Labor Takes Longer For Overweight And Obese Women, Study Finds

Old November 6th 04, 11:22 AM
Mum of Two

Default Labor Takes Longer For Overweight And Obese Women, Study Finds

I have a BMI of 28. I'll be sure not to lose any weight before having any
more children, because with my three hour labours I might end up giving
birth in a car! Thanks for the tip.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

"Guy Necologist" wrote in message
Source: NIH/National Institute Of Child Health And Human Development Of
The
National Institutes Of Health
Date: 2004-11-05

Labor Takes Longer For Overweight And Obese Women, Study Finds
Pregnant women who are overweight or obese progress through labor more
slowly than do normal weight women, according to a study by researchers at
the University of North Carolina and the National Institute of Child

Old November 6th 04, 07:13 PM
JennP

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
I have a BMI of 28. I'll be sure not to lose any weight before having any
more children, because with my three hour labours I might end up giving
birth in a car! Thanks for the tip.

Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

JennP.

Date: 2004-11-05

Labor Takes Longer For Overweight And Obese Women, Study Finds

Maybe I should be grateful I was overweight with both - the first one took
6 hours, the second took 3 hours, from the first twinge to holding the
product : ) We decided 2 was enough, as we lived an hour away from the
maternity hospital....

Nicky.

Yeah, me too. DS#1 took 5 1/2 hours. Still waiting to see if I'll find out
with DS#2 or it's going to be a c/s (he's breech at 36 weeks - see my 36
week update post if interested). I guess if I weighed less, he would've
squirted right on out!

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Old November 6th 04, 10:26 PM
Mum of Two

"Kazh" wrote in message
Birth 1 - Weighing 140lb - 24 hours
Birth 2 - Weighting 210lb - 9 hours
Birth 3 - Weighing 230lb - 7 hours

I think the rule DOESN'T apply to me !!

It sounds like a load of crap to me, that one factor alone like that is
going to make the difference. I think you have to look at positioning for
labour and delivery, not meaning to stir Todd up, but it seems stupid to put
a large (and possibly unfit) woman on her back where she doesn't have
gravity to help her.
You know, I didn't even think of myself as fat until I read this stupid
guy's post, and worked out I had a BMI of 28. I knew I was carrying a bit of
extra baby-weight, but I didn't know I was borderline obese.

Old November 6th 04, 11:01 PM
Angela S.

For me Birth 1 - Weighing 215 - A grand total of 7 hours and only 20
minutes of pushing

That definately doesn't apply to me either.

Old November 6th 04, 11:10 PM
Donna Metler

"Mum of Two" wrote in message

"Kazh" wrote in message
Birth 1 - Weighing 140lb - 24 hours
Birth 2 - Weighting 210lb - 9 hours
Birth 3 - Weighing 230lb - 7 hours

I think the rule DOESN'T apply to me !!

It sounds like a load of crap to me, that one factor alone like that is
going to make the difference. I think you have to look at positioning for
labour and delivery, not meaning to stir Todd up, but it seems stupid to

put
a large (and possibly unfit) woman on her back where she doesn't have
gravity to help her.
You know, I didn't even think of myself as fat until I read this stupid
guy's post, and worked out I had a BMI of 28. I knew I was carrying a bit

of
extra baby-weight, but I didn't know I was borderline obese.

Also, if a woman is already pretty heavy and relatively inactive, plus
weight gained in pregnancy, this seems that it might correlate to being less
willing and able to get up and move around during labor, which would tend to
prolong labor.

Old November 8th 04, 05:11 AM
Kaybee

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
I have a BMI of 28. I'll be sure not to lose any weight before having

any
more children, because with my three hour labours I might end up giving
birth in a car! Thanks for the tip.

Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

only if I can do it infront of the hospital

Kay
JennP.

Old November 8th 04, 05:25 AM
JennP

"Kaybee" wrote in message

only if I can do it infront of the hospital

Kay

LOL. Are you saying I cheated?

JennP.

Old November 8th 04, 09:30 AM
Jenrose

[...]

This is my one and only concern about weight in pregnancy for me. It is
DEFINITELY contributing to my mobility difficulty, although the pubic
separation pain is probably more the issue. But it's *tiring* to move around
a whole lot right now, and I know that I'm going to have to get to the point
where I can walk without sending my heartrate through the roof.

(My blood pressure is fantastic. My heartrate is not.)

Jenrose