Ah, the joy of BF in Europe

Old September 13th 06, 05:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Ah, the joy of BF in Europe

At least in Switzerland where I am now - I can BF anywhere and no one
even bats an eyelash, in fact I have FIL gazing lovingly saying what a
beautiful natural thing it is and how happy he is to see his new
granddaughter nourished so....

Old September 13th 06, 05:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

cjra skrev:
At least in Switzerland where I am now - I can BF anywhere and no one
even bats an eyelash, in fact I have FIL gazing lovingly saying what a
beautiful natural thing it is and how happy he is to see his new
granddaughter nourished so....

Yup!

And you'd even get less eyelashes in Scandinavia :-) Just smiles.

Tine, Denmark
Old September 13th 06, 08:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

At least in Switzerland where I am now - I can BF anywhere and no one
even bats an eyelash, in fact I have FIL gazing lovingly saying what a
beautiful natural thing it is and how happy he is to see his new
granddaughter nourished so....

is it really that much of a problem in the US? I certainly didn't notice
anything different when we were there a month ago, given we're moving there
in 3 weeks, it would be useful to know what to expect, not that it's going
to make me change any habits!

Anne

Old September 13th 06, 09:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Anne Rogers wrote:
At least in Switzerland where I am now - I can BF anywhere and no one
even bats an eyelash, in fact I have FIL gazing lovingly saying what a
beautiful natural thing it is and how happy he is to see his new
granddaughter nourished so....

is it really that much of a problem in the US? I certainly didn't notice
anything different when we were there a month ago, given we're moving there
in 3 weeks, it would be useful to know what to expect, not that it's going
to make me change any habits!

Nah. To be fair I haven't had any real issues in the US, it's more that
I know it makes certain people uncomfortable, or at least awkward, so
I'm more concientious. When in CH, I know all DH's friends and family
don't even flinch at the prospect of seeing a boob. I'm in a very
touristy town at the moment, with visitors from all over the world, and
the median age is probably 50-55. I've BF'd *everywhere* - partly
because I have little choice if I don' twant to be locked in a hotel
room, and if anyone gives me a "look" at all, it's a smile, tho
probably not due to BF but to the baby I'm carrying. She's the star
attraction, esp in her sling.

Old September 14th 06, 03:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JennP

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

is it really that much of a problem in the US?

I've never had a problem.

JennP.

Old September 14th 06, 05:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
emilymr

JennP wrote:
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
is it really that much of a problem in the US?

I've never had a problem.

Me, neither -- not in the mall, not on the plane, not in the airport
terminal, not downtown in the park, not in the middle of Starbucks (OK,
you get the picture; I'm starting to sound like Dr. Seuss here). Anne,
IIRC, you're moving to Portland, right? Or was it Seattle? Both of
those are very progressive cities, and I'd be very surprised if you had
any trouble.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old September 14th 06, 01:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
is it really that much of a problem in the US?

Never had a problem, neither has any of friends that are breastfeeding now.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old September 14th 06, 02:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

it really that much of a problem in the US? I certainly didn't notice
anything different when we were there a month ago, given we're moving
there in 3 weeks, it would be useful to know what to expect, not that it's
going to make me change any habits!

I've never had a problem and I've NIP a lot, even with bigger kids.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old September 14th 06, 02:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"Anne Rogers" wrote and I snipped:
At least in Switzerland where I am now - I can BF anywhere and no one
even bats an eyelash, in fact I have FIL gazing lovingly saying what a
beautiful natural thing it is and how happy he is to see his new
granddaughter nourished so....

is it really that much of a problem in the US? I certainly didn't notice
anything different when we were there a month ago, given we're moving
there in 3 weeks, it would be useful to know what to expect, not that it's
going to make me change any habits!

Seattle seems to be a progressive city, so I don't think you should worry
about NIP there. I have had some problems and felt self-conscious many
times. There were the teenaged boys pointing and stealing glances at a mall
in Denver. There were the 3 adults glancing and whispering in the airport
in Virginia. There was the waiter in a restaurant who completely abandoned
our table during the nursing session.

And, so many women cover up with blankets. I don't think they'd do so if
the environment was more breastfeeding-friendly. Just yesterday, the mom I
was talking to while our sons practiced soccer covered up as she nursed. I
was standing right next to her as the baby latched on, and there was
absolutely no skin showing. Why then throw a blanket on? This baby was her
5th, so I thought she would have been more comfortable than she appeared.

It would be bliss to travel to a place where it was more taken for granted.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old September 14th 06, 03:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

"PattyMomVA" wrote in message
And, so many women cover up with blankets. I don't think they'd do so if
the environment was more breastfeeding-friendly. Just yesterday, the mom

was talking to while our sons practiced soccer covered up as she nursed.

was standing right next to her as the baby latched on, and there was
absolutely no skin showing. Why then throw a blanket on?

So what.!! If she is more comfortable for herself to cover, I don't see why
it's such a big deal. I think women should do what they are comfortable
with. It seems it's not enough to breastfeed, but we have to conform to what
others think should be done. Perhaps the baby was easily distracted. It's
just not a big deal at all.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)