Baby Food Question

Old August 11th 03, 11:45 AM
Scott and Michelle

Default Baby Food Question

I made and am still making my own bub food. Adele started solids at 7
months and Samuel, because he was such a guts, at 3 1/2 months. It really
depends on the baby. I discussed this with the child health nurse and she
said to start slowly but to start to introduce. He is now 10 months and 11
kg.

I use lean minced veal, chicken and mince. First I boil it to get any fat
out of it (sometimes lean does not mean lean). It is then drained and I add
all types of diced vegetables. Cook for 15 minutes then add either rice or
macaroni. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until rice/macaroni is nearly
cooked. I let it cool and then freeze it in 200g bags. I used to mash it
but now he eats it as it comes.

Michelle
Adele 24/10/2000
Samuel 17/10/2002

Old August 11th 03, 04:52 PM

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:24:55 -0600, "Ali's Daddie"
wrote:

I am posting this to 3 different NG's, but not cross posting.

Alegra is not ready for solids yet. In fact, the pediatrician said that she
will discuss with us the introduction of solids at our next visit (september
30th). 4 month visit.

What I am wanting to know is how many of you make your own baby food?

What kind of processor (blender etc) do you use?

And lastly, where do you get the recipes?

We are very seriously considering making Ali's food ourselves so that we can
buy only organic veggies and fruit etc..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-D

thanx!

We did this with a small plastic easy-to-wash food grinder. We cooked
our own vegetables and meats, then used small amounts of soy formula
to grind/puree the foods for our daughter. The food grinder was under
$20 and she went from soy formula to real food. When she got teeth, we
began by grinding it more coarsely, then transitioned to cut up food.

Old August 12th 03, 03:54 AM
Naomi Pardue

I dont think I ever used more
than 2-3 jars of babyfood a day.(Cereal always made up part of her solid's
intake, and by the time she was eating much more than a jar at a meal, she

was
eating at least some table foods.)

I don't count cereal in the jars of baby food count. I don't know
whether anyone else does or not.

Right. I don't think anyone does. And my point was that by the time Shaina
was eating much more than the equivilent of a jar of babyfood at a meal, she
was already eating table foods, so we would have never used more than 2-3 jars
a day. (So she might have had, say, cereal and half a jar of babyfruit at
breakfast [with the rest of the jar the next day with more cereal], a jar of
veggies and some finger foods at lunch, and maybe a meat-veggie 'dinner' [not
the kind with all the fillers], and more finger foods at supper.)

Actually I don't know why baby food cereals are such a good thing to
use and why not just regular cereal.

Well, if you are talking about hot cereals, in our house we don't really eat
oatmeal or cream of wheat. The only hot cereal we eat, Wheatena, is pretty
coarse for little babies. She did eat cheerios and things, of course.
(Baby cereal was a big deal when it was introduced, not only because it
contained iron, but because it could be prepared in just a few moments -- more
traditional cereals available at the time had to be cooked for hours for
babies.)

The meat dishes were sort of disgusting,

Shaina actually was on baby meat for a long time after she was on table food
for almost everything else. She didn't seem to like the texture of real meat
until she was a toddler.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old August 12th 03, 02:14 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Ali's Daddie wrote:

*What I am wanting to know is how many of you make your own baby food?

I made almost all of it for my son, and don't really make any special food
now for my daughter

*
*What kind of processor (blender etc) do you use?

I used a microwave and a fork, occasionally a hand-blender type thing.

*And lastly, where do you get the recipes?

Recipes? Um. Steam/boil item, mash item with fork or handblender. Done.

*We are very seriously considering making Ali's food ourselves so that we can
*buy only organic veggies and fruit etc..

How sweet of you to make the effort. It was fun doing for Jacob. Naomi
pretty much gets Gerber fruit purees and tiny smushed pieces of whatever
we're eating