If you listen to music with mature content, then....

Old September 24th 05, 01:20 AM
P. Tierney

Default If you listen to music with mature content, then....

At what age, or point, would you stop doing so when your
kids are in earshot?

If you don't, then I already know the answer, or am not
interested, so please respect the parameters. Thanks. ;-)

P. Tierney

Old September 24th 05, 01:34 AM
Nan

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:20:54 GMT, "P. Tierney"
wrote:

At what age, or point, would you stop doing so when your
kids are in earshot?

When they're old enough to mimic the 'bad' words.

Nan
Old September 24th 05, 01:42 AM
Ericka Kammerer

P. Tierney wrote:
At what age, or point, would you stop doing so when your
kids are in earshot?

I think it depends on how unhappy you'd be to hear
the content coming out of your child's mouth. Personally,
I think anything after 18 months is risky--earlier if you
have a particularly precocious child (a friend's child was
singing lyrics he heard off the radio by 15 months). It's
a gamble, of course. Your child might not start noticing
or singing along until much later, but it certainly can
start before 2 years.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 24th 05, 02:05 AM
dragonlady

In article GZ0Ze.399668$xm3.347548@attbi_s21,
"P. Tierney" wrote:

At what age, or point, would you stop doing so when your
kids are in earshot?

If you don't, then I already know the answer, or am not
interested, so please respect the parameters. Thanks. ;-)

P. Tierney

Not music so much, but some TV shows, movies, and only occassionally
music.

And I stopped when they started learning to speak. The music is
actually MORE of a concern to me, because they started singing along at
a pretty young age, and there are just some lyrics you don't even want
to THINK you MIGHT have heard from a little kid!

Old September 24th 05, 02:46 AM
dejablues

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
At what age, or point, would you stop doing so when your
kids are in earshot?

What do you mean by "mature content"? Rap numbers where they chant about
"bitches" and "hos"? Or something like "The Lemon Song" , "Whole Lotta
Love" or "Who are You" (that has one F word)?

As long as the music has some redeeming value, if I happen to be listening
to it and the kids are there, I wouldn't turn it off. I detest (c)rap, so
the chances of them hearing that are nil.

I remember when I was little, asking my dad, a huge rock fan, what
"Aqualung" was about (he didn't answer) , and what they were doing in "Why
Don't We Do it in the Road" (he said "driving"). :-)

Innuendo-laden stuff does not bother me, if the kids are old enough to get
the innuendo, they're old enough to listen.

Old September 24th 05, 03:40 AM
P. Tierney

"dejablues" wrote in message

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
At what age, or point, would you stop doing so when your
kids are in earshot?

What do you mean by "mature content"?

I was trying to think of the industry term, but upon relfection,
I don't think that's correct. Perhaps that's a TV or video game
phrase. I think "explicit lyrics" is what the music people use.

P. Tierney

Old September 24th 05, 03:50 AM
skeptic

When my daughter was 3 she started to use bad words she heard older
neighbor kids say.

I told her she was going to heard those words a lot but that doesn't
mean she can use them. I told her which words specifically that she
was using that she wasn't to use any more so there wouldn't be any
miscommunication.

I don't listen to adult music but we do let her watch R rated movies
with the exception of those that we feel are so scary that they'll give
her nightmares. She hears a lot of bad words but like her parents, she
doesn't use them.

Old September 24th 05, 04:37 AM
dragonlady

In article Gd2Ze.116$j_3.111@trndny07,
"dejablues" wrote:

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
At what age, or point, would you stop doing so when your
kids are in earshot?

What do you mean by "mature content"? Rap numbers where they chant about
"bitches" and "hos"? Or something like "The Lemon Song" , "Whole Lotta
Love" or "Who are You" (that has one F word)?

As long as the music has some redeeming value, if I happen to be listening
to it and the kids are there, I wouldn't turn it off. I detest (c)rap, so
the chances of them hearing that are nil.

I remember when I was little, asking my dad, a huge rock fan, what
"Aqualung" was about (he didn't answer) , and what they were doing in "Why
Don't We Do it in the Road" (he said "driving"). :-)

Innuendo-laden stuff does not bother me, if the kids are old enough to get
the innuendo, they're old enough to listen.

That was always my position.

I remember the first time I heard (or realized) my mother had said
something risque -- she said if I understood it, I was old enough to
hear her say it.

And a few years ago DD2 asked me when her Dad started saying all kinds
of "dirty" jokes; I assured her he always HAD -- she was just old
enough to understand them. (She said, "ewwww!")

Old September 24th 05, 04:39 AM
dejablues

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
At what age, or point, would you stop doing so when your
kids are in earshot?

What do you mean by "mature content"?

I was trying to think of the industry term, but upon relfection,
I don't think that's correct. Perhaps that's a TV or video game
phrase. I think "explicit lyrics" is what the music people use.

Okay. For example, the song "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand got heavy radio
play, and even appeared on "Kids Bop 8". It has no explicit lyrics, but it's
about sexual tension, and uses a sniper and shooting imagery to get that
point across. The Franz Ferdinand CD has no parental advisory.
I wonder if people have more of a problem with a song full of foul language
than they do with a song that doesn't have any, but imparts a dark message.

Old September 24th 05, 05:26 AM
0tterbot

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
At what age, or point, would you stop doing so when your
kids are in earshot?

If you don't, then I already know the answer, or am not
interested, so please respect the parameters. Thanks. ;-)

i reckon it depends on the child, and the kind of adult content you mean.

my older son (9) is not lyrically (or indeed musically) inclined, much. i'd
be happy for him to overhear most things because he doesn't pay particular
attention to music or lyrics, and if he overhears troubling words he tends
not to use them anyway & takes quite a mature attitude to swearing (i.e.
he's happy to wait to say the good gear when he's older ;-).

my younger son (6) is the reason i don't listen to adult content while he is
around, & haven't for years!! (i definitively cut it off when he was about 3
i think but 2 might have been better in retrospect). he _does_ tune into &
actively listen to music & lyrics, & thinks swearing is thrilling. indeed,
he hears f in songs where it simply doesn't exist! he's quite the one :-)

now that is basically concerned with lyrics that say effing this or effing
that in a song that doesn't have (discernable to a kid) "adult" content in
the storyline of the actual lyrics, if that makes sense. a song such as...
thinks... violent femmes' "southern death song" where there's no swearing
at all, but the lyric is loud & clear & easily discernable, is just
inappropriate or upsetting for kids (a father who murders his child, & then
suicides) & so would not be ok. a song like... thinks... nick cave's "john
finn's wife", with a few swear words, a lyric concerning the protagonist
seducing a bride & killing the groom, where the entire song is poetic rather
than baldly stated & things are worded such that a kid wouldn't necessarily
know, or take too seriously, the extreme events which have just occurred,
would be ok for my older son, but not the younger (not because he would care
about or understand the actual content, but because he would fixate on "he
said f! he said f!!!!!" :-)

for mine, per the examples above: i don't like little ds to hear effing this
& that, but big ds is ok. i don't want _either_ of mine at this point to
hear "i took my lovely daughter & threw her in the well". but, i don't
object either of mine hearing a line like: "i planted my bolo knife in the
neck of mad john finn, i took his wretched life" - it's still a murder, but
the whole thing taken in it's entirety is completely different to the first
example, but, contains swearing, hence, no, but only because of little ds'
swear-thing. if i had a third child who responded differently again, maybe
the latter would not be ok. it really can depend both on your child & what
kind of music you're talking about. :-)

on balance, if you're not sure, play it only when she is not there, & you
can't go wrong! same with movies & such. it's always ok to wait, but a child
can't un-hear or un-see something that bothered them or was otherwise
inappropriate.
kylie

Fat Content of Milk Increases with Time (FYI) Jo Pregnancy 50 September 16th 05 06:56 PM
Review: The Saddest Music in the World (**) Steve Rhodes General 0 May 28th 04 05:44 AM
Music to labor by Emily Pregnancy 6 March 17th 04 08:25 PM
Millionaire at 31 ... on the Internet! Listen to how he is doing it Adhura Lim Kids Health 0 October 4th 03 03:32 PM
[META] Parenting content and reader expectations Robin General (moderated) 1 July 26th 03 02:57 PM