She's soooo constipated!

Old June 28th 07, 04:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Pologirl

Default Update She's soooo constipated!

Cjra wrote:
Tonight after dinner, she pooped! Ok, it wasn't as soft as
I'd have liked, but it wasn't black and it wasn't hard pellets.

Yay! I am glad you talked to your pediatrician. And so glad that her
difficulties appear to have passed. Yes, some foods and drugs can
produce black stools, but your little girl probably isn't getting any
of those. She may have had an upper GI bleed, now resolved. Or there
was no bleed. But if you see that nasty black again, please follow up
with your ped!

For Monkey Boy (3yo), constipation is linked to insufficient fluid
intake. A high fiber diet can make constipation worse, if fluid
intake is not sufficient.

Old June 28th 07, 12:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Jun 27, 9:50 pm, Chris wrote:
On Jun 27, 9:44?pm, cjra wrote:

This morning I talked to the pedi in my office, and she wasn't too
concerned but said to push the water and watch her for a few days.
Also to add some pedialyte to make sure we didn't overdo it with
water. (once I explained we'd tried all the usual foods and juices).
She wasn't too worried about the black stool just yet.

After talking some more, she said it couldn't hurt to call our regular
pedi's office, so I did. Initially they said just to use a
suppository. But after discussing the black stool more, suggested we
come in. The NP recommended we bring in a stool sample, checked her
out and said she was otherwise fine although she could feel the stool
inside her... she recommened the suppository and upping the bran, as
well as water (we always give water, but it has been hot lately and
she is sweating more). I joked that since we decided to come into the
doc's office, today she'd suddenly start pooping well.

Guess what? Tonight after dinner, she pooped! Ok, it wasn't as soft as
I'd have liked, but it wasn't black and it wasn't hard pellets. We'll
still bring in a sample and push the fiber laden foods, and see how
the next few days go.

On Jun 25, 9:23 pm, cjra wrote:

Poor DD. I was about to call the doctor as she wasn't eating solids
much (tho nursing fine), but this weekend she finally started eating
more again.

In the past I've given her prunes or prune juice when she appears to
be a bit stopped up, but it's not been often. However,the past 2 weeks
have been awful for her. Her sleep (never great but getting better)
went down the tubes, she was cranky and miserable all the time. She is
cutting 6 teeth as well, so we chalked it up to that. Then I noticed
she hadn't been pooping. And when she does, it's small hard pellets.
Her abdomen is also really hard and she's clearly in pain. I tried
giving her prunes or prune juice and she just refuses to it, she also
now refuses all other juice although she'll take water. I tried
giving her prunes again tonight and she wouldn't eat them. I did
manage to sneak some prune juice into her peas.

I thought it was the cereal I'd been giving her - I thought it was
multigrain but maybe it was rice, we bought it in Switzerland and had
thrown away the box so I couldn't check. Anyway, I tossed that out on
Thursday.
Friday she pooped again and we thought all was better, but then she
didn't poop at all Saturday, and when she finally did today, it was
small, hard and very very black, almost like charcoal had been rubbed
on her bum (powdery like). Also very very stinky - a different kind of
stink, not usual poop smell.

I put some crushed bran in her dinner and she pooped 2x more last
night, but it was the same - black, hard, smelly, painful. It's more
than she's pooped all week though. Today she pooped once, again small,
hard pellets.

Her diet consists of:
b'fast : multigrain cereal (Earth's Best) with BM and a fruit
lunch: 2-3 veg cubes
snack: yoghurt + 1-2 fruit cubes
dinner: 2-3 veg cubes + yoghurt+fruit
BM throughout the day and night
Cup with water offered at every meal (altho now she won't take it from
the sippy, it has to be directly from the cup which means she takes a
bit less)

She has teething bisquits (barley or wheat) occasionally, but hasn't
been too interested lately.

Fruits a papaya, mangoes, grapes, peaches, blueberries, cherries,
sometimes pears altho she doesn't like them. No bananas (doesn't like
those either)

Veg a beets, carrots, spinach, kale, cauliflower, peas, broccoli,
sweet potato, zucchini, acorn and butternut squashes and another
assortment of 'summer squash'.

She has yoghurt at least 2x/day (she eats everything better with the
yoghurt) - whole milk plain, I'd guess about 1-2 tablespoons each
time.

So what could be causing it? I've read excessive whole milk is a
problem, so worried about the yoghurt, but also read that a yoghurt
smoothie was a good treatment for constipation. I'll put some flax
seed in her cereal tomorrow (just read on Dr Sears that it's good for
constipation). What else can I do as she refuses all juice and tho she
took some prunes yesterday, it didn't appear to do much? Now she's
eating well, but she's still not pooping much.- Hide quoted text -

My daughter has always pretty much consistently had harder formed
balled stools. I sprinkle a fiber bran I buy from the grocery store
onto everything we eat.

I've been adding ground up bran to her food for the past week.

.. I just
got my hair done today and the hairdresser was talking about her 5-y/o
getting so bound up they did some x-rays on her. They had put her on
two different drugs, an antibiotic for what they first thought was
vaginosis and then MiraLax, a stool softener. Her tummy got really
upset from that combination and it didn't seem to help anything for
her either.

ouch, poor kid!!

Old June 28th 07, 12:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Jun 27, 10:50 pm, Pologirl wrote:
Cjra wrote:
Tonight after dinner, she pooped! Ok, it wasn't as soft as
I'd have liked, but it wasn't black and it wasn't hard pellets.

Yay! I am glad you talked to your pediatrician. And so glad that her
difficulties appear to have passed. Yes, some foods and drugs can
produce black stools, but your little girl probably isn't getting any
of those. She may have had an upper GI bleed, now resolved. Or there
was no bleed. But if you see that nasty black again, please follow up
with your ped!

For Monkey Boy (3yo), constipation is linked to insufficient fluid
intake. A high fiber diet can make constipation worse, if fluid
intake is not sufficient.

I suspect this might be it. Though I usually give her lots of water -
I give it to her with every meal and always have a sippy cup with
water around as it's been very hot these days, due to the teething
she's not really liked the sippy cup and it took about a week for me
to notice she wasn't drinking from it much. Now I just give her the
cup straight, which is helping,

Old June 28th 07, 03:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

Cjra wrote:
[...]

I noticed with all 3 of my kids that they literally used a sippy cup
to take sips and walk away from the cup. I had better luck getting
them to drink water when I diluted white grape juice like 3 parts
water to 1 part juice in the sippy cups. I had better luck with water
in baby bottles. My 1-year-old calls his water juice, even though it
is only water. lol. I nursed/offered formula (they were fed
differently) first and then offered their juice/water combo or water
bottle with the solids they were eating.

Constipated 5 week old [email protected] Pregnancy 30 February 18th 05 11:08 PM
I'm soooo broody! anyone else? Andrea Breastfeeding 22 February 29th 04 09:34 AM
soooo very very cute! Leanne Pregnancy 1 January 28th 04 04:03 PM
See how I pay for my medicine, It is soooo expensive Userw8682 Kids Health 0 December 15th 03 06:51 AM
Soooo cute Kereru Breastfeeding 0 July 29th 03 01:56 AM