Its started :(

Old October 26th 05, 08:11 AM
Mum of Two

Default Its started :(

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
ink.net...
A&G&K&H wrote:
I do know why this person is so adamant ... her own DS is 2 months
younger
than H and she is weaning him now (at 1 yo ... fine if that's her
choice)
and she wants to feel better about her own decision. Its just annoying
that
she thinks she knows more than me about it and that I'm just being
"stubborn" by continuing to bf H.

I would keep the peace because it's family,
so I'd just say something like "I'll think
about it"

I don't think I'd say that. Make any concession to being interested in her
unsolicited advice, and she'll probably never hear the end of it. IMO, it's
plain rude, family or not, to be giving someone unasked for advice WRT
weaning or feeding or any number of personal decisions like that.
I've always been honest about my feeding choices for DD, and assume if
people want to know more they'll ask, but I'd never tell someone outright
they should wean (or not wean) at a particular age.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 26th 05, 11:09 AM

A&G&K&H wrote:
In the past 2 weeks a few family members have started making noises about me
weaning H (14 mo).
I guess I'll have to start putting together some good comebacks.
Usually I ream off the WHO recommendations, but I need some other comments
for a particular family member who will always say something like " what
would they know ... my mother's aunty's friend's cousin got insert horrible
condition because she was bf for more than a year".
I do know why this person is so adamant ... her own DS is 2 months younger
than H and she is weaning him now (at 1 yo ... fine if that's her choice)
and she wants to feel better about her own decision. Its just annoying that
she thinks she knows more than me about it and that I'm just being
"stubborn" by continuing to bf H.

You guys are usually good with the comebacks so think me up some good ones
please

If it was me personally I'd probably go 'What the hell has it got to do
with you?!' . One thing I've noticed as a new mum is that some people
who have had babies think they have the right to make acccusatory (is
that a word?) comments willynilly without invite. I could take it if
they were right but their knowledge comes from having kids over 30
years ago so are generally talking tosh! Not knowing what I was doing
I'd have no defence, but if the same happened now rather than proving
my point with research I'd ask them to prove theirs with research. And
I don't just mean 'well I read it somewhere'. I mean full research
papers with trials and surveys etc.. This is probably OTT but perhaps
it might shut them up?

Jeni

Old October 26th 05, 11:41 AM
A&G&K&H

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

A&G&K&H wrote:

You guys are usually good with the comebacks so think me up some good

ones
please

The best one I've read, from "So That's What They're For," was:

"We plan to wean her so that she can attend an out of state college..."

HAHAHAH!

I like that one

Old October 26th 05, 11:43 AM
A&G&K&H

"Sue" wrote in message
"A&G&K&H"wrote in message
I do know why this person is so adamant ... her own DS is 2 months
younger than H and she is weaning him now (at 1 yo ... fine if that's

her
choice) and she wants to feel better about her own decision.

If she is weaning then she is probably okay with her decision.

Probably - I don't really care - its her kid.
She's a control freak though and isn't happy with *my* decision.... and
won't have it that there's *any* benefit to continued bf past a year.

Old October 26th 05, 11:46 AM
A&G&K&H

A&G&K&H wrote:
[...]

You got that right .... this SIL has no formal education but will out-argue
a professional on whatever topic (even if she knows almost nothing about
it). If I cam across as being a bit "wussy" on my stance, she'd just keep
plugging away until I do whatever she thinks is best.

Old October 26th 05, 11:47 AM
A&G&K&H

"Cuddlefish" wrote in message
And don't take it personally - their 'noises' are all about
them, not you.

ain't that the truth

Old October 26th 05, 12:19 PM
Sue

"A&G&K&H" wrote in message

Probably - I don't really care - its her kid.
She's a control freak though and isn't happy with *my* decision.... and
won't have it that there's *any* benefit to continued bf past a year.

Then definitely don't let it get to you. Just nod and go on your way. Why
does everyone let people get to them. It's none of their business.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 26th 05, 02:04 PM
Kim E

Here's a little list from LLL of comebacks to the question "isn't
he a
little old for that?"

--We work for National Geographic.

--I'm trying to raise his IQ.

--We're very old-fashioned.

--We're part of a study.

--Oh she's weaning now. She's down to 10 times a day.

--My MIL insists. She nursed my husband until he was 6.

--He doesn't sleep through the night, he doesn't like solid foods,
he
sleeps in our bed, we pick him up all the time, and we don't
believe
in spanking. I'm only trying to be consistent.

--She likes it.

--My mother is the U.S. Surgeon General.

--Oh? I hadn't noticed.

--He's allergic to artificial nipples.

--Well, that's one opinion.

--Hmm, no one's ever asked me that before!

--Actually, no, I'd love to talk about it. Do you have time for
coffee?

--What? And give up this bust line? Why do you ask?

--If she can't depend on her mother, whom can she depend on?

--No response, just stare.

--Oh my baby weaned, this is my sister's baby.

Source: LLL of Craven County, NC, USA

"A&G&K&H" wrote in message
[...]

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old October 26th 05, 02:54 PM
Stephanie

"A&G&K&H" wrote in message
In the past 2 weeks a few family members have started making noises about
me
weaning H (14 mo).
I guess I'll have to start putting together some good comebacks.

How about smiling and nodding? That always worked when my mil was starting
in on me about some thing or other.

Usually I ream off the WHO recommendations, but I need some other comments
for a particular family member who will always say something like " what
would they know ... my mother's aunty's friend's cousin got insert
horrible
condition because she was bf for more than a year".

Oh my, now that's unusual! Very noncomittal.

Old October 26th 05, 04:47 PM
Irene

A&G&K&H wrote:
[...]

Sigh, I'm starting to get the "So, do you know how long you'll be doing
that?" bit from my MIL, too. (DD is 18 months) Not in a pressuring
way, at least. I've been pretty much leaving it at "We'll wean when
we're ready" or something like that. And since ds weaned when I was pg
(at 2.5 years) and we are planning that dd is the last one, I really
have no idea when she will wean!

Sorry to hear your SIL is being difficult.

Irene