On the right track?

Old October 28th 06, 05:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default On the right track?

DD2 is 3 days old...
So far, I think we've been doing good with everything. She's a 100% bf
baby, and I plan to keep it that way - no bottles of expressed milk OR
formula. Might look at expressing in the future, but not any time soon...

I'm wondering if I'm on the right track so far - DS and I had an awesome
bfing experience, DD1 and I didn't. (Some might remember these issues, I
dunno...)

Anyways, so far, DD2 has been doing pretty good. She has a fantastic latch
and sucks great. No problems at all there, I think. She also hasn't left
me sore yet, and I don't think my milk has quite come in just yet. I do get
the tingling feeling when she nurses, though!

So far I've been feeding her on demand only. Since I had some definite
issues with supply with DD1, I've been trying to offer her a breast each and
every time she wakes or cries or just wants to suck. She really likes to
suck!
Also, when I do feed her, she feeds for about 20 minutes and then by that
time, she's normally fast asleep (I do try and wake her or keep her sucking
by pulling away slightly or rubbing her cheek a bit) then I try and get a
burp and then put her back on the same side she was feeding off of, rather
than switch sides (like I know I did with DS)

I had so many problems with DD1 last year and I *really* do not want to make
the same mistakes or have the same problems... I think with DD1, though, the
problem was that she slept so well at night - slept 6-7 hours right through
the night since the day we came home, and by 3 months was sleeping a good 12
hours all night long without waking, so I don't think we had the chance to
establish anything. DD2, OTOH, wakes up at night. I honestly don't know
how often, as I normally kind of roll over at night, pull her out of her
basinette, feed her and roll over and put her back to sleep in her bed... I
would say she gets up in fairly even intervals at night, and about 2-3 times
between about 11pm and 7am.

Am I on the right track so far? I'm just so scared of having similar
problems this time that I did with DD1... She had started to lose weight
around 4ish months, IIRC, and I tried everything possible - lactation
consultants, bfing clinics, a variety of manual expression, manual and
electric pumps, even the mega expensive Medela Symphony one, pills, diet
changes, you name it. I ended up having to put her on a bottle and, for
some odd reason, I had a very hard time dealing with that whole situation.

With DS, everything seemed to go so well with very little effort, for lack
of a better word... It's been some time, but I almost feel like it's
starting out with DD2 the same way it did with DS.

Anyways, any suggestions or comments?

Old October 28th 06, 07:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

it sounds as if you are doing fine! it's difficult to know why things didn't
go so well last time because you were doing the right things, feeding on
demand and everything, but don't borrow trouble, sounds like this one is
doing really well

Anne

Old October 31st 06, 03:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
it sounds as if you are doing fine! it's difficult to know why things
didn't go so well last time because you were doing the right things,
feeding on demand and everything, but don't borrow trouble, sounds like
this one is doing really well

Anne

Yes, so far, I think all is going well!
I'm going to weigh her tomorrow at the clinic, although she might not be
back up to birth weight just yet, or she might be!

Old November 6th 06, 03:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Catherine Woodgold

You may want to make sure the positioning is really good.
Her mouth should be open as wide as possible and
the nipple should be as deep as possible into her mouth.
When nursing your second baby, you're accustomed to
nursing an older baby; but with a newborn, their mouth
is smaller so the positioning has to be really perfect.
Also, your nipple has probably grown during the last
bf experience, so it's larger than last time you were
bf a newborn, so again it's challenging with the newborn's
small mouth and the positioning has to be just right.

I'm not sure if "tingly feeling" is exactly what
you ought to be feeling. Maybe that's what you would
feel if the nipple is not deep enough into her mouth,
so that she is stimulating the surface skin of your breast
and her jaws are not stimulating the deeper breast
tissue. Sorry if I'm getting you worried about nothing.
Pull her close to you and make sure her mouth is open
very very wide.

You can listen for the sound of her swallowing.
At the beginning of a feeding, it's a pattern like
suck-suck-suck-suck as she stimulates the breast.
But then it should change to a pattern like
suck-swallow-suck-swallow or suck-suck-swallow-suck-suck-swallow
or even swallow-swallow-swallow
etc. There are subtle differences between the suck
motion and the swallow motion. If you watch her
throat you should see it move a lot more during
the swallow motion. If you listen very carefully you
should hear a tiny click sound during the swallow,
like the sound when you or another adult swallows something.

If it's all suck-suck-suck motions, it means that the
breast is not stimulated properly, she's getting some
milk but mostly foremilk and it's smaller amounts,
and you need to get her mouth open wider and pull her
in closer to you so her jaw can press onto deeper
breast tissue (but with the nose
still free to breathe). If there are at least several swallow
motions per feeding it means things are going well.

You might want to check with a lactation consultant or
LLL leader to see if they think the baby's positioning
is good. You might want to get more than one opinion.
Or maybe just don't worry! Maybe everything's just fine.