Wow, it's been a long time!

Old July 31st 06, 09:40 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets
Leslie

Default Wow, it's been a long time!

Hi everyone!

I kind of fell of the face of the earth for awhile, but thought I'd
poke my head in and say hi.

Alex and Jordan turned 6 in May, finished kindergarten and are now busy
terrorizing the house and neighborhood. lol They are such extremely
active boys. My goodness they wear me out every day. This morning
alone, before I woke up, they used a full bag of powdered sugar to
cover Alex's bedroom and their bodies. They weren't too happy with not
being able to play until it was all cleaned up but too bad, right.

Does anybody else have kids that do that kind of stuff? It seems like
every few weeks or so something big like this happens. In between the
big messes like this one they do things like smear toothpaste on the
wall, bring in buckets of dirt or grass from outside and dump it, lots
of things. It's been like that for several years and to be honest, I'm
getting pretty tired of the whole thing.

Mostly I do time outs or take away things/activities that they enjoy.

They also fight an awful lot. Sometimes it's small stuff, like poking
at each other just to annoy the other one. Other times it gets really
vicious. This was one of the main reasons I separated them into
separate bedrooms, hoping the time apart would help, but it hasn't.
They were separated in Kindergarten for that purpose too, but it seemed
to make it worse. They'll be in the same class in 1st grade, so we'll
see if that helps their behavior at home.

I should say they don't act like this at school, church, or daycare.
People are always telling me what wonderfully sweet, thoughtful, kind
boys they are. They're so well behaved that their teachers have told me
they wish they had a classroom full of Alexs or Jordans. I wish these
people could see how they act at home. :-/

Have a great day everyone!

Leslie
Alex and Jordan 5/2000

Old August 1st 06, 06:16 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets
[email protected]

Leslie -

I've been told that when children "act up" at home, but behave as
preferred while in public, it's due to the fact that they feel safe and
comfortable with their family. It could be hooey, but I like to think
that it is because you've provided a safe haven for them to act out
their feelings and learn their boundries in your private environment.
Clearly they know what you expect as they act "appropriate" while in
public. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Missy
Julia and Morgan...5yo's getting ready for K!

Old August 3rd 06, 03:40 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets
Leslie

Thanks Missy!

I've heard that before, but needed the reminder. I hope that's what the
deal is with my boys.

BTW, saw that your little ones are starting Kindergarten.
Congratulations! It's a great milestone.

Leslie

Old August 3rd 06, 01:42 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets
Ellen

Hi Leslie,

Good to see you! My boys will be six in October. Bradley is very much
like your boys and Alex is just the opposite. I think he is the reason
we don't have more instances of the messes you describe! I think he
keeps Bradley in check most of the time, although there are also times
that B. will talk A. into doing something...like yesterday when they
decided it would be fun to put a plate of ketchup on the floor and walk
through it! If they both had Bradley's mindset, I'm quite sure I would
be dealing with that stuff on a daily basis.

All I can say is, be happy that they save all this stuff for you and
don't act that way for other people. It will pass, keep giving them
severe consequences, and eventually they will get it. Good for you for
making them clean up the powdered sugar. I think making them clean the
mess they make is mandatory at this age to show them why it's just not
worth it!

I'll be interested to hear how they do in the same class this year!

Take care,
Ellen

Old August 5th 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets
Shirley

Poking, teasing, bothering, mocking, bugging and just plan bothering is the
nature of the beast, I think. Chris and Kathleen do this constantly and
they are 11.5! Both are 5'5', both weigh about 120#, both are fairly equal
in school and anything physical BUT they still bug each other. In the car,
in the house, in their rooms, out of their rooms, when friends are here,
when they aren't. I still pull out the old "resolution table" deal I used
when they were little. When things get too bad they have to figure out a
solution, no TV, no moving, just sitting and looking at each other and come
up with a reasonable solution. Most of the time this really works well
because they don't want to just sit and do nothing. In the car is the
worst.

When they were 6 it wasn't a whole lot different. I think they just get
bigger and more articulate but it's still the same stuff.

Shirley (delurking)
Chris and Kathleen 1/95
ups.com...