From "Machine a caca" to Constipation

Old November 16th 06, 02:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default From "Machine a caca" to Constipation

That was DH's name for DD until this week.... What's the range for how
long it's ok for an infant to go without a bowel movement? I know it's
pretty normal but can't recall for how long or what I should do if it
persists.

4.5 month old DD's poops until Monday were normal as can be. In fact, I
was wondering when she'd start pooping less. But now it's been at least
36 hrs since she's had a bowel movement (maybe more, DH can't remember
as he was changing her diaper Tuesday). I wouldn't worry except it
clearly bothers her (and me for lack of sleep). She was up all night
grunting and straining. She had a lot of gas - but it was different
from normal (different sounding, don't ask me to explain, just trust
me). Poor kid was not happy. She also ate a lot less than normal
yesterday - which may explain no poop, not sure which is the chicken or
the egg here.

If *I* take in a natural laxative - eg prunes - will that help her?
FWIW, probably TMI, but since I've been BF'ing, I've bordered more on
having diarhea than constipation until the last week or so. I haven't
changed anything in my diet though.

Old November 16th 06, 09:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --
The natural laxative work because they're full of both fiber and water.
Lots of nursing will let the water pass into your baby's system, but the
fiber won't. (And a good thing, too!)

It's probably developmental. When it finally does come out it's likely
to be explosive and a huge mess. Carry a towell, LOTS of wipes and a
complete change of clothing for your baby; you'll need it. Oh, and a
sealable plastic bag for the yucky clothes and towel ...

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old November 17th 06, 05:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi --
The natural laxative work because they're full of both fiber and water.
Lots of nursing will let the water pass into your baby's system, but the
fiber won't. (And a good thing, too!)

It's probably developmental. When it finally does come out it's likely
to be explosive and a huge mess. Carry a towell, LOTS of wipes and a
complete change of clothing for your baby; you'll need it. Oh, and a
sealable plastic bag for the yucky clothes and towel ...

And a clean shirt for you too.

Jess

Old November 17th 06, 02:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Beth Kevles wrote:
Hi --
The natural laxative work because they're full of both fiber and water.
Lots of nursing will let the water pass into your baby's system, but the
fiber won't. (And a good thing, too!)

It's probably developmental. When it finally does come out it's likely
to be explosive and a huge mess. Carry a towell, LOTS of wipes and a
complete change of clothing for your baby; you'll need it. Oh, and a
sealable plastic bag for the yucky clothes and towel ...

Well, it only took 48 hrs then she blew ;-). Lucky for me it was the
babysitter who had to deal with it.....

She's all back to normal now, except it seems she's taught the 7 month
old at daycare how to blow out his diapers too.

Old November 17th 06, 11:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

cjra wrote:
That was DH's name for DD until this week.... What's the range for how
long it's ok for an infant to go without a bowel movement? I know it's
pretty normal but can't recall for how long or what I should do if it
persists.

Goodness, it can be as much as a week or longer, and babies do
sometimes change quite suddenly from the frequent pooping to the much
less frequent. I wouldn't worry unless she seems uncomfortable. (It
would be different for a newborn.)

--Helen

Constipation Christy General 25 May 22nd 06 09:19 AM
18 month old having constipation tamarind Pregnancy 7 December 3rd 04 04:58 AM
"straining" while pregnant (sorry for topic) DL Pregnancy 16 July 8th 04 01:52 AM
Constipation and rash CY Breastfeeding 2 October 28th 03 05:43 PM
constipation during weaning Clisby Williams Breastfeeding 8 August 20th 03 06:51 PM