She refuses to nap!

Old January 31st 07, 04:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Default She refuses to nap!

Like I said, she's not hugely fussy or too overtired due to the lack
of naps (tho mom and dad are!), but I don't buy that my 7month old can
get by on less than 8 hrs sleep!

sounds to me like you have a difficult child sleepwise, compounded by the
fact she is in daycare (please don't take any offense in that, it's not
meant as criticism, just a restatement of what you've already stated),
you've tried a good number of tricks and nothing seems to have much sucess,
yet, you still have a child who is getting so little sleep, that it really
cannot be good for her, which to me screams professional help, I just don't
know how you get that, or how you find someone who doesn't just have one
agenda (i.e. just makes you do it their way and bangs that into you), but
observes the family situation and makes gentle changes and if necessary
bigger ones to get everyone pointing on the right track. Usually when people
post on here they haven't tried everything, or if there are thing they
haven't tried, they aren't willing to and prefer to go with the current
situation, it seems that most people pick up some tips and can make some
improvements, even if not making everything perfect, but here, you've
already tried so many things, that I don't think the internet, or a book,
can help, you need to be working with the people who write the books!

as an aside, I really don't buy the "I'm a bad sleeper, she must have
inherited it", I just don't think that's a good mindset to have, even if you
can produced evidence that there is a correlation, fwiw, I'm not a great
sleeper now, at times, I'm disasterous, but as a baby I was a slightly non
typical, but very parent friendly, I always took less naps than normal for
my age, instead lieing in longer in the mornings whilst still going to bed
early. I think adult sleep problems may run in families, my grandparents
resorted to twin beds donkies years ago to combat sleep problems, my mum
started having sleep problems in her 30s and I in my late teens, yet none of
us were problem sleepers as babies, I have one kid who is a bad sleeper, who
lies awake for an hour before going to sleep and one who is a dream, who
knows what they'll be like as adults!

Anne

Old January 31st 07, 04:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CJRA

On Jan 30, 10:33 pm, "Anne Rogers" wrote:
Like I said, she's not hugely fussy or too overtired due to the lack
of naps (tho mom and dad are!), but I don't buy that my 7month old can
get by on less than 8 hrs sleep!

sounds to me like you have a difficult child sleepwise, compounded by the
fact she is in daycare (please don't take any offense in that, it's not
meant as criticism, just a restatement of what you've already stated),

None taken. I think that IS part of it. She sleeps great at daycare
and it's a great environment for her - she's happy there, she loves
the other kids, and the sitter takes care of her well IMO. However, I
think she does what she does on weekends because she has mommy and
daddy around.

For awhile my DH kept saying it was because she was playing us, that
she knew I'd give in and hold her all day (prior to this he always
supported the level of attention I give her). That may be right, but
when I tried just letting her be, it didn't help.

[...]

Hmmm, you may be right, but I'm not quite that desperate yet. I do
worry about her lack of sleep being a developmental problem, but
during the week she does usually get sufficient sleep, so it's not a
chronic issue, IYKWIM. We will see her developmental Pedi on March 7,
so I may wait the one more month and see how things go, then bring it
up then. Overall she does seem to be developing fine - slower than
some but well within the range of normal. I more bothered by our lack
of sleep!

My mom is coming to stay for a week and DD will stay home with her.
Last time she slept beautifully for my mom at home, in our house, but
still not for us on the weekends. So we'll see what happens this time.

as an aside, I really don't buy the "I'm a bad sleeper, she must have
inherited it", I just don't think that's a good mindset to have, even if you
can produced evidence that there is a correlation, fwiw, I'm not a great
sleeper now, at times, I'm disasterous, but as a baby I was a slightly non
typical, but very parent friendly, I always took less naps than normal for
my age, instead lieing in longer in the mornings whilst still going to bed
early. I think adult sleep problems may run in families, my grandparents
resorted to twin beds donkies years ago to combat sleep problems, my mum
started having sleep problems in her 30s and I in my late teens, yet none of
us were problem sleepers as babies, I have one kid who is a bad sleeper, who
lies awake for an hour before going to sleep and one who is a dream, who
knows what they'll be like as adults!

Well, I was a bad sleeper as a baby and toddler too ;-). My mom says
it's just my comeuppance (sp?)....

On another note, last night I slept in a different room, and she co-
slept with DH, partly due to my being sick but we wanted to see if
she'd wake less/nurse less if I wasn't there, if he could soothe her
to sleep. Nope. She definitely wanted to nurse and each time he waited
a while, then finally gave in and brought her to me. She nurses about
every 3-4 hrs at night. Next week I'll be away two nights (and arrive
at midnight on the third), so we'll see how that goes!