Baby with *no* growth spurts?

Old September 6th 03, 12:27 AM
Chotii

Default Baby with *no* growth spurts?

....or do I just have so much milk that this kiddo doesn't *have* to build up
my supply? I've waited and waited for her growth spurts to have her catch up
to my supply...at 2 weeks, I hoped, at 3 weeks I prayed, and now we're
almost at 6 weeks and there's not a sign of a nurse-every-hour growth spurt
in sight. Not that she's not growing, I think she's put on 3 pounds since
she was born, but what's the deal?

--angela

Old September 6th 03, 01:01 AM
HollyLewis

...or do I just have so much milk that this kiddo doesn't *have* to build up
my supply? I've waited and waited for her growth spurts to have her catch up
to my supply...at 2 weeks, I hoped, at 3 weeks I prayed, and now we're
almost at 6 weeks and there's not a sign of a nurse-every-hour growth spurt
in sight. Not that she's not growing, I think she's put on 3 pounds since
she was born, but what's the deal?

--angela

DS' 3-week growth spurt was only noticeable in retrospect -- he nursed every
2.5 hours instead of every 3, was about all -- and he didn't seem to have one
at 6 weeks. At 12 weeks he had a major one. Again, he still didn't nurse
every hour, just more frequently than his typical 3 hour pattern, and I
could've sworn he gained 5 pounds overnight. :-)

The usual growth spurt schedule is subject to extensive variation in any given
baby.

Count your blessings, Angela. :-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old September 6th 03, 03:01 AM
AnnaS

DS is 6.5 months old and I have never noticed any growth spurts. Early on, he
started nursing every 2 hours and that has pretty much been his "schedule" ever
since then. He has always been a fast nurser, it only takes him about 5
minutes to eat. We have never a single nursing session that lasted more than
10 minutes. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Anna

Old September 6th 03, 04:44 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Chotii" wrote:

...or do I just have so much milk that this kiddo doesn't *have* to build up
my supply? I've waited and waited for her growth spurts to have her catch up
to my supply...at 2 weeks, I hoped, at 3 weeks I prayed, and now we're
almost at 6 weeks and there's not a sign of a nurse-every-hour growth spurt
in sight. Not that she's not growing, I think she's put on 3 pounds since
she was born, but what's the deal?

I had oversupply and never noticed any growth spurts either! The
bf-every-hour works to increase supply, and if you don't need to make more
milk, you won't see one.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old September 6th 03, 07:10 AM
KC

I'd say count your blessings. I didn't really notice the 3 week spurt
because I was having supply issues then, she didn't get back to her
birth weight until 3.5 weeks. The 6 week one was a doozy that made up
for missing the 3 week one I think. It was 9 days of what seemed like
constant nursing. The 3 month one I posted I thought it was done
after a few days, but in retrospect I don't think it was done. She is
still drinking pretty frequently when awake compared to how she was
drinking for a few weeks before, but it is alot easier than the 6 week
spurt because she actually turns down the breast occasionally :-)

I do think that having good supply makes the spurts easier. I tend
toward poor supply, so the spurts take longer before my supply catches
up than most I think.

KC
-------
Whittlestone Breast Expresser Distributor:
The Whittlestone Breast Expresser is a painless alternative to
"suction style" breast pumps. It uses a gentle massaging action
to more naturally express milk from the breast.

Special discount available for newsgroup participants.
Contact me at for details.