Potty Training Issues at 5

Old January 18th 06, 10:44 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Default Potty Training Issues at 5

So, now on to my question. Has anyone had (or currently have) any experience
with potty training issues at 5? My son still has accidents all the time. I
have heard this can sometimes happen with boys. I wasn't too worried until
the recent development of using the floor as a bathroom. I am trying to be
very patient with him, but constantly having to clean the carpet is wearing
thin. He doesn't do this anywhere except at home. I don't know of anything
going on here that is a problem and I am clueless as to where to start. Any
help/advice would be appreciated. Feel free to ask questions since I am sure
I am missing information here.

Thanks

Tammy

Old January 18th 06, 11:05 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents

"Tammy" wrote in message t...
So, now on to my question. Has anyone had (or currently have) any experience
with potty training issues at 5? My son still has accidents all the time. I
have heard this can sometimes happen with boys. I wasn't too worried until
the recent development of using the floor as a bathroom. I am trying to be
very patient with him, but constantly having to clean the carpet is wearing
thin. He doesn't do this anywhere except at home. I don't know of anything
going on here that is a problem and I am clueless as to where to start. Any
help/advice would be appreciated. Feel free to ask questions since I am sure
I am missing information here.

Have boy, had to mop a lot - one of the things that happens is they get so caught up in what they doing that they don't
pay attention to the obvious signs that they have to go..... until it's too late.

For a while, I monitored, and about every half hour was a reminder to go - and it didn't take too long to rectify the
problem.

Of course, you'll want to take him to a doctor, and rule out any organic causes, as well.

In a real problem, there are a couple of meds that are safe for kids to help the overactive bladder, as well

And nice to see you back :-)

Thanks

Tammy

Old January 20th 06, 02:53 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Your son may be expressing his independence to see how fast you will
jump. He may also be too busy to go to the potty, or there could be a
medical issue. No matter why it is happening, get him to help you
clean up the accident. Do not scold him or yell at him. Be patient,
but make sure he helps you clean. Reassure him that he will soon be
able to make it to the potty, and he and you will be happy and will
have more time to play because you will not be cleaning the floor.
Remember to stay calm and be patient.
Check out this site. www.pottytrainingsite.com

Old January 20th 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents

Thank you Moon Shyne, Kate and Ms. Janice,

I forgot to mention that it is bowel movements that he is having a problem
with. I don't need the mop, rather my parent's will not be getting thier
carpet cleaner back for a while. ;-)

I appreciate all your suggestions and I am already checking out the site.
There is nothing physically wrong with him, so it is either he is not
getting enough from me, or there is something else. He will actually pull
down his pants in the living room to go to the bathroom. We had a long talk
the last time this happened and I let him know that I would rather he got
poop in his underwear than on the floor. And that it would be better to go
in the toilet, but I understood if he had an accident.

He may be exerting a little independence since he knows all he has to do is
tell me if he has a problem, but he doesn't want to tell me until well after
it is over and the mess is made. The other thing I hit on was when he was
about 2/3 his daycare provider (ex) would yell at another little boy for
soiling his pants. I wonder if this has carried over to my son in any way.
It has been a couple of years, but he has a good memory.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Tammy

t...

CTTS: Potty Training Tori M. General 9 February 5th 05 10:07 PM
3yo avoiding potty training Robyn Kozierok General (moderated) 31 April 20th 04 04:41 AM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks General 40 November 21st 03 10:05 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks Pregnancy 41 November 21st 03 10:05 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks Breastfeeding 49 November 21st 03 07:43 PM