Tall women are bottlefeeders

Old October 19th 05, 03:38 PM
Nikki

Default Tall women are bottlefeeders

Hillary Israeli wrote:

I'm 177.8 cm tall. I have three kids. I self-identify as not
particularly maternal, but I'm a very good mother for my own kids! I
have a lot of energy and ambition and a strong dedication to my
profession... yet, I have chosen to work only a few hours a week
while my children are small, and I engage in typically "maternal"
behaviors such as breastfeeding, babywearing, changing diapers,
driving to school, going on field trips, and heading up PTO meetings
on a regular basis.

I know the plural of anecdote is not data, but, I'm feeling sort of
affronted!

It is not always easy being tall!

I'm with Banty around the 183cm mark. Working on the third kid, breastfed
the first two and will the third and do think of myself as maternal.

It took me a bit to respond because I didn't like the article, lol. I guess
I'll just take it to suggest that I have the best of both worlds shrug.
--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old October 19th 05, 05:21 PM
Banty

In article , Nikki says...

Hillary Israeli wrote:

[...]

What do you do with all that extra testosterone? Watch WWF on the sly?

Banty

Old October 19th 05, 07:42 PM
Circe

Hillary Israeli wrote:
I'm 177.8 cm tall. I have three kids. I self-identify as not particularly
maternal, but I'm a very good mother for my own kids! I have a lot of
energy and ambition and a strong dedication to my profession... yet, I
have chosen to work only a few hours a week while my children are small,
and I engage in typically "maternal" behaviors such as breastfeeding,
babywearing, changing diapers, driving to school, going on field trips,
and heading up PTO meetings on a regular basis.

I know the plural of anecdote is not data, but, I'm feeling sort of
affronted!

I had to go back and read the original post to see what it was actually
all about. Seems like I'm at the low end of the range that would be
considered "tall" (169 cm).

The thing *I* find interesting about it is that I do think I have many
personality traits and interests that would generally be more commonly
associated with men than with women. I'm not hypermasculine or
anything, and like dressing in feminine-looking clothes and so forth.
Still, my husband is appreciative of the fact that I often
instinctively "get" the male POV.

That said, I think of myself as quite maternal in that I very much
enjoy(ed) pregnancy, giving birth, breastfeeding, and all the other
nurturing aspects of being a mother. And my husband seems to enjoy the
nurturing aspects of being a FATHER just as much as I enjoy the
nurturing aspects of being a mother.

IOW, I'm just not sure I see how testosterone makes women less likely
to be interested in parenthood, since I don't see any indication that
very masculine men are less interested in parenthood than their less
masculine counterparts. If you see what I mean. So I'm not really
buying the testosterone connection, frankly. It might BE there, but the
idea that it has any measurable effect on women's likelihood to become
mothers seems less believable to me than that it IS more to do with a
lack of partners for tall women.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old October 19th 05, 08:50 PM
emilymr

Waving up at you all from (umm, almost) 150 cm...

The shrimp
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old October 19th 05, 09:15 PM
Banty

In article .com, Circe
says...

Hillary Israeli wrote:
[...]

Yep.

First of all, the article didn't address bottle vs. breast at all!

Second, I'd have to see the original article, and wait for some reproduction of
these results regarding taller women having more testosterone.

If taller women have fewer children, I could see it being because it's harder
for taller women to find partners. Also, since there is also data that taller
*men* find easier career success, I'd wager that's at least as true for women
(since the height may also compensate for feminine stereotypes), so tall women
may emphasize career more as they find more success.

Banty (::scratch:: belch)

Old October 19th 05, 11:40 PM
Circe

Banty wrote:
In article .com, Circe
says...
[...]

Yeah, that was a pretty funny title for the thread!

Second, I'd have to see the original article, and wait for some reproduction of
these results regarding taller women having more testosterone.

If taller women have fewer children, I could see it being because it's harder
for taller women to find partners. Also, since there is also data that taller
*men* find easier career success, I'd wager that's at least as true for women
(since the height may also compensate for feminine stereotypes), so tall women
may emphasize career more as they find more success.

Definitely. Another factor might also be that as women become more
successful in their careers, it becomes even HARDER for them to find
mates. So if being tall increases your chances of success in your
career, and being either successful in your career OR tall makes it
harder to find a mate, imagine how much harder it is for women who are
BOTH successful AND tall!
--
Be well, Barbara

Old October 19th 05, 11:47 PM
agent99

Circe wrote:
Banty wrote:
In article .com, Circe
says...
[...]

Exactly - my best friend is 6 feet tall (so, 180 cms?), and quite
successful in her career. She is great with children and would love to
have some, but she hasn't found the right guy yet. I think it's a lot
easier for shorter women to find mates, personally. Unless a very tall
woman is fashion model gorgeous, she's less likely to find a mate
simply because men still seem to prefer women who are shorter than they
are. I hope she does find someone worthy, though - she's a lovely
person.

99

Old October 20th 05, 01:06 AM
Banty

In article . com, Circe says...

Banty wrote:
In article .com, Circe
says...
[...]

Yeah I'm 6 foot tall with an engineering PhD and the guys just all scatter and
hide under chairs when I walk into the room!

Banty (well, sometimes it feels like it..)

Old October 20th 05, 02:19 PM
Nikki

Banty wrote:

What do you do with all that extra testosterone? Watch WWF on the
sly?

LOL - I hate sports. Another oddity.

I'll have to give that one some thought. ;-)

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old October 20th 05, 06:26 PM
Circe

"Banty" wrote in message
In article . com, Circe
says...
Banty wrote:
In article .com,
Circe
says...
That said, I think of myself as quite maternal in that I very much
enjoy(ed) pregnancy, giving birth, breastfeeding, and all the other
nurturing aspects of being a mother. And my husband seems to enjoy the
nurturing aspects of being a FATHER just as much as I enjoy the
nurturing aspects of being a mother.

IOW, I'm just not sure I see how testosterone makes women less likely
to be interested in parenthood, since I don't see any indication that
very masculine men are less interested in parenthood than their less
masculine counterparts. If you see what I mean. So I'm not really
buying the testosterone connection, frankly. It might BE there, but the
idea that it has any measurable effect on women's likelihood to become
mothers seems less believable to me than that it IS more to do with a
lack of partners for tall women.

Yep.

snip

[...]

LOL! I think I was probably lucky to have found my guy before I finished
grad school (although I never actually got as far as the PhD). I'm not
anywhere NEAR as tall as you are (I'm just a bit under 5'7"), and I had a
number of steady boyfriends before I met my husband, but there were
certainly an awful lot of guys who passed me over when they realized I was
probably smarter than they were.

As an aside, my husband (bless him) thinks I have a higher IQ than he does
(though I think we're probably pretty darned close to equal), but it's
apparently never bothered him to believe that. He's just very secure about
his own abilities and doesn't see our relationship as a competition on any
level, let alone an intellectual one.

Still, I can see how a smart, successful and exceptionally tall woman would
have a VERY hard time finding a suitable, permanent partner. Our culture
doesn't make it easy for men to accept a woman as a partner who is (or might
be perceived as) his superior in any way. Some men are able to, of course,
but they probably aren't in large supply!
--
Be well, Barbara