Old March 22nd 05, 09:42 AM
Chookie

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Our house was built in 1946, and the handles are 5' off the
floor. In modern Australian houses, they are much lower --
maybe 3' or 3'6".

i've never seen a doorknob 5' off the floor & i imagine that
must be terribly awkward. i'm 5'9" so having a doorknob at
chin level seems weird are *all the doorknobs in the house
the same height, or just the external doors?

No, they're all that height! I'm 5'4" and they are at chin height, so perhaps
they're a fraction under 5'. Why would it be awkward? *7'* off the floor
would be awkward!

Whatever height it is, it's quite common in older houses here, and as I said,
makes it a lot easier to keep DS inside! Not very useful if you are in a
wheelchair, though, which is why the current standard height is lower.