playing in the yard with a toddler

Old March 8th 05, 06:30 PM

Default playing in the yard with a toddler

My 2yo needs to expend some energy. We don't have any yard toys like
swings etc. All I have is a soccer ball. Any creative ideas on how to
make her play in the yard? Her sister is still a baby so they can't
play together yet.

Thanks.

Old March 8th 05, 07:20 PM
Sue

You might want to consider buying outside toys. You can go to garage sales
this summer to find good buys. My girls always loved sand boxes. A little
swimming pool for when the weather gets hot. Ride on toys are good for
outdoors. But, like Marie said, you can always bring some of her indoor toys
out so she can play. Balls of any sort are fun for toddlers. Put the baby in
a sling and go for a walk. Let your toddler go as slow or fast as she wants
(barring traffic of course). Get her a push toy to take outside or a
stroller for a baby doll and let her push.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

ups.com...

Old March 8th 05, 07:50 PM
Jeff

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 2yo needs to expend some energy. We don't have any yard toys like
swings etc. All I have is a soccer ball. Any creative ideas on how to
make her play in the yard? Her sister is still a baby so they can't
play together yet.

Find other kids in the neighborhood, and let them play next to each other.
when they get older, they can play together (they really won't play together
for a while yet).

Jeff

Thanks.

Old March 8th 05, 08:11 PM
Nikki

My 2yo needs to expend some energy. We don't have any yard toys like
swings etc. All I have is a soccer ball. Any creative ideas on how to
make her play in the yard? Her sister is still a baby so they can't
play together yet.

Sand box,
Wading pool,
Dog ;-)
Painting
Bubbles
Sidewalk chalk
Ride on toys
We had a big plastic kitchen sink/stove that we had inside for a long time.
We moved it outside and it was great. They could put water in the sink,
cook up some mud pies on the stove :-) The whole thing could be hosed off.
You can get those swings you hang from a tree branch reasonably priced.
Ball pit - better outside as it is big. Not so great in the wind though.
If the 2yo is closer to three they might like one of those basketball hoops.

Do you mean play alone? It was imperative to my sanity (and his) that my
2yo spend some time alone when I had the baby. His room was apparently a
pure pit of hell so we went outside. I had a safe yard and a not very
impulsive toddler. I started by teaching him very clear boundaries...and he
learned to stay inside them and I realize not all toddlers would, my #2
didn't. Then I started making excuses to come inside and I'd stay gone for
first 5 minutes, then longer and longer. I was eventually able to sit in a
rocking chair inside the patio door and watch him for 45-60 minutes. He
found outside to be very relaxing though and he was no longer napping so he
really needed down time and so maybe he was more willing? I couldn't get
him to be away from me for 5 minutes in the house.

--
Nikki

Old March 9th 05, 05:53 AM
P. Tierney

"Nikki" wrote in message
My 2yo needs to expend some energy. We don't have any yard toys like
swings etc. All I have is a soccer ball. Any creative ideas on how to
make her play in the yard?

If you mean alone, I'm not sure, as it depends on the kid.
Mine is three and still likes me (or someone else) to play with
her most of the time. I can't think of something outside, especially
something that's active (except at the playground), that I can stick
her on while I do other things. IOW, she expends energy best
when I expend it with her. I'm sure that some other kids are the same.

Her sister is still a baby so they can't
play together yet.

Sand box,
Wading pool,

I'll second both of those. Cheap plastic shovels and
pails can be used in both, and plenty of indoor items can be
used in them in creative ways, such as plastic bugs or animals.

Dog ;-)

Too smelly! ;-)

Painting
Bubbles
Sidewalk chalk
Ride on toys

Sidewalk chalk and bubbles are very popular here too, as is a
tricycle. Collecting rocks and sticks are good, especially on
walks (once it warms a bit more), and I can sling the newborn
while we discover what's out there. Tossing balls on the roof
and chasing them as they fall, searching for bugs and worms, etc.
Plastic yard toys (lawn mower, wheelbarrow, gardening tools)
are also good. It's also an age where kids are more likely to
want to "help", doing things around the yard (with the child using
real or plastic instruments, where needed) is another good activity.

P. Tierney

Old March 9th 05, 12:01 PM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
It's also an age where kids are more likely to
want to "help", doing things around the yard (with the child using
real or plastic instruments, where needed) is another good activity.

I totally agree with this. It's a struggle but DS (21 months) will "help"
me in the kitchen wiping counters, in the living room vacuuming (he has his
own working vacuum), and general mopping and sweeping (he has his own
broom).

For the outside, we just go for walks where he'll run ahead and then back to
us, we go to the playground (in my neighborhood), and just roll the ball
around. Sidewalk chalk is good.

Jeanne

Old March 9th 05, 01:34 PM
Nikki

P. Tierney wrote:
"Nikki"

Dog ;-)

Too smelly! ;-)

Heh - yes indeed. All in all, not worth it ;-)

Plastic yard toys (lawn mower, wheelbarrow, gardening tools)
are also good.

I forgot about lawn mowers. A good energy burner for my two because they
would follow dad all around the yard with their mower. That was a bit of a
work out since we had 2.5 acres of yard ;-) We have a tiny yard now but
they still mow with him. It was a great investment. Some of them make
bubbles. If they actually work that is a great way that a kid can make
their own bubbles.

It's also an age where kids are more likely to
want to "help", doing things around the yard (with the child using
real or plastic instruments, where needed) is another good activity.

Another good one I forgot. I planted herbs in pots all around our deck.
They loved to water them (you can apparently water chives almost non-stop
and they still live!). They also liked the smell, loved the fact that they
could snip pieces off, and I didn't have to worry if they ate some of it.

--
Nikki