IUD Update 2(Sort of -- pretty OT)

Old November 6th 04, 04:58 PM
Naomi Pardue

Default IUD Update 2(Sort of -- pretty OT)

I posted a few weeks back about the problems I was having with my Mirena IUD,
that I seemed to be allergic to it. After talking to an allergist and my gyn we
weighed my options and I decided to have it out. To deal with the
constant/irregular bleeding that was sure to follow (the main reason I had it
put in in the first place), I decided to go with the endometrial ablation.
(Oddly, while the gyn had been pushing for a hysterectomy for months, she
barely even mentioned it this time, but agreed the ablation was the best
choice. I'll also have a tubal at the same time, since the ablation isn't 100%
effective as contraception, and a pregnancy would be very dangerous, and
probably not viable. (I pointed out to the doc who'll be doing it that I'm 43
and have probably never ovulated in my life, but he said it could still happen,
and the tubal will only minimally effect legnth of surgery and recovery. And he
was REALLY unwilling to do one without the other.)

Now... the first couple of weeks after getting the thing out, my skin looked a
lot better. Now the eczema seems to be coming back, so it looks like the IUD
wasn't the culprit after all. Sigh ... After giving it a lot of thought, I've
decided to go ahead with the ablation anyway, rather than getting another IUD.
Emotionally and practically, it seems to make the most sense. (Insurance will
cover it, and they MAY not be willing to cover another Mirena 6 months after
the first one, so the cost difference will be negligible, if anything. It's a
minor procedure, so I'm not worried about the health effects, and I like the
idea of getting the damn bleeding taken care of once and for all. So I go in
next Friday for the surgery, and I'm assured I should be back to work on
Monday. Then I guess I'll go back to the allergist and try to figure out
what's causing the eczema.

Naomi
Old November 6th 04, 09:30 PM
Mum of Two

Good luck with your surgery, and I hope the eczema clears up.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old November 7th 04, 12:45 AM
Leslie

I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble, Naomi. I hope the surgery goes
well, at least.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth