Sleep POLL

Old October 28th 05, 10:04 PM
Me Myself and I

Default Sleep POLL

1. How old is your baby?
Almost 9 months

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?
After she has had her feed

3. How many/long are the naps?
She has only nap of around 1 1/2 - 2 hours

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?
She has always slept in her own cot in her own room. She has her last drink
at 8pm and goes to sleep during that feed.

5. How many times do they wake over night?
She doesn't wake up unless she is teething.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?
Not sure what the recommended is but she sleeps 12 hours.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?
No. Do whatever makes you feel like you are being pro-active.

With both of my children I knew they WOULDN'T sleep through if they hadn't
had enough milk through the day. For her to sleep such long periods (Jazz
also was sleeping through from 4 months) I need to make sure she had lots
of milk during the day. If I had a really busy day and was late with a
couple of feeds which meant she actually missed a feed I knew that she would
wake up later on for it and she would. It's almost like she has a quota of
milk and food she has to have. If she didn't get that quota she wouldn't
sleep through.

Take care.

--
Pip

My girls :
Abby - 8 weeks early now 8 1/2 months old and crawling backwards only
Jasmine - 5 weeks early now 3 1/2 Favourite saying "I don't think so!"

"Inside me is a skinny women screaming to get out........but I can normally
keep the b*tch quiet with cookies"

--
"Jo" wrote in message
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't feel
so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in what
your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

3. How many/long are the naps?

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

5. How many times do they wake over night?

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

Thanks

Jo (Mum to Will, 5 months old - who is rolling rolling rolling!)

Old October 28th 05, 10:28 PM
emilymr

"I'm hoping she's saving it for this afternoon, because I have a dental
appointment and DH is going to stay at home with her rather than
bringing her to the dentist with me. I don't love this idea, and I've
made him promise to bring her to the dentist if she's inconsolable."

The first time I went out by myself sans le bebe was to the dentist,
and I enjoyed *every minute* of it!! hehe

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old October 28th 05, 10:38 PM
Raquel Kalbfus

BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
"Jo" wrote in message
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't

feel
so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in what
your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

16 months.

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

Usually by screaming and shaking the cot.

3. How many/long are the naps?

One, if we're lucky, in the afternoon, but she may sleep for up to two
hours. I try to get her to bed by 8.30. Or 9pm. Darn it, she gets up

before
7am! I want some time to myself already.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

In her own room, and now that the molars are through, she sleeps through
most nights (touch wood).

5. How many times do they wake over night?

None (frantically touching wood)

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

What the heck is the 'recommended' number of hours? No one ever told me
that, or her for that matter ;-) On a good day, she sleeps long enough for
me to eat lunch and hang the washing out. On a good night I get to sleep
too, but bad nights are usually on a work night. Murphy had a law about
that, I guess she doesn't want to break it.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

If you get yourself dressed in the morning by saying "left shoe, right

shoe,
blue shoe, white shoe" then step awaaay from the Dr. Seuss already.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 28th 05, 11:23 PM
Anne Rogers

1. How old is your baby?

4.5 months

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

put down in cot, or in middle of double bed and left

3. How many/long are the naps?

couple of short ones in the morning, 1ish hrs, long one in the afternoon
3-4hrs

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

in cot in room with big brother, put down in cot awake

5. How many times do they wake over night?

0

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

yes

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

hmm, dunno, I think books can help, but we could swap babies if you want!

Anne

Old October 29th 05, 12:45 AM
Raquel Kalbfus

1. How old is your baby? 12 months next saturday

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?
Nursing and then put him in crib or bed with me.

3. How many/long are the naps? 1 to 2 hours

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?
I nurse him to sleep or DH rocks him to sleep and then put him in crib.

5. How many times do they wake over night? about two or three times

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours? don't
know...pretty much

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?
I would read the books and then follow your baby's cues.
Raquel

Old October 29th 05, 01:38 AM
Leslie

Jo wrote:
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,

If it's taking an hour, my guess is you are trying before he is sleepy
enough. If it is taking very long, I'd get up and try later.
Otherwise, I would just get frustrated!

and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't
feel so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in
what your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

Almost one!

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

Nursing.

3. How many/long are the naps?

If we are home all day (rare), two naps, 1-2 hours each. Otherwise,
catnaps here and there, in the car, in arms, wherever.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

In our bed. She seems to sleep well.

5. How many times do they wake over night?

No idea. Usually once or twice before I join her, and probably at
least twice more. but I sleep through it.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

I don't know how much that is.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

Yes. :-)

Leslie

Old October 29th 05, 11:43 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Jo writes:

1. How old is your baby?

Two, and two days.

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

At nursery (same routine since he started there at 10.5 months): they lie
down on their mats, blinds are drawn, I think soft music is played, and out
they go... He naps on approximately half his nursery days now (and then
finds it hard to get to sleep at night: clearly transitioning to no nap).

At home, lies down with me on his futon, breastfeeds until almost asleep.

3. How many/long are the naps?

One per day, on about half of nursery days; very rarely at home. If he
naps, it's usually for 1 - 1.5 hours.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

In his own room, on a futon on the floor.

5. How many times do they wake over night?

None, usually, hooray!

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

I forget what recommended is. Usually gets 10 - 11 or so hours at night, so
with the occasional nap, averaging 11 - 12 hours in 24. I think this is
about average, maybe a little under.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

Probably :-)

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old October 30th 05, 01:15 AM
Patagonia

1. How old is your baby?

12 weeks

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

sometimes nursing, but usually falls asleep on her own - doesn't like to be
held/rocked to sleep (so different from her older brother!)

3. How many/long are the naps?

This greatly varies. She usually has one long nap (3-4 hours) during the
day, and several cat naps

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

In her crib, wearing a "baby bag" over a onsie or thermals.

5. How many times do they wake over night?

Generally one or two times - depends on when she last ate and whether she's
doing a longer stretch. Recently, normal stretch has been 6-7 hours, though
last night she went 9!

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

I don't know - I haven't really recorded her sleeping habits to find out.
But she seems fine - not overtired or anything.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

I think books are very helpful to give you general ideas of what the average
baby is like and ideas on how to help make your situation better, but all
situations are different, and if the books are making you feel worse instead
of better, then, yes - just drop the books and go with your gut - you'll be
much happier in the long run.

Jo (Mum to Will, 5 months old - who is rolling rolling rolling!)

Old October 30th 05, 07:15 AM
Not My Real Name

Jo wrote:
Ok, it's taking me about an hour to put him to sleep for nap times now,
and he doesn't stay asleep for even an hour any more. This wouldn't
feel so bad to me if I knew it was normal, so I am really interested in
what your babies to WRT sleep...

1. How old is your baby?

8 months

2. How does he/she get to sleep for naps?

Usually either nurses to sleep in my arms/lap, or he falls asleep in a
carrier on my chest or back. Occasionally in the car. If we're out,
he sometimes will nurse and fall asleep, and sometimes he'll just
quietly hum himself down to sleep and then his head will go 'thunk' on
my chest and he's out. It's very cute.

3. How many/long are the naps?

Usually at least 3 naps a day, sometimes 4, occasionally 5. First nap
is usually about 30 minutes, on my front or in my lap. Second nap is
usually closer to an hour, sometimes more; I expect that one to be a
little longer, so I'll either purposely put him on my back or after he
falls asleep I'll lay him on the bed. Later naps vary -- might be two
30-minute ones, might be one hour-long one. Probably naps about 3-4
hours total daily.

4. Where and how do they sleep at night?

Sleeps in bed between DH and me, usually closer to me. Usually on his
tummy. He's generally nursed to sleep, occasionally worn down to
sleep, then transferred to bed at some point. Sometimes I keep him in
my lap while I sit in my rocking chair and read for a couple of hours,
and sometimes I take him up to the bed sooner, just depends on what I
want to be doing that night.

5. How many times do they wake over night?

Typically twice, sometimes three times. I think, lol. I don't often
remember exactly. The first waking is often when I come to bed, after
he's been asleep in the bed for a couple of hours, often because he
needs to pee.

6. Does your baby sleep the 'recommended' number of hours?

I don't know. 3-4 hours of nap and about 10-12 at night, I guess. So
around 14 hours a day total. I would have said he's not as good as
sleeper as DD, because he wakes more at night and 5 hours without
waking at night is a good stretch, whereas DD slept longer stretches at
night. He's a better napper, though, than she was, and I think both of
them have been generally good sleepers.

7. Should I stop reading books and just get on with it?

Yes! The books haven't met *your* baby. I also wouldn't spend an
hour trying to get him to sleep. He's either way overstimulated and
can't settle down, in which case trying earlier might help, or he's not
tired enough, in which case trying a little later might help. I
also can't emphasize getting a good carrier well enough! There are so
many out there that you should be able to find at least one that works
for you and for your baby. I've got an Ergo, a sling, mei tais, and
wraps, and DS will sleep in all of them, and many of them work for back
carrying as well as front. I very frequently do laundry, clean, do
things with my 3yo, work on the computer, and cook dinner while DS
sleeps on my back. If we're at home most of the day, it's pretty rare
that I don't put him on my back at least once, usually for a nap. The
movement really seems to help settle him, and he thrives on being close
to me and swaddled/snuggled in a soft carrier. (Plus it keeps the 3yo
from deciding to play with "her baby" when he's sleeping, lol.) When
DD was an infant, she napped in my arms a lot of the time, rather than
in an actual carrier, since I had that luxury, but she wouldn't often
sleep very long if I laid her down. DS actually seems to sleep better
if I'm wearing him and moving, rather than just sitting and holding
him.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

-Sara
Mama to DD (3 1/2) and DS (8 months)

Old October 30th 05, 10:48 AM
Jo

Not My Real Name wrote:
Jo wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Sara. I do have a baby bjorn which he used to sleep in ok, but
not anymore. I have another carrier - a hug a bub but I can't get him
to look remotely comfortable in it. I need a lesson. Today was a weird
sleep... woke WIDE awake at 5am, and only slept for another 20 and a 15
min block until 9:30am when I gave up. Then had a 3 hour sleep with me
at 11:30 (well, he slept for 3 hours and fed 4 times in that time - I
didn't sleep that long!). Then was up until just after 6pm. He was
awake for a long time for him, and coped quite well.

Tonight I'm supposed to do my 10 day log, according to the NCSS. We'll
see if there is an improvement on 13 wakings a night!

As for taking an hour to get to sleep - I was feeding to sleep... well,
to almost asleep, then put him in the cot - he woke 5 min later, and was
acting tired as all hell but just wouldn't give in. In that case I
should probably get him up for another 1/2 hour, or try feeding him
again or something. It's so hard to think logically when you're tired!!

Thanks

Jo