why did you choose formula?

Old January 8th 06, 07:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default why did you choose formula?

I'm a breastfeeding mom and have always assumed that I would be. So it
comes as a surprise to me that some people choose formula feeding. It
is with the greatest of respect and deference that I ask, why did you
choose formula over breast?

I have friends and acquaintances who are bottlefeeding because they
tried to bf and it didn't work out for them.
* One (full-term) baby had an extremely poor latch and even had trouble
sucking from a bottle. Mom heroically pumped for over a month, so baby
was fed EBM.
* One mom has a history of PPD and the medication that works for her is
bad for the baby, so she can't nurse.
* Another mom has a history of PPD and PSTD, and gets panic attacks
when bf, so she's not trying this time around.
* A mom had a complicated delivery and wasn't able to nurse in the
early days. After that, they were never able to get the baby on the
breast or into EBM (he preferred formula).

So I understand these medical and practical reasons. But what about
women who decided from the start that they would formula-feed? What
were the reasons behind your decisions?

Thanks for feeding my curiousity.
Susan and Lentil 10/05

Old January 9th 06, 05:04 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Benevolent Prof" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well, I found a middle ground. I hate breast feeding. That might sound
like heresy, but I just don't like it, didn't like it with my first daughter
either. When I gave up on breastfeeding with my first daughter, we went to
formula and she got really sick. I ended up having to buy specialty formula
(Nutramigen) which is quite costly. This time around I decided to pump and
bottle feed. Fortunately for me, my supply is abundant, and pumping works
well for me. I like being able to hand her off to someone else for a break
and taking turns with feedings in the night with my husband. I just dislike
having my boobs hanging out all the time and feeling the baby is exclusively
dependant on me for feedings.

Betsy

Old January 10th 06, 08:53 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Benevolent Prof wrote:
I'm a breastfeeding mom and have always assumed that I would be. So it
comes as a surprise to me that some people choose formula feeding. It
is with the greatest of respect and deference that I ask, why did you
choose formula over breast?

I don't actually know anybody nowadays who chose formula over breast,
but I know people who did in the past. My sister for her now 17 year
old son chose to formula feed him. She had breast fed her first
daughter, but only for 12 weeks or so (which was considered very good
back then). She said she thought her first seemed quite hungry and her
2nd was very large, so she decided that she would just forego the bf
the 2nd time because she thought she wouldn't have enough milk for him.

My mother decided to not bf her 1st 2 kids (who are now late 40s
because her first husband didn't want her to.

KC

Old January 10th 06, 04:04 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I will not be answering your questions as directly as I should, in the sense
that I breastfed DD for 8 months and I intend to breastfeed the new baby,
for at least 3 months. But there you have it : for at least 3 months.

Like Betsy, I hate breastfeeding. I don't like the feeling of a baby
suckling me, I don't like all the rashes close contact for a long period
gives me, I don't like milk spurting out of me unwanted, I don't like that
the baby is so dependent on me that I can't even go out for a walk at times,
I don't like dealing with mastitis (and I am very prone to those), I don't
like waking up in a soaked bed... In short, I would forego breastfeeding
altogether with my second one if only I didn't know that the best food for
my baby is breastmilk. Oh, and don't talk to be about pumping, that is even
more loathsome to me than breastfeeding - it makes feel just too close to a
cow for comfort.

All in all, I don't want to breastfeed my second baby. I will, in fairness
to the baby, and also to give him or her the best health possible. But I
will not be as stubborn as I was with my first. If after two weeks I feel as
disgusted as with DD, if I have skin rashes again, if I get mastitis like
hell just as before, I will switch to the formula and bottle without any
remorse or regret. I was not breatfed, and my health is as good as any.

If there was ever a formula that would guarantee me the same nutritive
benefits as breatsmilk, then I would never breastfeed again.

--

Isabelle
Mom to Mlle C

Old January 10th 06, 06:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

[...]

I adopted. I did attempt to induce lactation and breastfeed using an SNS
for Taylor, and did it for 4 days, then stopped, as it was too much work and
I wanted to enjoy the daughter that it took 5 years and 9 losses to finally
get. I never bothered trying to breastfeed with Addie, also adopted.

I would say that the majority of reasons why people chose to adopt would
fall under the practical categories if not a valid medical reason.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old January 12th 06, 12:19 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Zaz wrote:
Like Betsy, I hate breastfeeding. I don't like the feeling of a baby
suckling me, I don't like all the rashes close contact for a long period
gives me, I don't like milk spurting out of me unwanted, I don't like that
the baby is so dependent on me that I can't even go out for a walk at times,
I don't like dealing with mastitis (and I am very prone to those), I don't
like waking up in a soaked bed... In short, I would forego breastfeeding
altogether with my second one if only I didn't know that the best food for
my baby is breastmilk. Oh, and don't talk to be about pumping, that is even
more loathsome to me than breastfeeding - it makes feel just too close to a
cow for comfort.

I hadn't thought of it this way before. Your answer seems perfectly
reasonable to me. I'm not saying that I find breastfeeding blissful or
easy, but I'm less irritated by these as you. Everybody is different,
which was the point of my original question. Thanks for your answer.

Susan and Lentil 10/05