Will I be tired of nursing for the baby?

Old December 1st 07, 07:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

Default Will I be tired of nursing for the baby?

Ages ago I had decided to nurse DD until she was 2 (or thereabouts). She's
2 in January and still loves it. We've cut back a lot - my suggestion not
hers and she often asks to nurse, at which I just delay it for as long as
possible, (how about after the bath, let's have a cuddle first etc etc).
I'm pregnant with Number 2, due late March early April some time. I've read
enough articles and posts, and knowing DD that I'm pretty sure even if I
managed to wean her when she's 2, when the baby comes along a few months
later she'll want to start up again. So I was thinking instead I'll just
keep on the way I am, but keep slowly winding it back, and maybe phase it
out after the baby arrives and the novelty has worn off - does that sound
like a plan?
The problem is that I'm really feeling sometimes that I've just had enough -
and it hurts quite often - I guess because of the pregnancy and although I
plan on just powering on I do worry that I won't have the same commitment to
feeding number 2 as I'll just be so sick of it - or will I feel different as
it will be a brand new little one?
If I plan on taking that one to 2 years it will be just over 4 years of non
stop nursing - I love it in principle, but feel like in practise I've had
enough.
Any thoughts?

Old December 1st 07, 08:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On Nov 30, 10:49 pm, "Linda" wrote:
as
possible, (how about after the bath, let's have a cuddle first etc etc).
I'm pregnant with Number 2, due late March early April some time. I've read
enough articles and posts, and knowing DD that I'm pretty sure even if I
managed to wean her when she's 2, when the baby comes along a few months
later she'll want to start up again. So I was thinking instead I'll just
keep on the way I am, but keep slowly winding it back, and maybe phase it
out after the baby arrives and the novelty has worn off - does that sound
like a plan?

If your milk supply has dwindled during the pregnancy, it may be
easier to wean before the baby comes. Once there is a lot more milk
and a nursing baby as a reminder, it may be more challenging.

The problem is that I'm really feeling sometimes that I've just had enough -
and it hurts quite often - I guess because of the pregnancy and although I
plan on just powering on I do worry that I won't have the same commitment to
feeding number 2 as I'll just be so sick of it - or will I feel different as
it will be a brand new little one?

The new one will be so little, you may find it easy to nurse your
little one, but much more challenging to nurse your older child.
After tandem nursing, I was relieved to be nursing one again.

On the other hand, if you find nursing two at once tolerable, you can
have the advantage of having them both occupied. Some women are
comfortable nursing two at the same time, but it is also not uncommon
to feel like throwing your older child across the room when doing it.

If I plan on taking that one to 2 years it will be just over 4 years of non
stop nursing - I love it in principle, but feel like in practise I've had
enough.
Any thoughts?

Have you seen the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing"? It would give
you a chance to read about many women's experiences in tandem nursing
and deciding whether to tandem nurse. It is very supportive, whether
you decide weaning or continuing nursing is right in your situation.

--Betsy
Old December 1st 07, 08:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

"betsy" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 10:49 pm, "Linda" wrote:
as
possible, (how about after the bath, let's have a cuddle first etc etc).
I'm pregnant with Number 2, due late March early April some time. I've
read
enough articles and posts, and knowing DD that I'm pretty sure even if I
managed to wean her when she's 2, when the baby comes along a few months
later she'll want to start up again. So I was thinking instead I'll just
keep on the way I am, but keep slowly winding it back, and maybe phase it
out after the baby arrives and the novelty has worn off - does that sound
like a plan?

If your milk supply has dwindled during the pregnancy, it may be
easier to wean before the baby comes. Once there is a lot more milk
and a nursing baby as a reminder, it may be more challenging.

It has definitely dwindled, but there have been times when I've basically
felt like she was just sucking on skin with nothing coming out - for ages -
and just happy with the comfort. (Sorry if that sounds gross). So I really
don't think that just having less milk is going to deter her. - On the
other hand I remember once about 6 or 7 months ago for some reason I was
really engorged and sore and she kept on telling me she'd had enough and I
kept on asking her to have just a bit more until she finally vomited - wow
did I feel guilty!!

The problem is that I'm really feeling sometimes that I've just had
enough -
and it hurts quite often - I guess because of the pregnancy and although
plan on just powering on I do worry that I won't have the same commitment
feeding number 2 as I'll just be so sick of it - or will I feel different
as
it will be a brand new little one?

The new one will be so little, you may find it easy to nurse your
little one, but much more challenging to nurse your older child.
After tandem nursing, I was relieved to be nursing one again.

Well there is that - I guess it will be a different experience to compare
the two of them.

On the other hand, if you find nursing two at once tolerable, you can
have the advantage of having them both occupied. Some women are
comfortable nursing two at the same time, but it is also not uncommon
to feel like throwing your older child across the room when doing it.

If I plan on taking that one to 2 years it will be just over 4 years of
non
stop nursing - I love it in principle, but feel like in practise I've had
enough.
Any thoughts?

Have you seen the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing"? It would give
you a chance to read about many women's experiences in tandem nursing
and deciding whether to tandem nurse. It is very supportive, whether
you decide weaning or continuing nursing is right in your situation.

I've seen it mentioned a few times but haven't read it. Will try to check
at the library for it.
Thanks for your comments

Old December 1st 07, 07:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"Linda" wrote in message

The problem is that I'm really feeling sometimes that I've just had
enough - and it hurts quite often - I guess because of the pregnancy and
although I plan on just powering on I do worry that I won't have the same
commitment to feeding number 2 as I'll just be so sick of it - or will I
feel different as it will be a brand new little one?
If I plan on taking that one to 2 years it will be just over 4 years of
non stop nursing - I love it in principle, but feel like in practise I've
had enough.
Any thoughts?

I considered tandeming my older two boys (24mos apart). I ultimately
decided to wean my first during the pregnancy. He was not happy about it
but I was beyond ready to have him weaned. The baby was born 4mos later and
I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed nursing the baby. It is
different then nursing a toddler and especially nursing during a pregnancy.
I was also surprised that my older son didn't ask to nurse at all. I
thought he might because he was so attached to it but nothing. I was
nursing the new baby when he first saw us and I think that was the perfect
thing to do. He seemed to just know that the baby was part of us and
belonged. He had always been quite panicky about pushing any other baby or
child off my lap so I was worried about it.

Congrats on the pg

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old December 1st 07, 08:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Linda wrote:
[...]

I've never nursed while pregnant myself, but I've heard that a lot of
women can develop an aversion to nursing while pregnant - it seems to be
evolution's way of trying to get you to concentrate on nourishing one
child at a time. (In fact, your body should be quite capable of
nourishing one child inside you and one outside you simultaneously, but
we evolved in times when available food was often a lot less than now,
and so this is how your body's programmed.) So I suspect the problem
may be not so much the length of time you've been nursing for as the
fact that you're pregnant now.

Seems to me your options are either 1. wind things down during the
pregnancy and then decide when the baby arrives whether or not you're
prepared to go tandem at that time (and there are always intermediate
steps then, like letting her have a taste if she wants it without going
back to full-time nursing), or 2. keep nursing all through. I can't see
that you've got anything to lose by trying the first option and it
sounds as though it may be easier on you, but that's a decision only you
can make, so if you feel on thinking about it that you don't really want
to wean no. 1 now after all then ignore me. ;-)

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

...for those tired parents of young children! "The Baby Sleep Solution" samurai Solutions 1 July 14th 07 12:23 AM
why does my baby move so much during nursing bestlittlecow Breastfeeding 3 December 12th 06 03:54 AM
Baby sleeps while nursing! HELP! Familie Knots Breastfeeding 5 October 3rd 06 06:26 PM
tired baby? Linda Breastfeeding 2 August 5th 06 02:27 PM
pregnant..nursing a 14 mo...miserable...tired BABYGINAVIE Breastfeeding 10 September 2nd 03 08:51 PM