vomitting - why?

Old March 28th 07, 10:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

Default vomitting - why?

Perhaps kindy will have better luck. CPS was out here for an interview and
found no grounds to proceed with abuse (physical abuse was all she was
looking for despite the fact that my report had nothing to do with that).
If there is physical abuse going on, it does not appear to be leaving
marks.

can you write to a higher level, or make a complaint, CPS isn't just to
protect children from physical abuse, but neglect also, it sounds very much
to me like they are not doing there job properly.

Anne

Old March 29th 07, 01:01 AM posted to misc.kids
Aula

"Stephanie" wrote in message
b. Difficult to work with since even if clueless IS the problem she is
completely unwilling to discuss or address issues. This, among other
things, makes me wonder if it is *mere* cluelessness.

Unless she's a battered spouse who knows that pursuing the issue will result
in further issues at home and this is her way of protecting herself and/or
the child? Possible, but only people closer to the situation could even
begin to evaluate for that possibility.

-Aula

Old March 29th 07, 02:50 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Welches" wrote:

"Stephanie" wrote in message

Does he complain of headaches? I get nauseated almost any time I get a
bad headache, which is why I'm popping 3 ibuprofen at the first headache
twinge.

Only once. Yesterday he said his eyebrow hurt.

That's perhaps a point to look at. When I get a migraine (and I get sick
with a migraine but more feeling than actually being sick) just round my
right eyebrow is the first place to start hurting pretty much every time.
Debbie

My dd#1 was under some pressure in 4th grade (we moved in the middle
of the year and the teacher kept giving her failing grades on her
homework and would not explain what she wanted done)

Anyway, she started having migraines and throwing up. So I think
that may be it for the throwing up.

Old March 29th 07, 02:53 AM posted to misc.kids
Aula

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
can you write to a higher level, or make a complaint, CPS isn't just to
protect children from physical abuse, but neglect also, it sounds very
much to me like they are not doing there job properly.

medical neglect is a very hard bar to reach. i've known of a few cases
where the report was clearly about medical neglect and the investigator
still looked for signs of physical abuse. Investigators often do not
understand what medical neglect is nor how to investigate it. Bruises and
fractures are much easier to identify, etc. Perhaps if the OP were to talk
with a Protective Investigations supervisor from the local office and ask
exactly how to go about reporting it so that the real issue is investigated
it might help, but she should be aware that that conversation in and of
itself probably would not be considered to be the abuse call as it is not a
phone call made to their hot line for reports.

Another tact the OP could take is to sit down and write down a full log of
the medical issues, including dates when she asked parents to do whatever as
well as what they told her and any results she is aware of and forwards them
to both the child's doctor and the abuse hot line in writing [a lot of
states can accept faxed abuse allegations now, which helps prevent some of
the loss of information because it is written down]. By forwarding it to
the doc she does two things: puts another mandatory reporter on notice of
the specifics, and, two, inserts the information into the child's medical
record. That medical record usually follows the child from doc to doc, even
when families move cross country. The child is too young to be able to
insert it into school records, which also can do that. Eventually, someone
is going to read it and get it, iykwim. I hope that it isn't too late to
help the child.

aula

Old March 29th 07, 03:23 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Stephanie" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
link.net...

"Stephanie" wrote in message
I am concerned about a child in my care at my family daycare. Normally it
would be up to Mom to pursue this with her ped. She is not going to do
this. I don't know why. I won't go on about my feelings about this Mom. I
cant tell if her actions are deliberately trying to hide something or if
she is the height of lazy. Suffice it to say this is not the first
unaddressed issue.

The first question that comes to mind is: "Why is this kid in your
daycare?"

Let me actually answer this as I see it. I am not the ideal care provider
for this child. I do not have the education or experience. Unfortunately
for this child, I appear to be way better than what he has had up until
this point. He has gone, in one short year, from being completely
convinced he could not use the toilet, to self toiletting. He has gone
from unwilling and/or unable to utter a word to speaking, albeit not very
well for a 5yo. He has gone from looking scared all the time to being able
to play, handle small conflicts with peers, share with his peers, express
his feelings. He has gone from beleiving that he cannot learn to *trying*
to learn new words, dressing himself, learn letters, colors and shapes.
All of these things were very difficult. He went from feeling a pariah to
feeling part of the group. While his learning disabilities are not
addressed, and there are many things I cannot give him, I do believe he is
doing better here than he has ever done anywhere else. And the *only*
consideration to Mom when choosing a provider is convenience for her. She
chose me because I had openings. Period.

It is a stress on me, though I beleive I am successfully managing the
stress so that it does not affect the rest of the team. I do believe that
there is going to be some upper limit of nonsense I am going to be willing
and able to tolerate. I already have to have the family on a *very*short
leash where payment is concerned, or they would stop paying me altogether.

I agree. It sounds like no one has done anything other than to meet his
immediate physical needs. It sounds like, under the circumstances, it sounds
like your the only one who is going to meet any of his emotional needs until
he goes to Kindergarten.

I had to ask, didn't I?

Jeff

Old March 30th 07, 03:10 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Stephanie" wrote in message
> [...]

So. Little boy, 5yo. Has SOME kind of learning disability. It is as yet
unidentified. Per Mom, ped has never commented on his development (despite
the fact that at age 4 he had not uttered a single word ever). My point to
the backstory is that he is disadvantaged in some way, but I don't know
how. Oh another part of the backstory, he is chronically sleep deprived.
How do I say this without sounding like a total bitch? I guess I don't. I
risk it. He is a virtual wild animal at home. When he wants something he
grunts and whines. Throws himself on the floor. Mom does not put him to
bed really. She just tells him to get in bed where he plays with toys and
watches tv until he collapses, often around 11:00 or 12:00. Then up to be
to my house for 7:00. If I have him nap here, he is up even later at home.

So. Every so often he will have a spell of vomitting. About once a week,
at snack time he will look green and even more tired than usual. Then he
will get sick one to three times and fall asleep, regardless of the chaos
around him.

To me that sounds like some kind of neurological problem. Some people vomit
before migraines or seizure activity (especially since he sleeps
afterwards), lots of variables but it doesn't sound like a stomach thing at
all.

The serious language delay, the sleep problem (typical 5yo's couldn't stay
up that late if they tried), unexplained vomiting etc. If his ped is not
worried about all this in a 5yo - well my thought is she doesn't tell the
doc, she lies to you about what the doc says, or she lied and doesn't even
have a doc. If the child has some kind of disability he may act like that
with the best parents and if this parent is iffy, that *is* sad/frustrating.

Denial can be a very powerful thing. You might check your state to see if
they have any kind od agency or organization that hooks up parents. I might
be able to find that information for you rather quickly if you care to tell
me what state you are in.

Aula has good thoughts on how to report it. Keep at it. It will be such a
plus for this family when he starts school. Our schools have a child find
program and they are required to find kids that need services and make
contact. I thought that was federal. You could call the school and see.

Will you update us from time to time? I'm really impressed that you
continue to care for this little guy.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old March 30th 07, 03:12 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Mar 28, 6:10 am, "Stephanie" wrote:

Can shear exhaustion cause vomitting? I plan on calling my ped, but I want
to wait until afternoon when they are done with the morning rush.

From my experience, yes. My daughter has displayed this though her

exhaustion is no where near what you are describing for this boy. Once
she was allowed to stay up 2-3 hours past her bedtime by some
overindulgent grandparents who were babysitting her. The next
afternoon, she complained of nausea for an hour or two, then asked to
eat. She ate, threw up once, and fell asleep. Absolutely fine after
that.

She also has a tendancy toward motion sickness, which is exasperated
by fatigue. If she's overtired or jetlagged, she'll barf from riding
in the car down a straight freeway.

-Jan