Supreme Court of Canada made their ruling

Old January 30th 04, 03:55 PM
Lisa aka Surfer

Default Supreme Court of Canada made their ruling

So there it is, the spanking law has been upheld. I'm a little surprised I
think, but I will give it some thought. I will say however, that I totally
support the position of teachers.

Here's a link:
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/01/30/spanking040130

Lisa

Old January 30th 04, 08:37 PM
P.Fritz

'Kate wrote in message ...
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:55:27 -0500, "Lisa aka Surfer"

So there it is, the spanking law has been upheld. I'm a little surprised

think, but I will give it some thought. I will say however, that I

totally
support the position of teachers.

Here's a link:
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/01/30/spanking040130

Lisa

They should have included parameters regarding number of times per week
or month too. There will be parents using this form of discipline every
day thinking that it's perfectly ok because it's legal. The age group,
2 to 12, should have been considered more carefully. I can't imagine
spanking a 10 or 12 year old girl, for example.

'Kate

No......but maybe a 22 y.o. one ;-)

Old January 30th 04, 10:16 PM
Paul Griffiths

"P.Fritz" wrote in message
'Kate wrote in message

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:55:27 -0500, "Lisa aka Surfer"

So there it is, the spanking law has been upheld. I'm a little

surprised
I think, but I will give it some thought. I will say however, that I
totally support the position of teachers.

Here's a link:
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/01/30/spanking040130

They should have included parameters regarding number of times per week
or month too. There will be parents using this form of discipline every
day thinking that it's perfectly ok because it's legal. The age group,
2 to 12, should have been considered more carefully. I can't imagine
spanking a 10 or 12 year old girl, for example.

No......but maybe a 22 y.o. one ;-)

Or even a 42 year old one, come to that. :-))

--
Paul Griffiths

Old January 31st 04, 06:02 AM
T_I_GG_ER

'Kate wrote in message ...
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:55:27 -0500, "Lisa aka Surfer"

So there it is, the spanking law has been upheld. I'm a little surprised

think, but I will give it some thought. I will say however, that I

totally
support the position of teachers.

Here's a link:
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/01/30/spanking040130

Lisa

They should have included parameters regarding number of times per week
or month too. There will be parents using this form of discipline every
day thinking that it's perfectly ok because it's legal. The age group,
2 to 12, should have been considered more carefully. I can't imagine
spanking a 10 or 12 year old girl, for example.

'Kate

I couldn't even consider spanking a 7 or 8 yo although I do not exactly
agree in spanking a child my daughter of 2yrs old minds just well with "time
outs" she ALWAYS says her pleases and thank you's and if someone sneezes she
says Bless you. and all that good stuff she can eat with a fork and knows
when I say "No Ma'am" it means no. I have never had to physically
Discipline my daughter ever, and never plan to either.

Old January 31st 04, 07:17 AM
Cele

wrote:

So there it is, the spanking law has been upheld. I'm a little surprised I
think, but I will give it some thought. I will say however, that I totally
support the position of teachers.

I'm happy it's been upheld. I don't think spanking is the best
strategy most or all of the time, but neither do I think the
occasional spank should make a parent a criminal. And the law was
about more than spanking. It also includes any kind of physical force,
and Terry's right, separating kids in a schoolyard fight generally
involves some physical force to yank 'em apart. Be a shame to have us
allowing 'em to beat each other to pulps because it's a criminal act
to separate them.

As it happens, I know Terry Price. She's a Yukoner and was the YTA
president the year I left. Really terrific person. Awesome teacher and
very caring human being.

Take care.

Cele

Old February 1st 04, 09:38 PM
Dennis Here

'Kate wrote in message

I'm not sure about the effect of time-outs over a lifespan. They are a
relatively new form of punishment and using isolation/withdrawal may
have repercussions too.

Doing the least harm, or the lesser of two evils, should be the guide
whether it's a swat on a behind or a time-out. I think some children
respond to physical punishment with fewer repercussions than emotional
punishment and vice versa.

I had to go and see Freddie's teacher last year about her sending Freddie to
stand outside the classroom as a style of punishment. It did not suit him at
all and I saw it as a form of humiliation that was way over the top as a
form of "punishment". I listened to the teachers excuses and rational but
said that I saw it more of an indication that it was she who had the
problems and it was up to her to find a way to control the children without
bullying or humitiating them. I thought it was all sorted until I was
chatting to another parent over the weekend who told me that he too has had
to go and see the same teacher for the same reasons. Worse still, he said
that his son had mentioned that Freddie is still subjected to this and is
consistantly picked on by this particular teacher.

So, do I go back to the teacher, or the the head, who I know will defend the
teacher, or write to the board, who will write back and tell me to take it
up with the teacher?

Dennis

Old February 1st 04, 10:33 PM
lm

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:38:14 -0000, "Dennis Here" Dennis@Large .ie
wrote:

'Kate wrote in message

[...]

He is taught by the same teacher over two years? I would write to the
teacher and copy the head on it. Always have a third party involved in
such communications, and put as much of it as possible in writing.
Could be that that particular punishment is what the teacher uses with
all the children, and your objecting to it is putting Freddie in the
spotlight more than he would have been otherwise. Not saying the
teacher is right or wrong, mind you.

Bear in mind that I've been through the wringer enough that I find it
necessary to put just about everything in writing, but even so, it
*is* effective.

lm

Old February 1st 04, 11:30 PM
Tiffany

Dennis Here Dennis@Large .ie wrote in message

'Kate wrote in message

[...]

One thing I learn in business is to follow proper procedure. Start at the
bottom and work your way up.